CALENDAR FOR JUNE 28
• Legal Aid of North Carolina will conduct a wills and advance directives clinic, in cooperation with law students, private attorneys and Brick Capital Community Development Corporation, at the W.B. Wicker Business Campus, Sanford Business Suites A, at 900 Vance St., Sanford. Participants must have been preregistered prior to June 21.
• The 2013 Temple Theatre Summer Youth Conservatory will present “Ella” at 7 p.m. at 120 Carthage St., Sanford. Homecoming Week has arrived at Seymour High. Ella Cinders desperately wants to make it to the big dance. Of course, her stepmother is conspiring against her, and she doesn't have a date. With the help of The Glitter Girls, can Ella make it to the dance? Will homecoming king and leader of the Golden Boys, Zach Prince, notice? Tickets are $6 for children, $12 for adults. To order tickets or learn more, visit www.templeshows.com or call the box office at (919) 774-4155 Monday through Friday from 2-6 p.m.
• The All-State Youth Choir of the North Carolina United Methodist Church (UMC) will present a free concert at 7 p.m. at Jonesboro UMC, 407 W. Main St., Sanford. The 30 high school students are chosen through audition and personal recommendation for an intensive week of rehearsals and touring. Now in its 18th year, the All-State Youth Choir is directed by Jonathan P. Brotherton of Greensboro College, where students gather for music camp before starting their tour. A voluntary love offering will be taken to help defray the choir’s tour expenses.
• A gospel extravaganza fundraiser for Another Choice for Black Children Adoption Agency will be held at 4 p.m. (doors open 3 p.m.) at the Lee County Arts and Community Center, 507 N. Steele St., Sanford. Special guest group Ka-Nected of Statesville will perform, and also on the program are Promise of Lillington, Sons of Destiny of Colon and The Anointed Ones of Sanford, among others. Tony Spears will be master of ceremonies. Admission is $10 in advance, $12 at the door. For tickets, contact Another Choice at (919) 775-1107 or Sue Wilson at (919) 356-8242 or (919) 775-5265.
• A cornhole tournament and fundraiser will be held from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. at Cape Fear Christian Academy, 138 Erwin Chapel Road, Erwin. There is a $25 registration fee per team, and a $5 meal ticket will get a burger or two hot dogs, chips and a drink. The event will also include live music, prizes and a 50/50 raffle. Proceeds will enable Animal Life to rescue, rehab, feed, foster and transport animals from local high-kill shelters to loving homes.
• A book signing for the newly released work by local author Frances Eastridge will be held from 11 a.m.-2 p.m. at The Carpenter Shop, 2431 Jefferson Davis Highway, Sanford. According to a prepared statement, “Eastridge is living proof that a poor, Southern farm girl, raised at the end of the Depression, could grow up, get married and have a family only to lose them all — and yet come out victoriously with God in her life.”
• The 2013 Temple Theatre Summer Youth Conservatory will present “Ella” at 2 and 7 p.m. at 120 Carthage St., Sanford. Tickets are $6 for children, $12 for adults. To order tickets or learn more, visit www.templeshows.com or call the box office at (919) 774-4155 Monday through Friday from 2-6 p.m.
• The Sanford Farmers Market will be held from 9 a.m.-noon at Depot Park in downtown Sanford. Patrons can purchase the best of locally grown, seasonal fresh fruits, vegetables and other produce. For further information about buying or selling at the market, please call Sue Buie at (919) 356-3007 or email DonnaBuie@aol.com or see www.facebook.com/pages/Sanford-Farmers-Market/219549214730985.
• A concealed-carry permit class will begin at 8 a.m. at Tramway Fire Department, 5900 McDaniel Drive, Sanford. There is a $30 nonrefundable registration fee. This will go toward the total cost of the class, which is $60. Class size will be limited. This is an all-day class, and participants will need to bring a handgun (or share with someone in class), ammunition (80 rounds), safety glasses, earplugs, a holster and a ball cap for the shooting range. Those who would like to register or have any questions can contact Josh Dunigan at (919) 498-4480 or Kelli Dunigan at (919) 478-2082.
• The 2013 Temple Theatre Summer Youth Conservatory will present “Ella” at 2 p.m. at 120 Carthage St., Sanford. Tickets are $6 for children, $12 for adults. To order tickets or learn more, visit www.templeshows.com or call the box office at (919) 774-4155 Monday through Friday from 2-6 p.m.
• On the first Tuesday of each month, Temple Theatre is teaming up with The Comedy Zone to present a lineup of standup comics. Doors open at 6 p.m., and shows start at 7 p.m., at 120 Carthage St. Single show tickets are $15; see www.templeshows.com to order. Tonight: Tim Kidd & Jamie Martin.
• The Victims of Sexual Assault Support Group meeting will be held from 6:30–7:30 p.m. at 215 Bracken Street, Sanford. Haven in Lee County encourages all survivors to attend. Please call (919) 775-8923 for more information.