CALENDAR FOR JUNE 5
• Sanford Jobseekers will meet at First Baptist Church from 8:30-10 a.m. All who are seeking employment are encouraged to attend. Job leads, job-search support and encouragement are provided. First-time attendees should be bring a resume. Call (919) 776-6137 for more information.
• Today is the deadline to sign up for The Chatham County Center of North Carolina Cooperative Extension's pollinator conservation workshop and garden tour, part of the extension's Enhancing Sustainability Series, on June 8 from 2-5 p.m., starting in the auditorium of the Agriculture Building in Pittsboro. Participants will learn about the principles of planting a pollinator garden and how to select trees, shrubs, herbaceous perennials, herbs, vines and grasses to attract a diversity of pollinators. Registration details are on Cooperative Extension's Growing Small Farms website at http://go.ncsu.edu/gsfworkshops.
• High school graduation for Lee Christian School will be held at 7 p.m. at the Dennis A. Wicker Civic Center.
• High school graduation for Grace Christian School will be held at 7 p.m. in the Grace Chapel sanctuary.
• Lee County High School graduation will be held at 7:30 p.m. at McCracken Field at Paul B. Gay Stadium.
• The Gregg Gelb Jazz Trio, with Court Stewart, piano, and Chris Gelb, drums, will perform from 6:30-9:30 p.m. at the Flame Steakhouse, 109 Carbonton Road, Sanford.
• A Covenant Preparatory School open house will be held at 7 p.m. at New Covenant Fellowship Church, 1305 Hulsey Road, Carthage. Those interested in finding out more can visit www.covenantprep.com, contact Kristin at (910) 673-1025 or (201) 417-0481, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The school is now enrolling grades K-12. School is scheduled to open in fall 2013.
• The Sanford Business and Professional Women's monthly meeting will be held at 5 p.m. at the Community Arts Building at the corner of Horner Boulevard and Weatherspoon Street. The speaker will be Michele Bullard, American Red Cross. Networking will be from 5-5:30 p.m., followed by the speaker at 5:30 p.m., officer installation and meeting at 5:45 p.m. and adjournment at 6:30 p.m.
• Southern Lee High School graduation will be held at 7:30 p.m. at Cavalier Stadium.
• Today is the last day of school for Lee County Schools.
• The Carolina Artsits' Colony will host a beach party from 5:30-8:30 p.m. at 148 S. Moore St., Sanford. For a donation of $5, attendees will receive a hot dog, chips, a drink and a cookie. Their tickets will enter them into a raffle for a $30 gift certificate to the Colony. Those who are coming are encouraged to wear their best, funniest and most creative beach attire and enter to win a basket of gifts made and donated by our artists.
• Guests are invited to a program from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. at the Raven Rock State Park Visitor Center in Lillington, where they will learn about the importance of pollinators. The event will focus on bees, with a live exhibit, as well as butterflies and hummingbirds. There will be children's crafts, face painting, a showing of the award-winning film “Wings of Life,” a waggle dance lesson and much more.
• The Carolina Pines Ballroom Chapter 6091 USA Dance will hold a Beach Party Dance at 7 p.m., featuring music (some beach themed), food and dance at 105 McReynolds St. Carthage (across the street from Fred's on the second floor of the Sinclair Building). The dance begins with snacks, then a complementary dance lesson from 7:30-8 p.m. and open dancing from 8-10 p.m. Singles and couples are welcome. Please bring an appetizer or a food to share if possible. This is a smoke free/alcohol free event. The cost is $7 for members, $10 for guests, and all first-time guests get in free. For more information, call Asunda at (919) 356-2784 or visit www.DancingInTheCarolinaPines.org.
• In celebration of its 30th anniversary, Express Employment Professionals will hold a “Brand It Blue Day,” joining together to fight hunger by collecting and delivering food donations to the Food Bank of Central and Eastern North Carolina. Today is the final day for local residents to drop off non-perishables from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. at 2230 Jefferson Davis Highway, Sanford. To learn more, call (919) 775-1292.
• The Chatham County Center of North Carolina Cooperative Extension will offer a pollinator conservation workshop and garden tour as part of its Enhancing Sustainability Series from 2-5 p.m., starting in the auditorium of the Agriculture Building in Pittsboro. Chatham County Agricultural Extension Agent Debbie Roos will give an overview of North Carolina pollinators and discuss the role of native bees and managed bees in crop pollination. Participants will learn about the principles of planting a pollinator garden and how to select trees, shrubs, herbaceous perennials, herbs, vines and grasses to attract a diversity of pollinators. The workshop will conclude with a tour of Cooperative Extension’s pollinator garden at Chatham Mills, about half a mile from the Agriculture Building. To take a virtual tour of the pollinator garden, visit http://go.ncsu.edu/pollinator-garden-virtual-tour.