CALENDAR FOR DEC. 31
• The Central Carolina Jaycees will hold a New Year's party starting at 8 p.m. This BYOB party will be hosted at Ellen Duncan's home. Please message or email her at email@example.com for directions. Those planning to attend are encouraged to bring snacks.
• The Lee County Library will close at 6 p.m.
• All Chatham County library branches will close at 6 p.m. and will be closed on Wednesday, Jan. 1. Normal hours will resume on Thursday, Jan. 2.
• Tommy Edwards and The Bluegrass Experience will perform a New Year's Eve concert at 8 p.m. at Temple Theatre, 120 Carthage St., Sanford — continuing a tradition begun more than a decade ago. Four special guests will be appearing with the band. Tickets for the show are available at the theater's box office, online at firstname.lastname@example.org, and by phone at (919) 774-4155. Tickets may also be purchased in Pittsboro at Red Gate Antiques, Art and Music, 107 Hillsboro St., or from the band at (919) 542-5649. See www.templeshows.com.
• Raven Rock State Park's superintendent will lead a first-day hike to Raven Rock at 1 p.m., with participants meeting at the picnic shelter for the 2.5-mile hike. Participants are advised to wear appropriate clothing and good walking shoes and bring a bottle of water. First-day hikes are a tradition celebrated statewide in N.C. Parks. For more information, visit the N.C. State Parks blog page at http://ncstateparks.wordpress.com/2013/12/17/first-day-hikes-tradition-continues-at-state-parks/. Call the Raven Rock State Park office for further details or questions at (910) 893-4888.
• The city of Sanford offices will be closed in observance of New Year's Day.
• The Lee County Library will be closed in observance of New Year's day.
• Lee County offices will be closed in observance of New Year's Day.
• Kendale Bowling Lanes will host a New Year's Day handicap nine-pin, no-tap tournament at 6 p.m. at 139 Rand St., Sanford. The entry fee is $25.
• The Sanford Business and Professional Women's Club will hold its monthly meeting, with networking starting at 5 p.m., at Elizabeth's Pizza — 1009 Spring Lane, Sanford. In honor of the new year, this month's topic is "SMART" goal setting. The meeting starts at 5:30 p.m.. Guests interested in learning more about BPW are invited to attend.
• The annual Alzheimer's and Dementia Workshop, with dementia care specialist Teepa Snow, will be held from 1-4 p.m., followed by a question-and-answer session from 4-4:30 p.m., at the Dennis A. Wicker Civic Center, 1801 Nash St., Sanford. The event is sponsored by the Enrichment Center of Lee County and open to the general public. Call (919) 776-0501 x2230 to register or learn more.
• Comedian Cee Jay Jones will perform at 7 p.m. at Temple Theatre, 120 Carthage St., Sanford. Doors open at 6 p.m. Jones has appeared on BET's “Comic View” and “Showtime at the Apollo.” General admission tickets are $15. Military, police, firefighters and Lee County school employees receive half off. Call the box office at (919) 774-4155 or see https://www.vendini.com/ticket-software.html?m=81e3ccd7551f3180c82536e4cd325e2a&t=tix to order online.
• The Downtown Sanford, Inc. monthly board of directors meeting will be held from 8–9 a.m. at 226 Carthage St., Sanford. The public is encouraged to attend. For more information, call (919) 775-8332, fax (919) 775-8207, email email@example.com or visit www.downtownsanford.com.
• The next scheduled Lee County Library Trustee meeting will be held at 5:15 p.m. in the conference room of the Main Library, 107 Hawkins Ave., Sanford. The agenda includes Quiz Bowl and budget.
• Special guest Edwin Cole Bearss will present "Earl Van Dorn" at 7 p.m. at the Rufus Barringer Round Table, which will meet in a special location — Pinehurst Village Hall, 395 Magnolia Road, Pinehurst. Bearss is historian emeritus for the National Park Service, an author and preservationist. Refreshments will be served at 6:15 p.m. For more information, please call (910) 235-0946 or (910) 695-9058.
• A newborn care class, designed to educate parents on the physical care of the newborn, development needs of the young infant and adjustment to parenthood, will be held at 6:30 p.m. in the community classroom at Central Carolina Community College, 1135 Carthage St., Sanford. To register, go to http://www.centralcarolinahosp.com/en-US/CWSApps/FindAnEvent.aspx?ClassLink=1863
• Chatham Community Library will host a free affordable health care workshop that is open to the public from 1-3 p.m. in the computer lab of the main branch in Pittsboro. The workshop will be led by certified application counselors and will include one-on-one enrollment sessions. Participants who plan to enroll should bring social security numbers for each person in the household who needs coverage (or document numbers for legal immigrants), employer and income information (such as W-2s or pay stubs) for each person in the household, and policy numbers for any current health insurance anyone in the household currently has. The workshop is sponsored by the League of Women Voters, UNC Healthcare, and Get Covered America. For more information, call the library at (919) 545-8084.