CALENDAR FOR JAN. 5
• The annual Alzheimer's and Dementia Workshop, with dementia care specialist Teepa Snow, will be held from 1-4 p.m., followed by a question-and-answer session from 4-4:30 p.m., at the Dennis A. Wicker Civic Center, 1801 Nash St., Sanford. The event is sponsored by the Enrichment Center of Lee County and open to the general public. Call (919) 776-0501 x 2230 to register or learn more.
• Toddlers and preschoolers are invited to story time today and every Tuesday at 10 a.m. at the Broadway Library, 206 S. Main St., Broadway. This week's theme is “Winter!” Those in attendance will share stories, sing songs, do rhymes and more. For more information, please call Delisa Williams at (919) 718-4665 x 5484.
• Comedian Cee Jay Jones will perform at 7 p.m. at Temple Theatre, 120 Carthage St., Sanford. Doors open at 6 p.m. Jones has appeared on BET's “Comic View” and “Showtime at the Apollo.” General admission tickets are $15. Military, police, firefighters and Lee County school employees receive half off. Call the box office at (919) 774-4155 or see https://www.vendini.com/ticket-software.html?m=81e3ccd7551f3180c82536e4cd325e2a&t=tix to order online.
• The Downtown Sanford, Inc. monthly board of directors meeting will be held from 8–9 a.m. at 226 Carthage St., Sanford. The public is encouraged to attend. For more information, call (919) 775-8332, fax (919) 775-8207, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.downtownsanford.com.
• Saltydog House Concerts will present The Bumper Jacksons, a group that plays country swing, roots jazz, street blues and more, at 7:30 p.m. at 21578 N.C. Highway 24/27, Cameron. Salty Dog is a new venture in which nationally touring musicians come to perform in the intimate atmosphere of someone's living room. Friends, neighbors, and community members gather to enjoy different styles of music, food and fellowship. Call (919) 353-1278 or email Rob120m@aol.com to get on the guest list. Refreshments and snacks will be served. Suggested donation is $15. All proceeds go to cover the expenses and travel costs of the musicians.
• Sanford jobseekers will meet Wednesday from 8:30-10 a.m. at First Baptist Church in Sanford. Visitors are invited to start the new year by hitting the job search hard and getting some encouragement too. Call (919) 776-6137 for more information.
• This week's story time theme for toddlers will be at 10 a.m. at the main library on Hawkins Avenue in Sanford. The theme will be "Winter!" For more information, please contact Delisa Williams at (919) 718-4665 x 5484.
• The next scheduled Lee County Library Trustee meeting will be held at 5:15 p.m. in the conference room of the Main Library, 107 Hawkins Ave., Sanford. The agenda includes Quiz Bowl and budget.
• This week's story time theme for preschoolers will be at 11 a.m. at the main library on Hawkins Avenue in Sanford. The theme will be "Winter!" For more information, please contact Delisa Williams at (919) 718-4665 x 5484.
• Meals on Wheels of Sanford will hold its monthly board of directors meeting on Thursday at 9:30 a.m. in the library of the First Presbyterian Church on Hawkins Avenue. The agenda will include the swearing in of the 2014 officers by Carrie Carpenter Nicholson, youth minister of St. Luke's. Guests and interested members of the community are invited to attend. There will be light refreshments to help celebrate the occasion.
• Special guest Edwin Cole Bearss will present "Earl Van Dorn" at 7 p.m. at the Rufus Barringer Round Table, which will meet in a special location — Pinehurst Village Hall, 395 Magnolia Road, Pinehurst. Bearss is historian emeritus for the National Park Service, an author and preservationist. Refreshments will be served at 6:15 p.m. For more information, please call (910) 235-0946 or (910) 695-9058.
• A newborn care class, designed to educate parents on the physical care of the newborn, development needs of the young infant and adjustment to parenthood, will be held at 6:30 p.m. in the community classroom at Central Carolina Community College, 1135 Carthage St., Sanford. To register, go to http://www.centralcarolinahosp.com/en-US/CWSApps/FindAnEvent.aspx?ClassLink=1863
• Chatham Community Library will host a free affordable health care workshop that is open to the public from 1-3 p.m. in the computer lab of the main branch in Pittsboro. The workshop will be led by certified application counselors and will include one-on-one enrollment sessions. Participants who plan to enroll should bring social security numbers for each person in the household who needs coverage (or document numbers for legal immigrants), employer and income information (such as W-2s or pay stubs) for each person in the household, and policy numbers for any current health insurance anyone in the household currently has. The workshop is sponsored by the League of Women Voters, UNC Healthcare and Get Covered America. For more information, call the library at (919) 545-8084.
• The Quilting and Fiber Art Marketplace will be held today from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. and continue tomorrow at the Dennis Wicker Civic Center in Sanford — offering fabrics, books, patterns, yarns, buttons, sewing machines and long-arm quilting machines, mixed media and more. This is the QFAM's fourth year to return to Sanford for this show. There will be a drawing for a Pfaff Hobby 1122 sewing machine at at 3 p.m. Entrants must be present to win the sewing machine. Admission is $6, and a $1 off admission coupon and more information about hotel rates are available at www.quiltersgallery.net.
• The Quilting and Fiber Art Marketplace will be held from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. at the Dennis Wicker Civic Center in Sanford — offering fabrics, books, patterns, yarns, buttons, sewing machines and long-arm quilting machines, mixed media and more. This is the QFAM's fourth year to return to Sanford for this show. There will be a drawing for a Bernette 46 sewing machine at 3 p.m. Entrants must be present to win. Admission is $6, and a $1 off admission coupon and more information about hotel rates are available at www.quiltersgallery.net.
• The Sanford Youth Council will meet from 4–5:30 p.m. at 225 E. Weatherspoon St., Sanford. Teens in grades 9 through 12 are encouraged to participate. Meetings are held at the Sanford Municipal Center (West End Conference room) unless otherwise noted.
• Susan Tillis will speak to the Lee County Republican Women from 6:30-8 p.m. at Lee County GOP headquarters in Sanford.
• Area residents are invited to a public comment session at 6 p.m. at the Goldston Public Library. Chatham County Public Libraries will hold four sessions in January to solicit public comment from county residents. Residents are encouraged to attend a session at the libraries they use most often. The discussions are free and open to the public. One winner of a VISA gift card will be announced at each session. More than 500 citizens responded to a county-wide survey, the results of which will form the basis of these discussions. For more information, call project coordinator Jennifer Gillis at (919) 545-8083.
• Lee County Superintendent Andy Bryan will hold a meet-and-greet event at 5:30 p.m. at East Lee Middle School.