CALENDAR FOR JULY 17
• Brick City South (classic rock, country, pop) will perform at the Function at the Junction summer concert series at 7 p.m. in Depot Park, 106 Charlotte Ave., Sanford. Attendees can bring lawn chairs, blankets and a picnic supper to the free outdoor concert provided by Downtown Sanford Inc. For more information, call (919) 777-1400 or contact email@example.com.
• The Carolina Mountain Dulcimers will meet at 7 p.m. at the Carol Woods Retirement Community in Chapel Hill. Beginners, experts and all stringed instruments are welcome. For more information and directions, contact Shirley Ray at ShirleyRay@aol.com or (919) 929-5359.
• The Lee County Library will be “Fizzing and Booming with Science,” featuring Nate the Mad Scientist, during a summer reading program at 2 p.m. in the auditorium of the Main Library, 107 Hawkins Ave., Sanford; the program is for grades 4-6. For more information, please contact Delisa Williams at (919) 718-4665 x 5484 or Sheneeta Thomas at x 5485.
• A Sanford Area Chamber of Commerce am buzz event will be held at 7:30 a.m. at Sanford Auto Brokers, 1803 Keller Andrews Road, Sanford. The event will include door prizes, a 50/50 raffle, coffee and breakfast.
• A weekly hike will be held from 9–10 a.m. at Raven Rock State Park in Lillington. Participants will join Raven Rock's office assistant on a two-to-five-mile hike on trails that can be flat, hilly and include steps. The hike is for ages 12 and up; attendees should wear sturdy hiking shoes and bring water. Please call (910) 893-4888 to register; meet at the visitor center rain or shine.
• The Lee County Arts Council is offering a free grant-writing seminar to local community nonprofits, with the first of two two-hour sessions planned from 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the Lee County Arts Council office, 144 S. Steele St. (Steele Street Mall) in Sanford. The seminar will cover fundraising planning and strategy, organizing for writing grants, how to research and identify appropriate grant makers for your organization and writing effective grant narratives. Applications for the Arts Council Grassroots Grants will be available at the seminar, and the process for applying for a Grassroots Grant will be included in the seminar. Reservations are required. Space is limited, so those wishing to attend the seminar should call (919) 774-6139 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to make reservations.
• The Sunrise Theatre will present “Casablanca,” part of its summer classic series, at 7:30 p.m. at 250 N.W. Broad St. in Southern Pines. Admission is $6. Call (910) 692-8501 to learn more.
• The Third Friday ArtWalk will be held from noon-9 p.m. in downtown Siler City. Galleries, shops and eateries will be open late, and live music will be offered in the courtyard. For more information, visit the N.C. Art Incubator‘s website.
• A benefit for Bobby Branch Jr. will be held at 11 a.m. at SRB mini storage units, located at the corner of McNeil Road and U.S. 421 North. Branch was severely burned in a firework explosion recently, and the event will raise funds for his family through sales of hotdogs, lemonade, baked goods and more.
• A Goldston Cruz-N will be held from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. in downtown Goldston, exit 159 on Highway 421 between Sanford and Siler City. Antiques, hot rods, muscle cars and trucks are welcome. Attendees can come visit, show off their hot rods and hear music from the oldie/goldie era. Concessions will be available at Rufus's Cafe. For more information, contact Bruce Denkins at (919) 898-4937 or email email@example.com.
• 11 Bar East Ranch will host a round robin roping event, with sign up at 5 p.m. and start time at 6 p.m., at 2805 Lower Moncure Road. The public is invited; details available at elevenbareastranch.com.
• The fourth annual Flapjack Fundraiser, sponsored by the Goldston Lions Club, will be held from 7-10 a.m. at Applebee's Restaurant across from Riverbirch Shopping Center, 1325 Plaza Blvd., Sanford. The cost is $7, and all proceeds benefit the blind and visually impaired in our community and other local projects in the Goldston area. Tickets can be purchased from any Goldston Lions member or on the day of the event at the door. The meal consists of pancakes, sausage and a drink (coffee, tea, juice, milk or soft drink). The Lions also will have a collection box for eyeglasses.
• Antique dealers will hold their annual Summer Sizzler sale from 10 a.m.-5 p.m., with all shops in downtown Cameron involved in the annual clearance. To learn more, see www.antiquesofcameron.com or call (910) 245-1231.
• The Moore County Genealogical Society will host a free Family History Day workshop from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. at the Moore County Agricultural Center, 707 Pinehurst Ave., Carthage. At 10 a.m., Debra Blake, Collections Service Section manager for the N.C. State Archives, will explain how to find and use information available in the archives. At 11 a.m., Margo Farris Brewer, genealogical researcher and lecturer, will present her lecture, “Beginning Your Research – The How and Where of Genealogical Research.” She returns for the 1 p.m. session to discuss “Ages of the Military – Relating the Age and Laws of Your Ancestor’s Life to Military Service.” At 2 p.m., Judy Martin, Moore County Register of Deeds, will explain the types of records available at her office. Email the Moore County Genealogical Society at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
• A free personal safety event for families will be held from 1-3 p.m. at Black Belt Leadership Academy in Sanford. Participants will learn how to fight off danger no matter where they are and get hands-on practice. There also will be prizes, and attendees are asked to bring a non-perishable food item for Christians United Outreach.
• The Sanford Farmer's Market will be held from 9 a.m.–noon at Depot Park in downtown Sanford. All products are locally grown or hand crafted, and credit, debit and SNAP EBT are welcome. Follow on Facebook for biweekly updates of what's in season, recipes and more — https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sanford-Farmers-Market/219549214730985 — or call (919)-343-8440 or email email@example.com.