CALENDAR FOR DEC. 20
• The Sanford Area Chamber of Commerce's AM Buzz December event will be held at 7:30 a.m. at Tractor Supply Company, 3004 S. Horner Blvd., Sanford. The event will feature door prizes, a 50/50 raffle, coffee and breakfast.
• Lee Early College will hold its December graduation at 1 p.m. at the Dennis Wicker Civic Center in Sanford.
• The Sanford Area Chamber of Commerce and Central Carolina Hospital will hold a ribbon-cutting event, celebrating the grand opening of the new diagnostic catheterization lab, at 4 p.m. at CCH.
• A drawing will be held for "The Taste of Southern Charm” Southern Supreme Carolina Sampler Gift Basket [$53 retail value], which is on display in This-N-That Gift Shop at Central Carolina Hospital. The cost is $1 per entry, and entrants do not have to be present to win. Proceeds benefit Central Carolina Hospital Auxiliary projects.
• The Chatham Community Library Film Club will meet from 7-9 p.m. in the Holmes Meeting Room, 197 Highway 87 North, Pittsboro. The club will usually meet one Friday and one Wednesday each month to screen films, including documentaries, classics and independent films. Join the group as members remember filmmaker Nora Ephron with a screening of her films and the classic movies that inspired her. All guests to this screening are invited to bring their favorite dish for a Julia Child-inspired potluck dinner. Screenings are open to the public ages 18 and up and no registration is required. Feel free to bring snacks. Contact Molly at (919) 545-8084 for more information.
• The Central Carolina Jaycees will host Breakfast with Santa, consisting of pancakes, sausage and beverage (milk, juice or coffee), with three sessions available: 7:30-8:15 a.m., 8:30-9:15 a.m. and 9:30-10:15 a.m. The event will be held at the Jaycee Hut, 809 Tryon St, Sanford, and the cost will be $3 for children and $5 for adults. Seating is limited, so spots must be reserved in advance. To register, please contact any Central Carolina Jaycee member or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Those with dietary restrictions or allergies, please make them known beforehand.
• All Chatham County Public Library branches will be closed today through Wednesday, Dec. 26. Patrons may still check their accounts, renew, and request materials at http://catalog.chathamlibraries.org.
• Lee County offices will be closed today through Wednesday, Dec. 26.
• City of Sanford offices will be closed today through Wednesday.
• The Bluegrass Experience with Tommy Edwards will perform its 13th annual New Year's Eve concert at 8 p.m. at Temple Theatre, 120 Carthage St., Sanford. The group, led by Tommy Edwards, was named the world champion bluegrass band in 1972 and still attracts a sold-out crowd to ring in the new year. Tickets are available from the Temple Theatre box office at (919) 774-4155.
• All branches of Chatham County Public Libraries will close at 6 p.m. and remain closed through Tuesday, Jan. 1. Wren and Goldston Libraries will reopen on Wednesday, Jan. 2 at 10 a.m.; Chatham Community Library in Pittsboro will reopen on Wednesday, Jan. 2 at 9 a.m.
• Lee County offices will be closed today.
• The Downtown Sanford Inc. board of directors will meet from 8-9 a.m. at 200 N. Horner Blvd. (BB&T building), Sanford. The public is encouraged to attend. The mission of DSI is to manage the development of downtown Sanford as the primary economic, cultural, and social center of the community; to educate the community on the unique assets and historical significance of the downtown area, and to promote and stimulate the improvement of these assets. For more information, call (919) 775-8332, email email@example.com or visit www.downtownsanford.com.
• Chatham County invites the public to attend the ribbon cutting and grand opening of the new Justice Center in Pittsboro, which will begin at 2 p.m., followed by a judicial ceremony on the third floor. In the event of bad weather, the ribbon cutting will be held in the second-floor foyer. After 3:30 p.m., the public is invited to tour the public areas of the Justice Center.
• Yada Yada Sisters will meet at 5 p.m. at the Enrichment Center of Lee County. Bring a favorite sandwich and stay to play cards. The sisterhood is a network with other females that offers the opportunity to receive support and encouragement from a sister.
• The Novel Approach Book Group will meet at noon at the Enrichment Center of Lee County. The group will discuss "Shanghai Girls" by Lisa See. The group is open to the general public.
• The Veterans Remembrance Group will meet at 2 p.m. at the Enrichment Center of Lee County, with guest speaker Wade Herrington, who is retired from the U.S. Army.