CALENDAR FOR DEC. 26
• The Herald's business and advertising office will be open from 8 a.m.–2 p.m.
• The two senior centers operated by the Chatham Council on Aging will be open today and Dec. 28, but they will not have classes or meals served.
• The Bluegrass Experience with Tommy Edwards will perform its 13th annual New Year's Eve concert at 8 p.m. at Temple Theatre, 120 Carthage St., Sanford. The group, led by Tommy Edwards, was named the world champion bluegrass band in 1972 and still attracts a sold-out crowd to ring in the new year. Tickets are available from the Temple Theatre box office at (919) 774-4155.
• All branches of Chatham County Public Libraries will close at 6 p.m. and remain closed through Tuesday, Jan. 1. Wren and Goldston Libraries will reopen on Wednesday, Jan. 2, at 10 a.m.; Chatham Community Library in Pittsboro will reopen on Wednesday, Jan. 2, at 9 a.m.
• Lee County offices will be closed today.
• The Downtown Sanford Inc. board of directors will meet from 8-9 a.m. at 200 N. Horner Blvd. (BB&T building), Sanford. The public is encouraged to attend. The mission of DSI is to manage the development of downtown Sanford as the primary economic, cultural, and social center of the community, to educate the community on the unique assets and historical significance of the downtown area, and to promote and stimulate the improvement of these assets. For more information, call (919) 775-8332, email email@example.com or visit www.downtownsanford.com.
• First Hike will begin at 1 p.m. at Raven Rock State Park, Lillington. Start the New Year and enjoy a hike with a park ranger! Participants will hike to Raven Rock, and along the way, the group will make several stops to talk about the surroundings. The hike will be 2.5 miles long. Please wear appropriate clothing and sturdy shoes. Bring bottled water. Those with questions can call the park office at (910) 893-4888; meet at the picnic shelter.
• Chatham County invites the public to attend the ribbon cutting and grand opening of the new Justice Center in Pittsboro, which will begin at 2 p.m., followed by a judicial ceremony on the third floor. In the event of bad weather, the ribbon cutting will be held in the second-floor foyer. After 3:30 p.m., the public is invited to tour the public areas of the Justice Center.
• Yada Yada Sisters will meet at 5 p.m. at the Enrichment Center of Lee County. Bring a favorite sandwich and stay to play cards. The sisterhood is a network with other females that offers the opportunity to receive support and encouragement from a sister.
• The Novel Approach Book Group will meet at noon at the Enrichment Center of Lee County. The group will discuss "Shanghai Girls" by Lisa See. The group is open to the general public.
• The Veterans Remembrance Group will meet at 2 p.m. at the Enrichment Center of Lee County, with guest speaker Wade Herrington, who is retired from the U.S. Army.
• An informal public informational meeting will be held at 7 p.m. at the Ernest amd Ruby McSwain Agricultural Center at 2416 Tramway Road, Sanford. The purpose is to provide an opportunity for the public to meet with the developer and Kimely-Horn and Associates' (traffic engineer/consultant) regarding the improvements to U.S. 1 and Highway 78. They will have drawings and illustrations on how the super street versus traditional design would work. Representatives from the N.C. Department of Transportation will be present to answer questions, and all public comments and concerns will be taken into consideration.
• The Board of Trustees of the Harnett Health System will host a VIP ribbon cutting from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. for the Central Harnett Hospital, 215 Brightwater Drive, Lillington. The event will feature guest speaker Bill Pully, president of the North Carolina Hospital Association, as well as hospital tours and heavy hors d' oeuvres.
• Nifty Noggins volunteers will meet at 10 am. at the Enrichment Center of Lee County. Nifty Noggins are head coverings for cancer patients. Anyone interested may still come by and pick up head coverings. Contact Carole at (919) 776- 0501 x 2205.
• Community Blood Center of the Carolinas will hold a blood drive from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. at Central Carolina Hospital, 1135 Carthage St., Sanford. More public drives can be found at Community Blood Center of the Carolinas’ website at www.cbcc.us. CBCC has donation centers in Charlotte, Concord, Gastonia, Hickory, and Union County (http://www.cbcc.us/about/donor-center-hours.php for center hours). Call (704) 972-4700, or go to www.carolinadonor.org, to make an appointment at any location.
• A free workshop titled "Reaching Beyond the Limitations of Dementia," with Teepa Snow, dementia care specialist, will be offered from 1-4:30 p.m. at the Dennis A. Wicker Civic Center, 1801 Nash St., Sanford. The general public is invited. To sign up, call (919) 776-0501 x 2230.