CALENDAR FOR MARCH 26
• The Lee County Democratic Party will meet at 6:30 p.m. at the party headquarters, 143 Charlotte Ave., Sanford. “The Line,” a documentary about poverty in America, will be shown, followed by a panel discussion. Produced by Sojourner’s Magazine, "The Line" documents the stories of people across the country living at or below the poverty line. Panelists will include Fredrika Cooke of Family Promise, Grace Aiken of Christians United Outreach Center and Marilyn Green of the Helping Hands Clinic. For more information about this meeting and the Lee County Democratic Party, please call (919) 774-4797 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• A “Books are Fun” event will be held from 7 a.m.-3 p.m. in the Central Carolina Hospital GI waiting room adjacent to the ER entrance and waiting room. The event is sponsored by the CCH Auxiliary and will offer books and gifts for men, women and children of all ages. Proceeds benefit Auxiliary projects.
• A seminar titled “50 Low-Cost Marketing Ideas” will be held from 10 a.m.-noon at the Dennis A. Wicker Civic Center, 1801 Nash St., Sanford. Some of the best marketing tools are free or very low cost, and this discussion will include creative ways to get the word out without breaking the bank. Presenter is Alyssa Mako, assistant director, The Women's Business Center of N.C. To register, please call (919) 774-6442 or email email@example.com. Seminars are subject to cancellation without a minimum number of pre-registrations.
• The Lee County Genealogical and Historical Society will hold its regular monthly meeting at 7 p.m. at the Lee County Library, 107 Hawkins Ave., Sanford. Society member Lois Bayer will lead a hands-on session in the library's computer lab on how to use the website Findagrave.com. Meetings are open to the public, and guests are welcome. Call (919) 499-7661 to learn more.
• Temple Theatre will present “The Smell of the Kill” at 2 and 7 p.m. at 120 Carthage St. Three malicious wives, three miserable husbands and plenty of odd situations add up to uproarious laughter in this dark comedy. Mainstage tickets are $23 for adults and $13 for children and students. Discounted tickets are available for $19 for Thursday night performances, active-duty military, Lee County teachers and groups of 10 or more. Tickets are available from the Temple Theatre Box Office at (919) 774-4155 or firstname.lastname@example.org. (The box office is open Monday through Friday from 2 to 6 p.m. It also is open one hour before curtain on show days for will call and walk-up sales only.)
• Paint a Monet-inspired masterpiece with artist Shirley Patterson from 6-8 p.m. at the Carolina Artists' Colony, 148 S. Moore St, downtown Sanford. A $20 fee includes instruction and all supplies needed to create an acrylic painting on canvas, which will complement paintings created in the Feb. 28 class or upcoming April class, or stand alone as a gorgeous artwork in its own right. Visit EVENTS at www.carolinaartistscolony.com for more info. Call the Colony at (919) 776-3489 to register.
• A gestational diabetes nutrition class will be held at 10 a.m. at Central Carolina Hospital in the rehab services classroom, 1135 Carthage Road, room 110, Sanford. Dietitians Holly White and Marsha Kenner will offer free gestational diabetes classes for pregnant women who have been diagnosed with the condition. The class will also be followed by a question-and-answer session. To register, visit http://www.centralcarolinahosp.com/en-US/CWSApps/FindAnEvent.aspx?ClassLink=4021.
• Dietitians Holly White and Marsha Kenner will offer free classes for people who have been diagnosed with diabetes, followed by a question-and-answer session, at at 11 a.m. in the rehab services classroom at Central Carolina Hospital, 1135 Carthage Road, room 110, Sanford. To register, visit www.centralcarolinahosp.com/en-US/CWSApps/FindAnEvent.aspx?ClassLink=4022.
• Lee County N.A.A.C.P. will meet at 6 p.m. at Dreams Cafe & Gourmets, 153 S. Horner Blvd., Sanford. For more information, call (919) 478-1664.
• Temple Theatre will present “The Smell of the Kill” at 8 p.m. today at 120 Carthage St. Mainstage tickets are $23 for adults and $13 for children and students. Discounted tickets are available for $19 for Thursday night performances, active-duty military, Lee County teachers and groups of 10 or more. Tickets are available from the Temple Theatre Box Office at (919) 774-4155 or email@example.com. See www.templeshows.com for more details.
• The Lee County Library (107 Hawkins Ave.) will be closed.
• Johnston-Lee-Harnett Community Action Inc. will host a free, public workshop titled “Tips for a Successful Job Search” at 11 a.m. at 225 S. Steele St., Sanford.
• A medical benefit auction for Eddie Eargle will be held at 7 p.m. at Council Auction in Lakeview, N.C. For directions or details, call Cathy Council at (910) 245-7347.
• City of Sanford offices will be closed today in observance of Good Friday.