CALENDAR FOR FEB. 11
• Story time for toddlers and pre-schoolers will be held at 10 a.m. at the Broadway Library, 206 S. Main St. This week's theme is “Valentine's Day.” Those in attendance will share stories, sing songs, do rhymes and more. For more information please call Delisa Williams at (919) 718-4665 x 5484.
• The sexual assault survivors support group meets tonight and every Tuesday at 6 p.m. at 215 Bracken St., Sanford. Interested persons are urged to call the HAVEN office at (919) 774-8923 and speak with Cecilia or Susan if they have questions.
• A Small Business Center seminar titled “Alternative Financing For Your Small Business” will be held from 3-5 p.m. at the Dennis A. Wicker Civic Center, 1801 Nash St., Sanford. This course will provide information about the U.S. lending environment and issues shaping lending practices of the banking community. Register at https://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/eventReg?oeidk=a07e8mgyyax9045cb99&oseq=&c=&ch= and call Kelly Dehring at Central Carolina SBC at (919) 718-7424 to learn more.
• Chapel Hill elder law attorneys, in coordination with the Chatham County Council on Aging, will hold an elder law workshop from 6-8 p.m. at the Senior Center in Pittsboro, 387 N.C. Highway 87 North. Gregory Herman-Giddens and Kristin L. Burrows, estate planning and elder law attorneys with TrustCounsel, will review laws and tools available to seniors in “A Lawyer’s Perspective: Financial and Legal Strategies and Planning, and Assistance Paying for Long-term Care.” The workshop also offers ways to minimize taxes and create a financial plan for seniors who need to cover in-home or nursing home care expenses. The course also outlines the benefits of Medicaid, changes to N.C. Medicaid law, how to preserve eligibility, asset exemptions and more.
• The Democratic Women of Lee County will meet at 6:30 p.m. at Elizabeth's Pizza & Italian Restaurant. Those planning to dine, please come early. Chet Mann, mayor of Sanford, will be the guest speaker. For questions, please call Lynda F. Turbeville, president, at (919) 776-9916.
• This week's story time for toddlers will be held at 10 a.m. at the Main Library on Hawkins Avenue. This week's theme will be “Valentine’s Day!” For more information, please contact Delisa Williams at (919) 718-4665 x 5484.
• Covenant Preparatory School will host its February Open House at 8:30 a.m. on the campus of New Covenant Fellowship Church, located between Union Pines High School and New Century Middle School at 1305 Hulsey Road in Carthage. Interested parties are invited to come for morning exercises and chapel at 8:30 a.m., or come at 9:15 a.m. for an informational meeting followed by a campus tour. Those wanting to know more can call Kristin Rizzo at (910) 673-1025 or (201) 417-0481, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.covenantprep.com.
• San-Lee Park's Conservation Cubs will meet today (Wednesday) and Feb. 26 from 10-11 a.m. at 572 Pumping Station Road, Sanford. Children ages 3-5 are welcome with parent. The cost is $6 per child both days or $10 per child for one day. The cost includes a healthy snack. Pre-registration is preferred at (919) 776-6221. Ask for Jaime Osborne or Carrie Council. The theme is opossums.
• Sanford Jobseekers will meet from 8:30-10 a.m. at First Baptist Church. Are you serious about looking for employment? You are welcome to come. Job leads, encouragement, and job search tips are just a small part of this program. Call (919) 776-6137 for more information.
• This week's story time for pre-schoolers will be held at 11 a.m. at the Main Library on Hawkins Avenue. The theme will be “Valentine’s Day!” For more information, please contact Delisa Williams at (919) 718-4665 x 5484.
• The domestic violence survivors support group meets tonight and every Thursday at 6 p.m. at 215 Bracken St., Sanford. Interested persons are urged to call the HAVEN office at (919) 774-8923 and speak with Cecilia or Susan if they have questions.
• The Lee County Arts Council will hold a grant writing class at 6:30 p.m. at the council office, 144-E S. Steele St, Sanford. Those wanting to attend can sign up through the council's Facebook page, calling (919) 774-6139 or emailing email@example.com. The cost is $10 per person.
• The Sanford/Lee County Stroke Support Group will meet at 1 p.m. at the Enrichment Center, 1615 S. Third St., Sanford. The topic is stress management in the new year. The speaker is Ashley Redfern, recreational therapy clinical fellow, UNC Healthcare; the facilitator is Joy Phillips Murphy. Stroke survivors, caregivers and loved ones are invited to join others who understand what they are going through.
• Meals On Wheels of Sanford will hold its monthly board of directors meeting at 9:30 a.m. in the library of the First Presbyterian Church of Sanford on Hawkins Avenue. All interested members of the community are invited to attend and learn more about this caring ministry.
• “Hike for Your Health” will be held at 10 a.m. at Raven Rock State Park in Lillington. Participants can join Raven Rock’s office assistant for fresh air, sunshine and exercise. They must be ages 12 and up and able to hike two to five miles at a good pace on trails that can be flat, hilly and include steps. This hike is being offered every Thursday. Those in attendance are advised to wear sturdy hiking shoes and bring water. Please call (910) 893-4888 to register.