CALENDAR FOR FEB. 27
• Chic-fil-A will hold a “Spirit Night” from 5-8:30 p.m. at the restaurant, 3224 N. Carolina 87, Sanford. Patrons can dine in, carry out or order from the drive through, and they should tell the cashier at the time of purchase that they are supporting spirit night.
• A Small Business Center seminar titled “Introduction to Google Tools” will be held from 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the Dennis A. Wicker Civic Center, 1801 Nash St., Sanford. Today, many businesses rely on Google’s ever-growing suite of tools, including Drive, Calendar, Alerts, and Places. Learn how to collaborate with others, add a calendar to your website and much more. Register at https://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/eventReg?oeidk=a07e8mh2ip99dc61fd7&oseq=&c=&ch= or call (919) 718-7424.
• A Chatham County Democratic Party precinct meetings for Bennett and Harpers Crossroads will be held at 7:30 p.m. at 499 Ronald Scott Road, Bear Creek.
• A Chatham County Democratic Party precinct meeting for Goldston will be held at 7 p.m. at Goldston Fire Department, 486 Church St., Goldston.
• Community Blood Center of the Carolinas will hold a blood drive from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. in the Central Carolina Hospital Community Classroom, 1135 Carthage St., Sanford. Public drives can be found at Community Blood Center of the Carolinas’ website, www.cbcc.us. Call (704) 972-4700 or go to www.carolinadonor.org to make an appointment at any location.
• Anderson Creek Club Charter School will conduct a public information forum for parents interested in enrolling children for the 2014-2015 school year at 6:30 p.m. at Harnett County Public Library, 601 Main St., Lillington. Anderson Creek Club Charter School is a tuition-free public charter school that will serve students in grades K-5. The school is seeking students for a rigorous academic program designed around the Common Core State Standards and the North Carolina Essential Standards. The school will conduct open enrollment from Feb. 24, 2014 through March 25, 2014. Applications are available at www.andersoncreekcharter.com. Space is limited to 180 students. If applications exceed the number of spaces available for any grade level or classroom, a lottery will be held on April 8, 2014 at a location to be announced.
• Gasland Part II, Josh Fox's new fracking documentary, will be shown at 7 p.m. at Congregational Church of Pinehurst, 895 Linden Road, Pinehurst. Admission is free. The showing is co-sponsored by Save Our Sandhills and the church’s Mission, Peace and Justice Team. The film covers the increasing influence of the gas industry, research on environmental contamination from methane, and global consequences of fracking. Following the film, a speaker from Blue Ridge Environmental Defense League, a group instrumental in passing Anson County's fracking moratorium, will discuss fracking developments in N.C. For more information, call Betty Thomas at (919) 754-7255.
• Nonprofit grant applications must be submitted by 5 p.m. today to the United Way of Chatham County. For more information, contact Dina Reynolds, executive director of United Way of Chatham County, by phone at (919) 542-1110 or by email at email@example.com. United Way coordinates the application process on behalf of Chatham County. The grant application must be submitted online and will be available soon at funding.chathamnc.org. However, nonprofits must contact Dina Reynolds to get a login and password.
• A celebration in honor of Dr. Seuss's birthday will be held at 11 a.m. at the Harnett County Public Library, 601 S. Main St., Lillington. Donna Pruett, the Balloon Lady, will be on hand, and following her presentation, children will enjoy cake provided by the Harnett County Association of Educators. The event is co-sponsored by the Harnett County Association of Educators, American Library Association and the Harnett County Public Library.
• A Chatham County Democratic Party precinct meeting for Bynum will be held at 4 p.m. at Bynum General Store, 950 Bynum Road, Bynum.
• The Epsilon Gamma Central Carolina Chapter of Eta Phi Beta Sorority Inc. is partnering with the Christian Education Department of Cameron Grove AMEZ Church, under the direction of Minnie Ragland, to host Career Awareness Day from 11 .a.m-2 p.m. in the Fellowship Hall at Cameron Grove AMEZ Church, 309 Vernon St., Broadway. This is an annual event held by the sorority; whereby the aim is to familiarize and/or to interest our youth to begin thinking about their future career choices. The target audience is middle and high school students. To learn more, contact Lillie Robinson at (919) 258-9326 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org; or contact Ragland at (910) 488-4890 or by email at email@example.com.
• Sanford Mothers of Preschoolers (MOPS) will host a mom-to-mom sale from 8 a.m.-noon at St. Luke United Methodist Church, 2916 Wicker St., Sanford. Approximately 20-plus people will be set up offering a wide variety of gently used items for children, newborn and up to teen. These will include clothes, maternity items, cribs, pack n' plays, swings and toys. The cost to shop is $1, which will also qualify the shopper for a 50-50 raffle. MOPS uses the money to support community organizations and causes, including Backpack Pals, Salvation Army Angel Tree and more. To learn more, email firstname.lastname@example.org.