CALENDAR FOR MARCH 2
• The SanLee Antique Automobile Club will meet at 2:30 p.m. in the Cameron Methodist Fellowship Hall. The upcoming Spring Tour, the 60th anniversary N.C. Region Tour in Wilmington and the June 7 Car Show at Depot Park will be discussed. Refreshments will follow the meeting. A couple of free national memberships are yet available.
• The Sanford Area Chamber of Commerce will hold a Public Policy Luncheon at 11:45 a.m. at The Flame Steakhouse in Sanford. The chamber will welcome Dianne Reid, president of the Chatham County Economic Development Corporation, who will discuss “Economic Development in Chatham County and Its Impact on Lee County.” Her talk will include the megasite in western Chatham and the region's potential to attract a major automobile manufacturer; she will also answer questions about the Chatham Park project. The cost is $15 for chamber members, $20 for non-members. Registration is required via phone at (919) 775-7341 or online via sanford-nc.com.
• Joyce Cotton, Republican chair of North Carolina's Second District, will address members of the Moore Republican Women at their regular monthly meeting at noon (registration at 11:30 a.m.) in the Pinehurst Country Club main dining room. District Court Judge Bill Southern; Court of Appeals judges Robert N. Hunter and Donna Stroud; and Steve Bibey, judicial candidate for District 19B, will also speak. Southern, Hunter and Stroud are seeking re-election; Bibey is running for his first-term as judge. The cost is $17 and includes lunch. Members and guests are welcome. To make a reservation, contact Dawn Wehrum at Mooregopwomen@gmail.com or call (910) 823-6881.
• An adult painting class will be held from 6-8 p.m. at the Painted Petal, 1112-C Hawkins Ave., Sanford. Participants will paint a springtime owl; all paints, supplies and surfaces are included in class cost of $35 unless otherwise posted. Each class is a different project, and no painting experience is necessary. To learn more, call the Painted Petal at (919) 718-9284 or visit www.thepaintedpetal.com.
• Tom Angleberger, author of the beloved middle school books comprising the Origami Yoda series, will appear at 4 p.m. at the Chatham Community Library in Pittsboro to celebrate the release of his latest novel, “Princess Lablemaker to the Rescue!” Angleberger will come with pens in hand and prepared to draw and fold for those present. The Chatham Community Library is located at 197 Highway 87 North. Call (919) 545-8084 to learn more.
• A Chatham County Democratic Party precinct meeting for West Williams will be held at 7 p.m. at The Gathering Place, 2000 Fearrington Village Center, Pittsboro.
• A Chatham County Democratic Party precinct meeting for West Siler City will be held at 6:30 p.m. at the Earl B. Fitts Community Center, 111 S. Third Ave., Siler City.
• A Chatham County Democratic Party precinct meeting for Hickory Mountain will be held at 7 p.m. at Celebrity Dairy, 144 Celebrity Dairy Way, Siler City. Contact John Graybeal for more information at (919) 417-5836.
• A Chatham County Democratic Party precinct meeting for East Siler City will be held at 6:30 p.m. at the Earl B. Fitts Community Center, 111 South Third Ave., Siler City.
• A Chatham County Democratic Party precinct meeting for East Williams will be held at 7 p.m. at the New Hope Baptist Church, New Hope Church Road, Apex.
• Celebrate Mardi Gras with pancakes on ‘Fat Tuesday' or Shrove Tuesday from 5-7 p.m. at St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church in Pittsboro (corner of Rectory and Salisbury). Palms from last year's Palm Sunday will be burned after supper. The Rev. Wilber Mundia will bless the ashes in preparation for St. Bartholomew's Ash Wednesday service on March 5 at noon in the sanctuary. Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of the penitential season of Lent.
• The Downtown Sanford Inc. monthly board of directors meeting will be held from 8–9 a.m. at 226 Carthage St., Sanford. The public is encouraged to attend. The mission of DSI is to manage the development of downtown Sanford as the primary economic, cultural and social center of the community, to educate the community on the unique assets and historical significance of the downtown area and to promote and stimulate the improvement of these assets. For more information, call (919) 775-8332, fax (919) 775-8207, email email@example.com or visit www.downtownsanford.com.
• Story time for toddlers and preschoolers will be held at 10 a.m. at the Broadway Library, 206 S. Main St., Sanford. Those in attendance will share stories, sing songs, do rhymes and more. For more information, please call Delisa Williams at (919) 718-4665, x 5484.
• Temple Theatre will present stand-up comedy featuring Julie Scoggins at 7 p.m. (doors open at 6 p.m.). Scoggins is regularly heard on XM/Sirius 'Blue Collar Radio', as well as many syndicated stations, including “The John Boy & Billy Show,” “The Bob & Sheri Show” (Charlotte) and “The Bob & Tom Show” (Indianapolis). General Admission tickets are $15. Military, police, firefighters and Lee County Schools employees receive half off. Call the Box Office at (919) 774-4155 or go online to http://templeshows.com/.