CALENDAR FOR JAN. 10
• An informal public informational meeting will be held at 7 p.m. at the Ernest and Ruby McSwain Agricultural Center at 2416 Tramway Road, Sanford. The purpose is to provide an opportunity for the public to meet with the developer and Kimely-Horn and Associates’ (traffic engineer/consultant) regarding the improvements to U.S. 1 and Highway 78. They will have drawings and illustrations on how the super street versus traditional design would work. Representatives from the N.C. Department of Transportation will be present to answer questions, and all public comments and concerns will be taken into consideration.
• The Board of Trustees of the Harnett Health System will host a VIP ribbon cutting from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. for the Central Harnett Hospital, 215 Brightwater Drive, Lillington. The event will feature guest speaker Bill Pully, president of the North Carolina Hospital Association, as well as hospital tours and heavy hors d’oeuvres.
• Nifty Noggins volunteers will meet at 10 am. at the Enrichment Center of Lee County. Nifty Noggins are head coverings for cancer patients. Anyone interested may still come by and pick up head coverings. Contact Carole at (919) 776- 0501 x 2205.
• Community Blood Center of the Carolinas will hold a blood drive from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. at Central Carolina Hospital, 1135 Carthage St., Sanford. More public drives can be found at Community Blood Center of the Carolinas’ website at www.cbcc.us. CBCC has donation centers in Charlotte, Concord, Gastonia, Hickory and Union County (http://www.cbcc.us/about/donor-center-hours.php for center hours). Call (704) 972-4700, or go to www.carolinadonor.org, to make an appointment at any location.
• A breastfeeding class, providing education and encouragement for women who wish to breastfeed their babies, will be held at 6:30 p.m. in the community classroom at Central Carolina Hospital, 1135 Carthage St., Sanford. Husbands and supporters are welcome and encouraged to attend. To register, visit http://www.centralcarolinahosp.com/en-US/CWSApps/FindAnEvent.aspx?ClassLink=1865.
• Meals on Wheels of Sanford will hold its annual induction and recommittment of officers at 9:30 a.m. under the auspices of the Rev. Jaye White of St. Luke’s United Methodist Church. The ceremony will take place in the library of the First Presbyterian Church on Hawkins Avenue. All interested parties and prospective volunteers are invited to attend.
• The Sanford/Lee County Stroke Support Group will meet at 1 p.m. at the Enrichment Center of Lee County, 1615 S. Third St., Sanford. The topic is “Celebration Time: Looking back at the past year and beginning a new one.” Facilitator is Joy Phillips Murphy.
• The ribbon-cutting event scheduled today for the HAVEN Treasures Thrift Store has been canceled.
• The Quilting and Fiber Art Marketplace will be held today and tomorrow from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. at the Dennis A. Wicker Civic Center, 1801 Nash St., Sanford. Admission is $5; parking is free. The Quilting and Fiber Art Marketplace features 30 shops under one roof that will interest any quilter, knitter, fiber craftsperson or mixed-media artist. Mrs. Lacy’s Magnolia House will be serving morning coffee, sweets and lunch. For a complete list of vendors, visit the website www.quiltersgallery.net.
• A fun shoot will be held from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. at Deep River Sporting Clays. The event is a 100-target, National Sporting Clays Association-registered shoot. Registration opens at 9 a.m., last shooter on the course at 1 p.m. Non-NSCA shooters will compete in an open class. Everyone is welcome.
• A fund-raiser to raise money for the "Keeping Kevin" group, which is walking in the Triangle ALS Walk in April, as well as the "Keeping Kevin" Foundation, will be held at the Sanford Applebee's, 1325 Plaza Blvd. Tickets are $7 apiece. Those who would like to purchase tickets, please let organizers know how many are needed. Those who cannot attend but would still like to donate may do so.
• Kiss the Toad Creations will present the Superhero Dash 5K superhero trail run, at 9 a.m. at Western Harnett High School. Pre-race registration begins at 7 a.m.; the cost is $20 per person. Awards will be given to the top three males and females, and the event will have a best superhero costume contest. The organization's mission is to encourage and recognize children who are battling a life-threatening illness by presenting them with their official superhero cape. To register or learn more, visit www.kissthetoadcreations.com/#north-carolina/c1yup or www.active.com/running/lillington-nc/kiss-the-toad-creations-superhero-dash-2013
• The Sanford Area Chamber of Commerce will hold a ribbon-cutting event, celebrating the grand reopening of the McDonald's Spring Lane location, at 9 a.m. at 1001 Spring Lane, Sanford.
• The Carolina Pines Ballroom Chapter 6091 USA Dance invites the public to attend its January dance, “Baby It’s Cold Outside,” starting at 7 p.m. at 105 McReynolds St., Carthage (across the street from Fred’s on the second floor of the Sinclair Building). The dance begins at with food and snacks, then from 7:30-8 p.m., a free complimentary dance lesson will be offered, followed by open dancing from 8-10 p.m. Singles and couples are welcome. If possible, please bring an appetizer or food to share. Beverages are provided. This is a smoke free/alcohol free event. The cost is $7 for members, $10 for guests. All first-time guests get in free. For more information, call Asunda at (919) 356-2784, or visit www.DancingInTheCarolinaPines.org.
• Gregg Gelb and Steve Wing Jazz Band will perform from 7:30–9:30 p.m. at Pittsboro Roadhouse and General Store, 39 West St., Pittsboro. Call (919) 542-2432 to learn more.
• A CPR (basic and re-certification) class will be held at 9 a.m. at Central Carolina Hospital, 1135 Carthage St., Sanford. The class will provide comprehensive information and practice in CPR and obstructed airway rescue for adults, children and infants. Other areas covered include one-rescuer CPR, management of foreign-body airway obstruction and the use of barrier devices for ventilation. This class teaches both basic and renewal students. The cost is $25, and an American Heart Association health care provider (HCP) card will be issued upon completion. To register, visit www.centralcarolinahosp.com/en-US/CWSApps/FindAnEvent.aspx?ClassLink=52
• The Quilting and Fiber Art Marketplace will be held from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. at the Dennis A. Wicker Civic Center, 1801 Nash St., Sanford. Admission is $5; parking is free. The Quilting and Fiber Art Marketplace features 30 shops under one roof that will interest any quilter, knitter, fiber craftsperson or mixed-media artist. Mrs. Lacy’s Magnolia House will be serving morning coffee, sweets and lunch. For a complete list of vendors, visit the website www.quiltersgallery.net.