CALENDAR FOR JULY 10
• A story time for grades 4-6 will be held at 2 p.m. at the Main Lee County Library, 107 Hawkins Ave., Sanford. The theme will be “Fizz Into Chinese Storytelling,” with special guest Guan Wang of the Central Carolina Community College Confucius Classroom. For more information, please contact Delisa Williams at (919) 718-4665 x 5484 or Sheneeta Thomas at x 5485.
• The public is invited to take a tour of The Sanford Fire Department at 6:30 p.m. at 512 Hawkins Ave., Sanford. During the guided visit, guests will get to meet many of the firefighters who keep Sanford safe each day. The tour will begin promptly rain or shine. Anyone interested in registering a National Night Out event for their neighborhood or group may do so from 6-7 p.m. Please remember to bring an item to donate to the Christians United Outreach Center.
• The Grief Support Group will meet at 1 p.m. at The Enrichment Center of Lee County.
• The Sunrise Theatre will present “Top Gun,” part of its summer classic series, at 7:30 p.m. at 250 N.W. Broad St. in Southern Pines. Admission is $6. Call (910) 692-8501 to learn more.
• An informational meeting for poultry growers interested in working with Carolina Premium Foods will be held at 7 p.m. at the Moore County Agriculture Center, 707 Pinehurst Ave. in Carthage. CPF will be leasing the poultry processing plant at Chaudhry’s in Siler City starting the first week of August. CPF primarily will be processing birds that are raised organically according to their company's policies using out-of-contract former Townsend and Pilgrim’s growers. The aim is to process up to 50,000 birds per week at the former Chaudhry processing plant. The informational meeting is for producers who want to raise and sell birds to CPF and also for producers who want to get their own birds processed at the plant. To learn more, contact Sonya Holmes at email@example.com.
• The “Function at the Junction” summer concert series continues with the Heart of Carolina Jazz Orchestra from 7–10 p.m. at Depot Park, 106 Charlotte Ave., Sanford. Visitors can bring their lawn chairs, blankets and a picnic supper to the free concert, sponsored by Downtown Sanford Inc. Since 1990, the orchestra has played for thousands of jazz enthusiasts around North Carolina at schools, arts centers, festivals, dances and other venues and functions. For more information, call (919) 775-8332 or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
• A weekly hike will be held from 9–10 a.m. at Raven Rock State Park in Lillington. Participants will join Raven Rock's office assistant on a two-to-five-mile hike on trails that can be flat, hilly and include steps. The hike is for ages 12 and up; attendees should wear sturdy hiking shoes and bring water. Please call (910) 893-4888 to register; meet at the visitor center rain or shine.
• “Sunset at the Overlook” will be offered at 7:30 p.m. at Raven Rock State Park in Lillington. Attendees will meet at the picnic shelter and join a park ranger for a hike to the overlook, viewing the sunset over the Cape Fear River on this two-mile hike and discovering some of Raven Rock's crepuscular life along the way. Participants should bring a flashlight for this two-hour program.
• The Sanford/Lee County Stroke Support Group will meet at 1 p.m. at the Enrichment Center of Lee County. The topic will be beans, peaches, artisanal bread or bok choy — opportunities in our local agriculture. Speakers will be Lee County Extension Director Susan Condlin, Tina Gross of Gross Farms and another local farmer, Alvin Bean. Guests are welcome to join other stroke survivors, caregivers and/or family members who understand what they are going through. The facilitator is Joy Phillips Murphy.
• Students of the Temple's 2014 Summer Youth Conservatory will present Disney's "Aristocats Kids” at 7 p.m. at Temple Theatre, 120 Carthage St., Sanford. The conservatory is now in its 13th year, and the show is based on the hit movie. General admission tickets for adults are $13, and $7 for children. For show times and tickets, call the box office at (919) 774-4155 or order them through Vendini via www.templeshows.com.
• A Second Saturday cookout will be held from noon-1 p.m., at the Wings of Carolina Flight Center at The Raleigh Executive Jetport @ Sanford-Lee County. Meet club members, local pilots and others interested in aviation. Lunch is available for $5.
• The Sanford Farmers' Market will be held from 9 a.m.-noon at Depot Park in downtown Sanford. All products are locally grown or hand crafted. Credit, debit and SNAP EBT will be accepted. Follow the market on Facebook for biweekly updates of what's in season, recipes and more — https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sanford-Farmers-Market/219549214730985 — or call (919) 343-8440 or email email@example.com.
• Students of the Temple's 2014 Summer Youth Conservatory will present Disney's "Aristocats Kids” at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. at Temple Theatre, 120 Carthage St., Sanford. The conservatory is now in its 13th year, and the show is based on the hit movie. General admission tickets for adults are $13, and $7 for children. For show times and tickets, call the box office at (919) 774-4155 or order them through Vendini via www.templeshows.com.
• A monthly mileage hike will be held at 9 a.m. at Raven Rock State Park in Lillington. This challenge for 2014 puts a twist on the months of the year, and every month, a hike will be offered that covers the mileage equivalent to the month of the year. With this being July, a park ranger will conduct a seven-mile hike on the service roads of the park, a behind-the-scenes hike into areas of the park not often seen by park visitors. Participants should wear sturdy shoes and also bring water and a snack, planning to hike for three hours. They will meet at the picnic shelter.
• Inspire and Motivate Our Future will hold a “Putting on the Hits” showcase and charity fundraiser at 6 p.m. (doors open at 5:30 p.m.) at the Lee County Arts and Community Center, 507 N. Steele St., Sanford. The event will feature youth dancers, a martial artist, lip syncing and more. Tickets are $7; for information, contact Tamekia Dowdy at (910) 491-5465 or Tamekia4u@yahoo.com.
• A “Pollinator Party” will be held from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. at Raven Rock State Park in Lillington, offering educational activities and information about why pollinators are so vital to our food supply. The Harnett County Beekeepers Association will display live bees. There also will be a butterfly exhibit, face painting, pollinator and butterfly games and butterfly and bee crafts. If participants would like to plant a flower in the park’s pollinator garden, they can call the park office for a list of native plants to choose from. Attendees can come dressed in a pollinator or flower costume or dress up their pets. Meet at the visitor center.