CALENDAR FOR JULY 13
• Students of the Temple's 2014 Summer Youth Conservatory will present Disney's "Aristocats Kids” at 2 p.m. at Temple Theatre, 120 Carthage St., Sanford. The conservatory is now in its 13th year, and the show is based on the hit movie. General admission tickets for adults are $13, and $7 for children. For show times and tickets, call the box office at (919) 774-4155 or order them through Vendini via www.templeshows.com.
• Sanford Second Sunday will be held from noon-4 p.m. in downtown Sanford. Several local businesses will be open and vendors also will offer items for sale. Attendees can also enjoy music and more. To learn more, see www.sanford2ndsundaync.weebly.com or visit the Sanford Second Sunday Facebook page.
• The Painted Petal design studio will host a kids' summer painting class at 10:15 a.m. at the studio, 1112 Hawkins Ave., Sanford. The cost is $20, and the project this week will be “Sharky Shark.” Pre-registration is required, and payment is due the day of class. To learn more, call (919) 718-9284 or visit thepaintedpetal.com and select “classes” from the tab on the left. The “contact” link in the same tab will allow you to sign up.
• A Small Business Center seminar titled “QuickBooks Basics,” led by Lori Stiles, will be held from 6–8 p.m. at the Dennis A. Wicker Civic Center, 1801 Nash St., Sanford. The seminar will offer participants a basic understanding of the QuickBooks accounting software and the benefits of using it in a small business environment. It will cover setting up the system, user interface, common data input, forms and the many useful reports that QuickBooks generates. Participants will be able to 'test drive' the program in the computer lab. Register at https://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/eventReg?oeidk=a07e90pwtpp490e92cd&oseq=&c=&ch=, and call Kelly Dehring at Central Carolina SBC at (919) 718-7544 to learn more.
• Today is the deadline to apply for the Leadership Sanford program, which begins in September with a day divided between orientation and lessons. Eight more monthly sessions follow. The sessions give participants an in-depth look at a range of topics, with input from experts and community leaders. Topics are designed to provide both personal development and community enrichment. The program concludes in May with a presentation of the group's selected project to local business and civic leaders. To learn more about the program and how to apply, see http://sanford-nc.com/leadership.cfm.
• Those wanting to learn how to can or needing a refresher course are invited to a beginner's step-by-step, hands-on class for canning tomatoes at 6 p.m. at the North Carolina Cooperative Extension, Lee County — 2420 Tramway Road, Sanford. Class size will be limited, and registration must be paid in advance; there is an $8 fee. Participants are asked to bring four pounds of washed tomatoes. All other supplies will be provided. For more information, call the extension at (919) 775-5624.
• The Lee County Library will be “Fizzing and Booming with Science,” featuring Nate the Mad Scientist, during a summer reading program at 2 p.m. in the auditorium of the Main Library, 107 Hawkins Ave., Sanford; the program is for grades 1-3. For more information, please contact Delisa Williams at (919) 718-4665 x 5484 or Sheneeta Thomas at x 5485.
• Legal Aid of North Carolina will hold an intake day from 10 a.m.-noon at Salvation Army of Lee County, 507 N. Steele St., Sanford. Topics that can be addressed include consumer issues, foreclosures, evictions, Medicaid Disability, expungements and much more. Legal Aid of North Carolina is a nonprofit that provides free legal services in civil matters to low-income people to ensure equal access to justice and remove barriers to economic opportunity. For more information, please call (919) 542-0475.
• The Coalition for Families in Lee County's summer reading program will be held today and every Tuesday through July from 10-11:30 a.m. at the Lee County Community Arts Center, second floor, room 314, 507 N. Steele St., Sanford. The program will include story time, crafts, a snack and more; the theme is “Insects and Bugs.” Sessions are free and open to preschool children in Lee County. For more information or to register, contact Heather Garrity at (919) 774-8144, x 204 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• A Parkinson's Support Group meeting for those with Parkinson's disease, their family members, caregivers and friends will be held at 10:30 a.m. at The Enrichment Center of Lee County, 1615 S. Third St., Sanford. To learn more, call (919) 776-0501.
• A story time for toddlers and preschoolers will be held at 10 a.m. at the First Presbyterian Church in the Harper Center, located next door to the Lee County Library on Hawkins Avenue. The theme will be “Booming and Dancing,” featuring Party People NC. For more information, please contact Delisa Williams at (919) 718-4665 x 5484 or Sheneeta Thomas at x 5485.