CALENDAR FOR SEPT. 4
• Sanford Jobseekers will meet from 8:30-10 a.m. at First Baptist Church. Job leads and encouragement will be offered. All those seriously looking for employment are welcome. Call (919) 776-6137 for information.
• The High Hopes Chorus will hold rehearsal from 2-3:30 p.m. at the Jonesboro Presbyterian Church. Music will be distributed, and the fall schedule will be discussed. The chorus will also welcome its new members, as well as everyone who would like to participate in the group. For additional information, contact Mary Ann Ludwick at (919) 776-4502.
• An informational session about proposed city bonds will be held from 11 a.m.-noon at the Enrichment Center of Lee County, 1615 S. 3rd St., Sanford. Bob Bridwell, director of Community Planning & Development, will discuss the upcoming bond referendum. The session is free and open to the public.
• The Gregg Gelb Jazz Trio, with Court Stewart, piano, and Chris Gelb, drums, will be held from 6:30-9:30 p.m. at The Flame Steakhouse, 109 Carbonton Road, Sanford
• Murals in Lee County will meet at 6 p.m. at the Enrichment Center of Lee County. The organization advocates the idea of murals being painted in downtown areas and elsewhere to brighten, beautify and enhance interest in Lee County.
• A free Small Business Seminar titled “Business Services: Understanding the Work Opportunity Tax Credit” will be held from 4:30-5:30 p.m. at the Harnett Heath Sciences Center located at 51 Red Mulberry Lane, Lillington. Did you know that you could get a tax credit of $1,200 to $9,600 depending on the employee hired? This seminar will offer information for those who plan to hire employees. Register at https://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/eventReg?oeidk=a07e7ynwt4taf076aa0&oseq=&c=&ch=; call (910) 892-2884 to learn more.
• An Alzheimer's disease family program will be held at 2:30 p.m. with speaker Pat Myers, a registered nurse, at the Enrichment Center of Lee County. The topic is “Managing Alzheimer's Disease.” The program is free and open to the public.
• The Brick Capital Quilters’ Guild will meet tonight, with sew time from 3-6 p.m. and a brief business meeting at 6:15 p.m., at the Enrichment Center of Lee County. Members will work on ongoing projects. Anyone interested in quilting on any skill level is welcome to join the group.
• Downtown Sanford Inc. will present the Function at the Junction Summer Concert Series at 7 p.m. every Thursday through September at Depot Park in downtown Sanford. Patrons can bring lawn chairs, blankets and a picnic supper to these free outdoor concerts. Tonight, Transistor Days will perform. For more information, call (919) 775-8332 or contact email@example.com.
• A newborn care class, designed to educate parents on the physical care of the newborn, development needs of the young infant and adjustment to parenthood, will be held at 6:30 p.m. in the community classroom at Central Carolina Community College, 1135 Carthage St., Sanford. To register, go to http://www.centralcarolinahosp.com/en-US/CWSApps/FindAnEvent.aspx?ClassLink=1863.
• Central Carolina Community College Harnett County Small Business Center, Harnett Economic Development Commission and Area Chambers will host the Harnett County Small Business Summit from 4-7 p.m. at Central Carolina Community College, Harnett Health Science Building, located at 51 Mulberry Way, Lillington. The theme of the summit will be "Connecting Small Businesses with Resources." Agencies and organizations that provide small business assistance will be present. Light refreshments will be served. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (910) 892-2884.
• A free Small Business Center seminar titled “Checklist for Starting a Business” will be held from 4:30-5:30 p.m. at the Harnett Heath Sciences Center, located at 51 Red Mulberry Lane, Lillington. Participants can learn the basics to get their business up and running. Call (910) 892-2884 to pre-register or for more information about Harnett County seminars.
• A free Small Business Center seminar titled “Financing Your Small Business” will be held from 5:30-6:30 p.m. at the Harnett Heath Sciences Center, located at 51 Red Mulberry Lane, Lillington. Traditional and non-traditional financing options for a small business will be discussed. Information will be presented by various lenders. Register at https://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/eventReg?oeidk=a07e7ynyg1f5c19b0e5&oseq=&c=&ch=; or call (910) 892-2884 to pre-register or for more information about Harnett County seminars.
• A free workshop to help participants take control of their diabetes, an evidence-based class developed by Stanford University, will meet today (Thursday) and every Thursday through Oct. 10, from 2-4:30 p.m. at The Enrichment Center of Lee County. Class size is limited to 12. Call (919) 776-0501 x 2201 to register. The class is co-sponsored by Triangle J Area Agency on Aging.
• The Sanford Area Chamber of Commerce will hold a ribbon cutting at 11 a.m. at Monifa's Southern Food & Catering, 116 E. Main St., Jonesboro. To learn more, www.sanford-nc.com.
• A homecoming will be held today through Sept. 8 celebrating the 200th anniversary of the old building at Union Presbyterian Church in Carthage. A Ceildh and Scottish dinner, featuring music, dance and food, will be held tonight from 7-10 p.m. at the Pinehurst Fair Barn. Adult admission is $25, Children 10 and under are $10. For more information and to register, go to www.unionchurchcarthage.org/union-homecoming-2013/, email email@example.com or call (910) 692-7272 or (910) 947-2626.