CALENDAR FOR SEPT. 6
• The Sanford Area Chamber of Commerce will hold a ribbon cutting at 11 a.m. at Monifa's Southern Food & Catering, 116 E. Main St., Jonesboro. To learn more, see www.sanford-nc.com.
• A homecoming will be held today through Sept. 8 celebrating the 200th anniversary of the old building at Union Presbyterian Church in Carthage. A Ceildh and Scottish dinner, featuring music, dance and food, will be held tonight from 7-10 p.m. at the Pinehurst Fair Barn. Adult admission is $25, Children 10 and under are $10. For more information and to register, go to www.unionchurchcarthage.org/union-homecoming-2013/, email email@example.com or call (910) 692-7272 or (910) 947-2626.
• The 2nd Chance Prom, benefiting Communities in Schools of Lee County, will be held from 7:30-11 p.m. at the Dennis A. Wicker Civic Center in Sanford. This event is CIS’s major fundraiser for the year, supplementing more than 50 percent of its budget. This year's event will feature music, dancing, the crowning of local celebrities as king and queen and more — all while helping students in Lee County. To learn more or vote for king and queen, visit http://leecountync.communitiesinschools.org. Tickets are available at http://cis2cp.eventbrite.com/.
• The Sanford Farmers Market will be held from 9 a.m.-noon at Depot Park, 106 Charlotte Ave. in downtown Sanford. Patrons can purchase the best of locally grown seasonal fresh fruits, vegetables, and other produce. For further information about buying or selling at the market, please call Sue Buie at (919) 356-3007, email DonnaBuie@aol.com or see www.facebook.com/pages/Sanford-Farmers-Market/219549214730985
• The Siler City farmers' market will be held at 9:30 a.m. at 118 W. Second St., behind the Courtyard Rotary Stage (Cafe Gazebo).
• The First Ever Girl Scouts — North Carolina Coastal Pines adult recruitment brunch will be held from 10 a.m.-noon at Mrs. Lacy's Magnolia House, 405 Carthage St., Sanford. Those who want to work directly with the girls or behind the scenes in a supporting role are invited to learn about the various volunteer opportunities available in girl scouting.
• A fundraiser will be held for the Hope Hyde family starting at 11 a.m. on the Morris Chapel United Methodist Church grounds, 8553 Cox Mill Road, Sanford. Baby Hope was diagnosed with Edwards Syndrome, a chromosomal condition. Barbecue chicken plates with coleslaw, baked beans, a roll, homemade dessert and tea will be sold for $7 per plate; delivery available with purchase of 10 plates or more. Fun and games will be offered from 10 a.m.-4 p.m., including face painting, live music, a dunking booth, and refreshments. Call (919) 499-4485 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The first-ever “Splash 'n' Bark” event, with all donations benefiting a dog park at O.T. Sloan Park, will be held from 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. at O.T. Sloan, located at 1420 Bragg St., Sanford. The cost is $15 donation per dog (includes handler and three family members) and $5 for spectators. The event will feature Carolina Dock Dogs big air and extreme vertical exhibitions at 11:30 a.m., 2:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m., food and other vendors, face painting, photo booth, agility course, and more.
• A homecoming will continue today celebrating the 200th anniversary of the old building at Union Presbyterian Church in Carthage. Today's activities include worship at the site of the old building, led by the Rev. Donald McDonald, at 11 a.m., followed by a 1 p.m. luncheon at Union Presbyterian Church (no charge) and historical and genealogical lectures and tours of local historical sites from 2-5:30 p.m. For more information and to register, go to www.unionchurchcarthage.org/union-homecoming-2013/, email email@example.com or call (910) 692-7272 or (910) 947-2626.
• Sanford Second Sunday will be held from noon to 4 p.m. Patrons can browse along the streets of downtown Sanford, where they will find music, several local businesses open, as well as numerous vendors. Those who would like additional information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit http://sanford2ndsundaync.weebly.com/
• A free canoe paddle on Weaver Creek will be held from 1:30-3:30 p.m., starting from the canoe access point maintained by the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission and located off of Beaver Creek Road (SR 1008) a few hundred yards south of the intersection with Pea Ridge Road. Weaver Creek is a small arm off of Jordan Lake closed to gasoline motor boats. The guide will be N.C. State Parks Ranger Steve McMurray. Registration is free but limited to nine people. N.C. State Parks will provide canoes and paddles. The minimum age for paddlers is 10, and children at least 6 years old are welcome if not paddling. Register by calling (919) 545-8044.
• A homecoming will conclude today celebrating the 200th anniversary of the old building at Union Presbyterian Church in Carthage. Homecoming worship will be held at 11 a.m., followed by dinner on the grounds. For more information and to register, go to www.unionchurchcarthage.org/union-homecoming-2013/, email email@example.com or call (910) 692-7272 or (910) 947-2626.