CALENDAR FOR JAN. 1
• Lee County offices will be closed today.
• City of Sanford offices will be closed today.
• All branches of Chatham County public libraries will be closed today. Wren and Goldston Libraries will reopen on Wednesday, Jan. 2, at 10 a.m.; Chatham Community Library in Pittsboro will reopen on Wednesday at 9 a.m.
• The Herald’s business and advertising offices will be will be closed for the New Year’s Day holiday. Regular office hours resume on Wednesday.
• The Downtown Sanford Inc. board of directors will meet from 8-9 a.m. at 200 N. Horner Blvd. (BB&T building), Sanford. The public is encouraged to attend. The mission of DSI is to manage the development of downtown Sanford as the primary economic, cultural, and social center of the community, to educate the community on the unique assets and historical significance of the downtown area, and to promote and stimulate the improvement of these assets. For more information, call (919) 775-8332, email email@example.com or visit www.downtownsanford.com.
• First Hike will begin at 1 p.m. at Raven Rock State Park, Lillington. Participants will hike to Raven Rock, and along the way, the group will make several stops to talk about the surroundings. The hike will be 2.5 miles long. Please wear appropriate clothing and sturdy shoes. Bring bottled water. Those with questions can call the park office at (910) 893-4888; meet at the picnic shelter. Visit www.americasstateparks.org for more information about this event and other first day hikes across the state.
• The Brick Capital Quilters’ Guild will have sew-time from 3-6 p.m. on the group's monthly meeting day at the Enrichment Center of Lee County. Marie McLendon is responsible for refreshments being served before the business meeting, which begins at 6:15 p.m. The next paper piece pattern will be distributed as members continue to work on wall hangings. Linda Shaffer will show the technique of making a bargello wall hanging. Members need to bring five different coordinating fabrics cut into 2-inch strips (width of fabric) for a small wall hanging, or 10 colors for a larger one. Attendees will need to bring their sewing machines, cutting boards (if fabric is not pre-cut), pins, scissors, and rotary cutters. They should also bring any items they have completed and want to share during show and tell. Quilters of all skill levels are welcome. To learn more, contact Larry and Donna Jackson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Chatham County invites the public to attend the ribbon cutting and grand opening of the new Justice Center in Pittsboro, which will begin at 2 p.m., followed by a judicial ceremony on the third floor. In the event of bad weather, the ribbon cutting will be held in the second-floor foyer. After 3:30 p.m., the public is invited to tour the public areas of the Justice Center.
• A "Nature Photography and Camera Basics" workshop will be held at 10 a.m. at Raven Rock State Park. Participants will learn how to better use their cameras and how to take better nature photographs. They will meet at the visitor center for an introduction, and then take a quarter-mile mile hike through the woods to look for photography opportunities and to take photographs, with constant advice from the instructor. The program will last approximately one hour, and participants should dress warm, wear good walking shoes and bring their own cameras.
• Yada Yada Sisters will meet at 5 p.m. at the Enrichment Center of Lee County. Bring a favorite sandwich and stay to play cards. The sisterhood is a network that offers the opportunity to receive support and encouragement from a sister.
• The Novel Approach Book Group will meet at noon at the Enrichment Center of Lee County. The group will discuss "Shanghai Girls" by Lisa See. The group is open to the general public.
• The Goldston Lions Club, in cooperation with the American Red Cross, is sponsoring a blood drive from 1:30-7 p.m. at the Goldston Baptist Church, 190 North Church St. in Goldston. The public is urged to come out and generously support this opportunity to give the gift of life. Walk-ins are welcome, but attendees can make an appointment by calling (919) 898-4624. Candidates must be at least 17 years old (16 with parental consent) and weigh at least 110 pounds. Please bring photo ID or Red Cross donor card.
• The Veterans Remembrance Group will meet at 2 p.m. at the Enrichment Center of Lee County, with guest speaker Wade Herrington, who is retired from the U.S. Army.
• The Sandhills Region sixth annual economic update will be held from 2-5 p.m. at the Carolina Hotel, Pinehurst Resort, at 80 Carolina Vista Drive, Pinehurst. The event will provide an up-to-date analysis and review of changes impacting the world and the economy. A reception with hors d' oeurves and cocktails will follow. To register, go to www.dhgllp.com/economicforecast or contact April Mills at (919) 875-4979.