CALENDAR FOR JAN. 5
• The Friends of the Lee County Library will have their “little” monthly book sale from 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. at Lee County Library, 107 Hawkins Ave., Sanford. The selection will be mostly adult fiction. To learn more, call (919) 718-4665.
• A “Nature Photography and Camera Basics” workshop will be held at 10 a.m. at Raven Rock State Park. Participants will learn how to better use their cameras and how to take better nature photographs. They will meet at the visitor center for an introduction, and then take a quarter-mile mile hike through the woods to look for photography opportunities and to take photographs, with constant advice from the instructor. The program will last approximately one hour, and participants should dress warmly, wear good walking shoes and bring their own cameras.
• Car seat checks will be offered today and every Saturday from from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. at Central Fire Station on Hawkins Avenue in Sanford. Be sure to make an appointment with Krista at (919) 775-8310 by 5 p.m. on the Wednesday before you want to stop by.
• First Sunday and downtown festivities will be held from 10 a.m.- 5 p.m. on the streets of downtown Pittsboro. First Sunday is a monthly artisan market that features emerging and well-established artists selling their wares with live music, food vendors and much more. Many of the shops along Hillsboro Street will open their doors for business from noon to 4 p.m.
• Brad Womble, manager of the Raleigh Executive Jetport at Sanford Lee County, will be the guest speaker at the Sanford Area Chamber of Commerce monthly public policy luncheon, which begins at 11:45 a.m. at the Flame Steakhouse. The cost is $12 for chamber members, $20 for non members. Registration is required. Call (919) 775-7341 or visit www.sanford-nc.com.
• Yada Yada Sisters will meet at 5 p.m. at the Enrichment Center of Lee County. Bring a favorite sandwich and stay to play cards. The sisterhood is a network that offers the opportunity to receive support and encouragement from a sister.
• The Novel Approach Book Group will meet at noon at the Enrichment Center of Lee County. The group will discuss “Shanghai Girls” by Lisa See. The group is open to the general public.
• The Goldston Lions Club, in cooperation with the American Red Cross, is sponsoring a blood drive from 1:30-7 p.m. at the Goldston Baptist Church, 190 North Church St. in Goldston. The public is urged to come out and generously support this opportunity to give the gift of life. Walk-ins are welcome, but attendees can make an appointment by calling (919) 898-4624. Candidates must be at least 17 years old (16 with parental consent) and weigh at least 110 pounds. Please bring photo ID or Red Cross donor card.
• “Eating a Healthy Weigh,” an informative lecture on ways to eat healthy, will be held at 6 p.m. at Central Carolina Hospital, 1135 Carthage St., Sanford. The lecture will be followed by a question-and-answer session. To register, visit www.centralcarolinahosp.com/en-US/CWSApps/FindAnEvent.aspx?ClassLink=4624
• San-Lee Park’s Conservation Cubs will meet today and Jan. 23 from 10-11 a.m. at the park, 572 Pumping Station Road, Sanford. The event is open to children ages 3-5 with parent. The cost is $6 per child, or both days for $10 per child (includes a healthy snack). To learn more or register, call (919) 776-6221. Preregistration is preferred. Ask for Jaime Osborne or Carrie Council. Theme is “snow.”
• The Veterans Remembrance Group will meet at 2 p.m. at the Enrichment Center of Lee County, with guest speaker Wade Herrington, who is retired from the U.S. Army.
• The Sandhills Region sixth annual economic update will be held from 2-5 p.m. at the Carolina Hotel, Pinehurst Resort, at 80 Carolina Vista Drive, Pinehurst. The event will provide an up-to-date analysis and review of changes impacting the world and the economy. A reception with hors d’ oeurves and cocktails will follow. To register, go to www.dhgllp.com/economicforecast or contact April Mills at (919) 875-4979.
• An informal public informational meeting will be held at 7 p.m. at the Ernest amd Ruby McSwain Agricultural Center at 2416 Tramway Road, Sanford. The purpose is to provide an opportunity for the public to meet with the developer and Kimely-Horn and Associates’ (traffic engineer/consultant) regarding the improvements to U.S. 1 and Highway 78. They will have drawings and illustrations on how the super street versus traditional design would work. Representatives from the N.C. Department of Transportation will be present to answer questions, and all public comments and concerns will be taken into consideration.
n The Board of Trustees of the Harnett Health System will host a VIP ribbon cutting from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. for the Central Harnett Hospital, 215 Brightwater Drive, Lillington. The event will feature guest speaker Bill Pully, president of the North Carolina Hospital Association, as well as hospital tours and heavy hors d’ oeuvres.
• Nifty Noggins volunteers will meet at 10 am. at the Enrichment Center of Lee County. Nifty Noggins are head coverings for cancer patients. Anyone interested may still come by and pick up head coverings. Contact Carole at (919) 776- 0501 x 2205.
• Community Blood Center of the Carolinas will hold a blood drive from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. at Central Carolina Hospital, 1135 Carthage St., Sanford. More public drives can be found at Community Blood Center of the Carolinas’ website at www.cbcc.us. CBCC has donation centers in Charlotte, Concord, Gastonia, Hickory and Union County (http://www.cbcc.us/about/donor-center-hours.php for center hours). Call (704) 972-4700, or go to www.carolinadonor.org, to make an appointment at any location.
• A breastfeeding class, providing education and encouragement for women who wish to breastfeed their babies, will be held at 6:30 p.m. in the community classroom at Central Carolina Hospital, 1135 Carthage St., Sanford. Husbands and supporters are welcome and encouraged to attend. To register, visit http://www.centralcarolinahosp.com/en-US/CWSApps/FindAnEvent.aspx?ClassLink=1865.
• Meals on Wheels of Sanford will hold its annual induction and recommittment of officers at 9:30 a.m. under the auspices of the Rev. Jaye White of St. Luke’s United Methodist Church. The ceremony will take place in the library of the First Presbyterian Church on Hawkins Avenue. All interested parties and prospective volunteers are invited to attend.
• The Sanford/Lee County Stroke Support Group will meet at 1 p.m. at the Enrichment Center of Lee County, 1615 S. Third St., Sanford. The topic is "Celebration Time: Looking back at the past year and beginning a new one." Facilitator is Joy Phillips Murphy.