CALENDAR FOR AUG. 20
• Chatham County citizens are invited to join Chatham County Cooperative Extension, Chatham County Public Health Department and the Center for Environmental Farming Systems for a local food policy meeting from 9-10:30 a.m. in the Chatham County Agricultural Building Auditorium, 65 E. Chatham St., Pittsboro. The agenda includes examining how we feed ourselves and how we might work together to support the local food economy. The purpose of the meeting is to examine the relevance of a food council in the county and to take initial steps towards developing a council as a formal entity.
• The Salvation Army will host vacation bible school, “Son Rocks Kids Camp,” today (Tuesday) through Sunday, Aug. 25, at 5:30 p.m. All ages are welcome, including adults. Call (919) 718-1717 for more information or transportation.
• Bob Bridwell, director of Sanford's Community Planning & Development Department, will speak to the Sanford Rotary Club about the upcoming city bond referendum from noon-1 p.m. at the Flame Steakhouse, 109A Carbonton Road, Sanford.
• A sixth-grade open house will be held from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. at West Lee Middle School, Sanford.
• The Sanford Area Chamber of Commerce will hold a ribbon-cutting ceremony at 7:30 a.m. for Walmart Express, located at 112 N. Main St., Broadway.
• Lt. Gov. Dan Forrest will be in Sanford at 6 p.m. for a town hall meeting at the Lee County Arts Center on Steele Street.
• A Parkinson's Support Group for those with Parkinson's Disease, their family members, caregivers and friends, will meet at 10:30 a.m. at The Enrichment Center of Lee County, located at 1615 S. Third St., Sanford.
• A “State of the U.S. House” event, with Rep. Renee Ellmers, will be held from noon-1:30 p.m. in the St. Andrews Room at the Pinehurst Resort (registration opens at 11:45 a.m.). Ellmers is expected to discuss the Affordable Care Act, the impact of sequestration, stimulating job creation and more. The cost to attend is $25 for Moore County Chamber of Commerce members and $35 for non-members. Those planning to attend are asked to RSVP by visiting www.moorecountychamber.com, calling (910) 692-3926 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Bragg Street Academy will hold an open house from 2-4 p.m.
• Broadway Elementary School will hold an open house from 4:30-6 p.m.
• B.T. Bullock Elementary School will hold an open house from 4:30-6 p.m.
• Deep River Elementary School will hold an open house from 4:30-6 p.m.
• East Lee Middle School will hold an open house for seventh and eighth grades at from 5:30-7 p.m.
• Floyd L. Knight School will hold an open house from noon-2 p.m.
• Greenwood Elementary School will hold an open house from 4-6 p.m.
• J. Glenn Edwards Elementary School will hold an open house from 4-6 p.m.
• J.R. Ingram, Jr. Elementary School will hold an open house from 4-6 p.m.
• Lee County High School will hold freshman orientation from 8 a.m.-noon
• SanLee Middle School will hold an open house for seventh and eighth grades from 5-7 p.m.
• Warren Williams Elementary Alternative School will hold an open house from 3:30-6:30 p.m.
• West Lee Middle School will hold an open house for seventh and eighth grades from 5-7 p.m.
• Lee County Schools Superintendent Andy Bryan will hold a public meet-and-greet event at 5:30 p.m. at Tramway Elementary School. Bryan will hold a total of seven informal gatherings at elementary schools around the county, giving him the chance to hear from parents, community members and educators about the direction they would like to see Lee County Schools take in the next few years. Members of the public are invited to attend any session that is convenient for their schedule. For more information, please contact Lee County Schools Public Information Officer Sharon Spence at (919) 774-6226 or email@example.com
• Downtown Sanford Inc. will present the Function at the Junction Summer Concert Series at 7 p.m. every Thursday through September at Depot Park in downtown Sanford. Patrons can bring lawn chairs, blankets and a picnic supper to these free outdoor concerts. Tonight, RN5P band (solid gold, oldies and beach music) will perform. For more information, call (919) 775-8332 or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Lee County High School 10th-12th grade schedule pick-up will be held from 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
• Southern Lee High School freshman schedule pickup will be held from 9-11 a.m., and 1-3 p.m. for upperclassmen.
• Carolina Animal Rescue and Adoption's fifth annual “Run for Their Lives” 5K and 10K race and festival will start at 8 a.m. (races) at Kiwanis Park, 1800 Wicker St., Sanford; the family festival will be held from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Registration was $25 prior to Aug. 14 and $30 after or on race day (6:30-7:30 a.m.). The event will include a certified course, food, local vendors and fun for kids. All proceeds go to CARA. See http://runfortheirlives5k10k.wordpress.com to learn more.
• A dialysis awareness function will be held from 10 a.m.-noon, with guest speaker Stanley Morgan of the COLTS public transit system, at the Lee County Library main branch, 107 Hawkins Ave., Sanford. The event is being sponsored by In Ya Face Talent and Entertainment, a local music production enterprise which also operates “Pop Your Top” bins at the Piggly Wiggly stores in Sanford and Pittsboro, where people can drop off aluminum can tabs to be collected and sold, with proceeds going toward dialysis charity work. For more information, call (910) 374-8947.
• A CPR (basic and recertification) class will be offered at 9 a.m. at Central Carolina Hospital — North Building — 1000 Carthage St., Sanford. The class will provide comprehensive information and practice in CPR and obstructed-airway rescue for adults, children and infants. Other areas covered include one-rescuer CPR, management of foreign-body airway obstruction and the use of barrier devices for ventilation. The cost is $25, and an American Heart Association health care provider card will be issued upon completion. Register at http://www.centralcarolinahosp.com/en-US/CWSApps/FindAnEvent.aspx?ClassLink=52