CALENDAR FOR AUG. 21
• The Sanford Area Chamber of Commerce will hold a ribbon-cutting ceremony at 7:30 a.m. for Walmart Express, located at 112 N. Main St., Broadway.
• Lt. Gov. Dan Forrest will be in Sanford at 6 p.m. for a town hall meeting at the Lee County Arts Center on Steele Street.
• A Parkinson's Support Group for those with Parkinson's Disease, their family members, caregivers and friends, will meet at 10:30 a.m. at The Enrichment Center of Lee County, located at 1615 S. Third St., Sanford.
• A “State of the U.S. House” event, with Rep. Renee Ellmers, will be held from noon-1:30 p.m. in the St. Andrews Room at the Pinehurst Resort (registration opens at 11:45 a.m.). Ellmers is expected to discuss the Affordable Care Act, the impact of sequestration, stimulating job creation and more. The cost to attend is $25 for Moore County Chamber of Commerce members and $35 for non-members. Those planning to attend are asked to RSVP by visiting www.moorecountychamber.com, calling (910) 692-3926 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Bragg Street Academy will hold an open house from 2-4 p.m.
• Broadway Elementary School will hold an open house from 4:30-6 p.m.
• B.T. Bullock Elementary School will hold an open house from 4:30-6 p.m.
• Deep River Elementary School will hold an open house from 4:30-6 p.m.
• East Lee Middle School will hold an open house for seventh and eighth grades at from 5:30-7 p.m.
• Floyd L. Knight School will hold an open house from noon-2 p.m.
• Greenwood Elementary School will hold an open house from 4-6 p.m.
• J. Glenn Edwards Elementary School will hold an open house from 4-6 p.m.
• J.R. Ingram Jr. Elementary School will hold an open house from 4-6 p.m.
• Lee County High School will hold freshman orientation from 8 a.m.-noon
• SanLee Middle School will hold an open house for seventh and eighth grades from 5-7 p.m.
• Warren Williams Elementary Alternative School will hold an open house from 3:30-6:30 p.m.
• West Lee Middle School will hold an open house for seventh and eighth grades from 5-7 p.m.
• The Temple Theatre will present Rodney Dillard & The Dillard Band, known for their recurring role as "The Darlings" on The Andy Griffith Show, at 7 p.m. at 120 Carthage St. in Sanford. The Dillard Band has been performing for crowds across the country for more than 50 years, and on the current tour, Rodney Dillard leads the band as they play beloved classics. General admission is $15. Those wanting to buy tickets can call the box office at (919) 774-4155 or order online at www.templeshows.com. Doors open at 6 p.m.
• Lee County Schools Superintendent Andy Bryan will hold a public meet-and-greet event at 5:30 p.m. at Tramway Elementary School. Bryan will hold a total of seven informal gatherings at elementary schools around the county, giving him the chance to hear from parents, community members and educators about the direction they would like to see Lee County Schools take in the next few years. Members of the public are invited to attend any session that is convenient for their schedule. For more information, please contact Lee County Schools Public Information Officer Sharon Spence at (919) 774-6226 or email@example.com
• Downtown Sanford Inc. will present the Function at the Junction Summer Concert Series at 7 p.m. every Thursday through September at Depot Park in downtown Sanford. Patrons can bring lawn chairs, blankets and a picnic supper to these free outdoor concerts. Tonight, RN5P band (solid gold, oldies and beach music) will perform. For more information, call (919) 775-8332 or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Lee County High School 10th-12th grade schedule pickup will be held from 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
• Southern Lee High School freshman schedule pickup will be held from 9-11 a.m., and 1-3 p.m. for upperclassmen.
• A St. Baldrick's Fundraiser will be held from 1-5 p.m. at the local Veterans of Foreign Wars post, located at 1500 Webb St., Sanford. Volunteers will shave their heads in a bid to raise money to combat childhood cancer. To learn more, see https://www.facebook.com/events/392398944207750/?fref=ts or http://www.stbaldricks.org/teams/mypage/86984/2013.
• Carolina Animal Rescue and Adoption's fifth annual “Run for Their Lives” 5K and 10K race and festival will start at 8 a.m. (races) at Kiwanis Park, 1800 Wicker St., Sanford; the family festival will be held from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Registration was $25 prior to Aug. 14 and $30 after or on race day (6:30-7:30 a.m.). The event will include a certified course, food, local vendors and fun for kids. All proceeds go to CARA. See http://runfortheirlives5k10k.wordpress.com to learn more.
• A dialysis awareness function will be held from 10 a.m.-noon, with guest speaker Stanley Morgan of the COLTS public transit system, at the Lee County Library main branch, 107 Hawkins Ave., Sanford. The event is being sponsored by In Ya Face Talent and Entertainment, a local music production enterprise which also operates “Pop Your Top” bins at the Piggly Wiggly stores in Sanford and Pittsboro, where people can drop off aluminum can tabs to be collected and sold with proceeds going toward dialysis charity work. For more information, call (910) 374-8947.
• A CPR (basic and recertification) class will be offered at 9 a.m. at Central Carolina Hospital — North Building — 1000 Carthage St., Sanford. The class will provide comprehensive information and practice in CPR and obstructed-airway rescue for adults, children and infants. Other areas covered include one-rescuer CPR, management of foreign-body airway obstruction and the use of barrier devices for ventilation. The cost is $25, and an American Heart Association health care provider card will be issued upon completion. Register at http://www.centralcarolinahosp.com/en-US/CWSApps/FindAnEvent.aspx?ClassLink=52