CALENDAR FOR AUG. 22
• The Temple Theatre will present Rodney Dillard & The Dillard Band, known for their recurring role as "The Darlings" on The Andy Griffith Show, at 7 p.m. at 120 Carthage St. in Sanford. The Dillard Band has been performing for crowds across the country for more than 50 years, and on the current tour, Rodney Dillard leads the band as they play beloved classics. General admission is $15. Those wanting to buy tickets can call the box office at (919) 774-4155 or order online at www.templeshows.com. Doors open at 6 p.m.
• Lee County Schools Superintendent Andy Bryan will hold a public meet-and-greet event at 5:30 p.m. at Tramway Elementary School. Bryan will hold a total of seven informal gatherings at elementary schools around the county, giving him the chance to hear from parents, community members and educators about the direction they would like to see Lee County Schools take in the next few years. Members of the public are invited to attend any session that is convenient for their schedule. For more information, please contact Lee County Schools Public Information Officer Sharon Spence at (919) 774-6226 or email@example.com
• Downtown Sanford Inc. will present the Function at the Junction Summer Concert Series at 7 p.m. every Thursday through September at Depot Park in downtown Sanford. Patrons can bring lawn chairs, blankets and a picnic supper to these free outdoor concerts. Tonight, RN5P band (solid gold, oldies and beach music) will perform. For more information, call (919) 775-8332 or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Lee County High School 10th-12th grade schedule pickup will be held from 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
• Southern Lee High School freshman schedule pickup will be held from 9-11 a.m., and 1-3 p.m. for upperclassmen.
• Infinity Cheer Empire will hold its annual fundraising yard sale from 8 a.m.-noon at Sanford Academy, located at 2731 Lee Ave., Sanford. All kinds of items will be available, from baked goods and drinks to clothing and home goods. All proceeds go to help the athletes pay for their competition fees, new uniforms and practice sets and gym fees.
• A St. Baldrick's Fundraiser will be held from 1-5 p.m. at the local Veterans of Foreign Wars post, located at 1500 Webb St., Sanford. Volunteers will shave their heads in a bid to raise money to combat childhood cancer. To learn more, see https://www.facebook.com/events/392398944207750/?fref=ts or http://www.stbaldricks.org/teams/mypage/86984/2013.
• Carolina Animal Rescue and Adoption's fifth annual “Run for Their Lives” 5K and 10K race and festival will start at 8 a.m. (races) at Kiwanis Park, 1800 Wicker St., Sanford; the family festival will be held from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Registration was $25 prior to Aug. 14 and $30 after or on race day (6:30-7:30 a.m.). The event will include a certified course, food, local vendors and fun for kids. All proceeds go to CARA. See http://runfortheirlives5k10k.wordpress.com to learn more.
• A dialysis awareness function will be held from 10 a.m.-noon, with guest speaker Stanley Morgan of the COLTS public transit system, at the Lee County Library main branch, 107 Hawkins Ave., Sanford. The event is being sponsored by In Ya Face Talent and Entertainment, a local music production enterprise which also operates “Pop Your Top” bins at the Piggly Wiggly stores in Sanford and Pittsboro, where people can drop off aluminum can tabs to be collected and sold with proceeds going toward dialysis charity work. For more information, call (910) 374-8947.
• A CPR (basic and recertification) class will be offered at 9 a.m. at Central Carolina Hospital — North Building — 1000 Carthage St., Sanford. The class will provide comprehensive information and practice in CPR and obstructed-airway rescue for adults, children and infants. Other areas covered include one-rescuer CPR, management of foreign-body airway obstruction and the use of barrier devices for ventilation. The cost is $25, and an American Heart Association health care provider card will be issued upon completion. Register at http://www.centralcarolinahosp.com/en-US/CWSApps/FindAnEvent.aspx?ClassLink=52
• The Sandhills Natural History Society will meet at 7 p.m. at Weymouth Woods Auditorium, 1024 Ft. Bragg Rd., Southern Pines. The program will be “Past Reflections of Owl and Hawk Banding in the Great Valley of Pennsylvania." Bob Ganis will chronicle efforts to locate and band raptors in Lebanon and Dauphin counties, Pennsylvania, including long-eared, short-eared and barn owls, along with red-shouldered, broad-winged and American rough-legged hawks and kestrels. Visitors are welcome. Call (910) 692-2167 for more information or see www.sandhillsnature.org.
• The Sanford Area Chamber of Commerce will hold a special Public Policy Luncheon, featuring a forum for candidates for Sanford City Council and mayor, at 11:45 a.m. at The Flame Steakhouse in Sanford. A moderator will ask candidates the same questions and then, time permitting, the floor will be opened to attendees with questions. Registration is required. Call the Chamber at (919) 775-7341 or see www.sanford-nc.com to learn more.