CALENDAR FOR JUNE 21
• The Sanford Farmer's Market will be held from 9 a.m.–noon at Depot Park in downtown Sanford. All products locally grown or hand crafted. Credit, debit and SNAP EBT are accepted. Follow the market on Facebook for bi-weekly updates of what's in season, recipes and more — https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sanford-Farmers-Market/219549214730985 or call (919) 343-8440 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Goldston Cruz-N will be held from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. in downtown Goldston, exit 159 on Highway 421 between Sanford and Siler City. Antiques, hot rods, muscle cars and trucks are welcome. Guests are invited to visit, show off their hot rods and remember the good ole' days gone by. Concessions will be available at Rufus' Cafe, and music will be from the oldie/goldie era. There will be a 50/50 raffle, with a drawing at 3 p.m. Cruz continues though October. For more information, contact Bruce Denkins at (919) 898-4937 or email email@example.com.
• A flapjack fundraiser for First Church of Christ will be held at 8 a.m. at the Applebee’s restaurant located at 1325 Plaza Blvd. in Sanford. This leadership group will donate all proceeds raised to their building fund as they continue expanding in the Sanford area. Tickets are $7 and can be purchased by contacting Janie Pearson at (919) 499-9788. Breakfast includes a short stack of pancakes, sausage and beverages.
• Experienced or newbie kayakers and canoeists are welcome to join the Central Carolina Paddlers for their next meeting, which begins at 9 a.m. This trip's meeting/put-in is at Lumber River/ Chalk Banks Access. This month's program is a paddle down the Lumber River with a stop at the Cypress Bend Winery for a tour/tasting, which is also the take-out point. Note there is a $5 charge for tour/tasting. For information contact Pat Well at (919) 721-2509.
• The Lee County Genealogical and Historical Society will hold its annual summer picnic, with fellowship at 11:30 a.m. and lunch at noon, at the Harris Youth House of St. Luke United Methodist Church, 2916 Wicker St., Sanford (behind the church, beside the picnic shelter). Members and guests are asked to bring their favorite covered dish to share. Call (919) 499-7661 to learn more.
• Today is the deadline to register for “Wacky Olympics 2014,” presented by the Girl Scouts of Moore County from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. on June 28 at Phillips Memorial Park, Highway 24/27, Cameron. The registration fee is $2. This event is open to all registered girl scouts, as well as any interested fourth-graders through 11th-graders. Attendees should bring a bagged lunch, water bottle and sunscreen. Activities will include a pool noodle javelin throw, frisbee tic-tac-toe, lawn bowling, human bubbles, outdoor twister, tarp toss and more. Fees (payable to Moore County Girl Scouts) and registration forms may be submitted to Peggy Blackburn, 221 Blackburn Road, Cameron, N.C., 28326. ￼￼￼
• One By One meets at 4 p.m., at Trinity Lutheran Church, 525 Carthage St., Sanford. One By One welcomes all people who are interested in improving race relationships in an atmosphere where frank and open discussion is encouraged. The Rev. Aaron Johnson, a longtime activist for civil rights and social justice, will be the speaker. He also is the author of “Man from Macedonia,” a memoir of his experiences and struggles as an activist for more than 50 years. For more information, please call (919) 774-4797.
• A N.C. concealed carry handgun training will be held at 8 a.m. at Deep River Sporting Clays, 284 Cletus Hall Road, Sanford. Reservations are required. Call (919) 774-7080 to learn more. Tuition is $90.
• The Painted Petal design studio will host a kids' summer painting class at 10:15 a.m. at the studio, 1112 Hawkins Ave., Sanford. The cost is $20, and the project this week will be “Fishy Fishy.” Pre-registration is required, and payment is due the day of class. To learn more, call (919) 718-9284 or visit thepaintedpetal.com and select “classes” from the tab on the left. The “contact” link in the same tab will allow you to sign up.
• The Painted Petal design studio will host a painting class from 6-8 p.m. at the studio, 1112 Hawkins Ave., Sanford. Classes cover technique for decorative painting and various faux finishes, along with color tips and trends. All paints, supplies and surfaces are included in class cost unless otherwise posted. No painting experience is necessary. The cost is $35, and the project this week will be “Fancy Flamingo.” Pre-registration is required, and payment is due the day of class. To learn more, call (919) 718-9284 or visit thepaintedpetal.com and select “classes” from the tab on the left. The “contact” link in the same tab will allow you to sign up.