CALENDAR FOR JUNE 28
• The "Lift Every Voice And Sing" gospel event will be held from 5:30-8:30 p.m. at the Dennis A. Wicker Civic Center, 1801 Nash St., Sanford. The Bethel Ministries Band, The Sons of Destiny, The Gospel Winds Chorus, The Apostle Joe Green Group and The First Baptist Church Praise Dancers will perform. Tickets will be $15 for adults and $7.50 for children under 12; children under 5 will get in free. The doors will open at 4 p.m., and the show will start at 5:30 p.m. For ticket information, call (336) 908-6922 or (336) 338-5919.
• Christian Provision Ministries will host UJAM (U, Jesus And Me) weekend, starting today (Saturday) with a family fun day from 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. at Southern Lee High School, 2301 Tramway Road, Sanford. It will include track-and-field events, volleyball, kickball, games and a food court with various ethnic dishes. Call (919) 774-9462 or visit http://christianprovision.com to learn more.
• The public is invited to preview a new gated neighborhood in western Harnett County aimed specifically at adults ages 55 and older, with its own private clubhouse, recreation center, walking trails and more. The pre-sales event for Carriage Glen, a new neighborhood inside the larger Anderson Creek Club development, will be held from 9:30 a.m. to noon at the Anderson Creek Golf Course Clubhouse. There will be some short remarks followed by a question-and-answer session and refreshments. To RSVP, call (919) 814-2633 or visit www.andersoncreekclub.com.
• The Sanford Farmers' Market will be held from 9 a.m.-noon at Depot Park in downtown Sanford. All products are locally grown or hand-crafted. The market accepts credit, debit and SNAP EBT. Follow on Facebook for bi-weekly updates of what's in season, recipes and more, https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sanford-Farmers-Market/219549214730985, or call (919) 343-8440 or email email@example.com.
• Carolina Town and Country will hold a “Life of a Cowboy” event from 10 a.m.-noon for kids ages 4-14 at 710 E. Main St., Sanford. Kids will participate in a day of fun where they will run an obstacle course and learn what the “life of a cowboy” is like. There will be teams of three, and participants will be divided into two age groups — 4-9 and 10-14. Prizes will be awarded for first, second and third place. Call (919) 776-2790 to sign up.
• A Korean War remembrance, an annual event to remember the veterans who fought the forgotten war, will be held at 10 a.m. at the Airborne and Special Operations Museum, located in the Yarborough-Bank Theater in Fayetteville. The public is invited to honor and recognize those who served in the Korean War, the 187th Rakkasans and their four Medal of Honor recipients. N.C. Rolling Thunder Chapter 1 will be presenting a Missing Man table ceremony.
• Carolina Animal Rescue and Adoption will hold a “Putts for Mutts” annual benefit golf tournament, which kicks off with a shotgun start at 9:30 a.m. (check-in at 8 a.m.) at Little River Golf and Resort, 500 Little River Farm Blvd., Sanford. This is a four-person scramble tournament offering prizes, games, drinks, food and fun. The $75 per-player fee includes golf fees and cart, range balls and practice facilities, morning coffee and snacks, lunch and beverages, free gifts and a goodie bag, prizes for each flight and more. For more information, forms, sponsorship, or a paypal link, see www.cara-nc.org/puttsformutts. To register, call 888-766-6538.
• The Girl Scouts of Moore County will hold a “Wacky Olympics 2014” event from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. at Phillips Memorial Park, Highway 24/27, Cameron. The registration fee is $2. This event is open to all registered girl scouts, as well as any interested fourth-graders through 11th-graders. Attendees should bring a bagged lunch, water bottle and sunscreen. Activities will include a pool noodle javelin throw, Frisbee tic-tac-toe, lawn bowling, human bubbles, outdoor twister, tarp toss and more. Pre-registration is required by June 26, and registration includes the fee and completion of a health history form. For more information or to register, please contact: Morrissa Barber at (910) 245-2849.
• A benefit for Celia Carter will be held at Broadway Optimist Park, with a softball tournament starting at 8:30 a.m. The team entry fee is $125, and teams can buy up to five homeruns pre-game at $5 each or five for $20. Call Jason Thomas to sign up a team by Friday, June 20, at (919) 353-1046. Child and adult haircuts will be available for $10 each by a licensed hair stylist; call Lisa Ivey to set up an appointment at (919) 478-3733. There also will be a yard and craft safe and a chicken plate sale. Contact Tiffany Thomas to donate items at (919) 356-3502. Chicken plates are $7 apiece; contact Crystal Hickman at (919) 353-2060 or Candice Akridge at (919) 356-2993.
• The Rooster's Wife will present sultry jazz by Chaise Lounge at 6:46 p.m. (doors open at 6 p.m.) in the listening room of the Poplar Knight Spot, 114 Knight St., in downtown Aberdeen. See http://theroosterswife.org to learn more.
• Christian Provision Ministries' UJAM (U, Jesus And Me) weekend will continue with a multi-cultural Christ-centered worship experience, featuring special guest Papa San & Band from Jamaica at 8 a.m. and 11 a.m. The worship will be held at CPM's Worship Campus (2300 Courtland Drive, Sanford). Call (919) 774-9462 or visit http://christianprovision.com to learn more.