CALENDAR FOR JUNE 29
• The Rooster's Wife will present sultry jazz by Chaise Lounge at 6:46 p.m. (doors open at 6 p.m.) in the listening room of the Poplar Knight Spot, 114 Knight St., in downtown Aberdeen. See http://theroosterswife.org to learn more.
• Christian Provision Ministries' UJAM (U, Jesus And Me) weekend will continue with a multi-cultural Christ-centered worship experience, featuring special guest Papa San & Band from Jamaica at 8 a.m. and 11 a.m. The worship will be held at CPM's Worship Campus (2300 Courtland Drive, Sanford). Call (919) 774-9462 or visit http://christianprovision.com to learn more.
• The Painted Petal design studio will host a painting class from 6-8 p.m. at the studio, 1112 Hawkins Ave., Sanford. Classes cover technique for decorative painting, various faux finishes, along with color tips and trends. All paints, supplies and surfaces are included in class cost unless otherwise posted. No painting experience is necessary. The cost is $35, and the project this week will be “A Day at the Beach.” Pre-registration is required, and payment is due the day of class. To learn more, call (919) 718-9284 or visit thepaintedpetal.com and select “classes” from the tab on the left. The “contact” link in the same tab will allow you to sign up.
• Musician Tony Barnes will perform at 7 p.m. at Temple Theatre, 120 Carthage St., Sanford, as part of the theatre's “Tuesdays at the Temple” series. Barnes is the former lead guitar player and cowriter for Mckenzies Mill, a Nashville-based Southern Rock group. A veteran of the Nashville scene, Tony won broadjam.com's guitar solo contest in honor of Stevie Ray Vaughan with his original instrumental, "Push and Pull." He was then invited to bring his band to Madison, Wis., to perform at Muriel Anderson's All-Star Guitar Night at the Barrymore Theater with the likes of Monte Montgomery and Thom Bresh. He is now working on his second solo album. General admission is $10. Tickets are available from the Temple Theatre box office at (919) 774-4155 or online through Vendini.
• The Downtown Sanford Inc. monthly board of directors meeting will be held from 8-9 a.m. at 226 Carthage St., Sanford. The public is encouraged to attend. For more information, call (919) 775-8332, fax (919) 775-8207, email email@example.com or see www.downtownsanford.com.
• The Coalition for Families in Lee County's summer reading program will be held today and every Tuesday through July from 10-11:30 p.m. at the Lee County Community Arts Center, second floor, room 314, 507 N. Steele St., Sanford. The program will include story time, crafts, a snack and more; the theme is “Insects and Bugs.” Sessions are free and open to preschool children in Lee County. For more information or to register, contact Heather Garrity at (919) 774-8144, x 204, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Yada Yada Sisters will meet at 5 p.m. at the Enrichment Center of Lee County. Attendees are invited to bring their favorite sandwich and stay to play cards after eating. The sisterhood is a network with other females and offers an opportunity to receive support and encouragement from a sister. Call (919) 776-0501 x 2201 to register.
• The Lee County GOP will meet at 6 p.m. at Republican Headquarters at 101 S. Steele St., Sanford. Attendees can meet the Republican candidates for the November election and get a legislative report from state Sen. Ronald Rabin and state Rep. Mike Stone. To learn more, email email@example.com.