CALENDAR FOR OCT. 31
• Trick-or-treating in the city of Sanford will be held from 6-9 p.m. rain or shine.
• This week's story time theme at the Lee County Library will be "It's Halloween!" Children can dress up in their Halloween costumes for story time for preschoolers at 11 a.m. at the main branch, located on Hawkins Avenue. For more information, please contact Delisa Williams at (919) 716-4665 x 5484.
• The Temple Theatre will present “The Dixie Swim Club” at 2 and 7 p.m. at 120 Carthage St., Sanford. As a special Halloween night offer, guests who arrive in costume can see the 7 p.m. performance for $10. The show runs through Nov. 3. Adult tickets are $23; Thursday night adult, military and Lee County educator tickets are $19. Children and student tickets are $13. See www.templeshows.com to learn more.
• Carolina Animal Rescue and Adoption will hold a haunted house fundraiser from 6-8:30 p.m. at 217 Gulf St., Sanford. The cost is $3 per person; children under 10 must be accompanied by an adult. Admission is free with donation of items from CARA's supply wish list (available at www.cara-nc.org). All proceeds and donations will go toward the care of animals at CARA.
• The Lemon Springs Ruritan Club will hold its semi-annual pancake supper from 5-7 p.m. at the clubhouse on Lake Willett Road. It is an all-you-can-eat event. Tickets are $5 each and can be bought at the door. Any questions, please call club president Eddie Cupps at (919) 770-7049.
• The Rocky River Coon Club celebrates its 50th anniversary turkey shoot tonight and each Friday night at 7 p.m. during the month of November. The clubhouse grounds are located approximately halfway between Sanford and Pittsboro, just off U.S. 15-501 and Highway 87 between the Deep and Rocky rivers on River Forks Road. Watch for the signs. For more information, call (919) 776-0670.
• A benefit for Kim Holman, who is battling cancer, will be held from 11 a.m.-7 p.m. at Emmanuel Baptist Church, 632 McCrimmon Road, Carthage. There will be barbecue plates for $8 each, a silent auction and raffle tickets for a quilt and wooden swing glider. Delivery will be available to Sanford businesses. Contact Suzy Paschal at (919) 770-7187 or Becky Ennis at (910) 947-3000 if interested.
• The Temple Theatre will present “The Dixie Swim Club” at 8 p.m. at 120 Carthage St., Sanford. The show runs through Nov. 3. Adult tickets are $23; Thursday night adult, military and Lee County educator tickets are $19. Children and student tickets are $13. See www.templeshows.com to learn more.
• The B.T. Bullock Elementary PTO will host its first annual live auction at 6:30 p.m. at B.T. Bullock, 1410 McNeill Road, Sanford. Items and services available for bid include furniture, handmade crafts, jewelry, oil changes, student art projects, a weekend beach trip and more. Proceeds from the auction will go toward the construction of a new baseball field at B.T. Bullock. Questions can be addressed to Melissa Brewer, PTO vice president, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The 34th annual Brick Capital Classic will be held from 8 a.m.-8 p.m. at Lee Senior High School in Sanford. Those who would like to volunteer, please contact email@example.com. For more information on the event, go to www.lchsmarchingband.com.
• The Deep River Northview Optimist Turkey Shoot will be held tonight and every Saturday night, beginning at 6 p.m., through December.
• Morris Chapel United Methodist Church will hold its annual Fall Harvest Sale, offering plates of turkey and dressing with all the trimmings ($7 each) from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. or until food runs out at 8533 Cox Mill Road. New this year will be two serving lines. A live auction will be held at 4 p.m. to auction off all the cakes, donated items and handmade crafts. All proceeds go to the building fund. Call (919) 499-4949 for more information.
• Raven Rock State Park will hold a Fall Fun Day, featuring a guided hike and exhibits, starting at 10 a.m. Participants will meet by the picnic shelter and join a park ranger for a two-hour, two-mile hike to Raven Rock. From 11 a.m.-3 p.m., exhibits will be open at the picnic shelter. Ann Mathis, wildlife rehabilitator with the Wildlife Rescue Center in Sanford, will display live raptors from the center. Marc Fitchett will provide an exhibit on basic backpack camping and discuss hiking, camping, equipment and safety. Park staff will be available at the discovery table to explain some of park’s natural wonders and animal signs. Raven Rock State Park is located six miles west of Lillington off Highway 421 North. These programs are free. For more information, call the park office at (910) 893-4888.
• East Lee Middle School Athletics and PTSO will hold their 2013-2014 Golf Tournament from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. at the Sanford Golf Course. There will be a first-place trophy, 50/50 raffle and door prizes. Entry fees are $55 per person, or $210 for a team of four. Fees include green fees for 18 holes, cart rental and lunch at the course.
• The Lee County High Dance Team will host a flapjack fundraiser from 8-10 a.m. at the Applebee's located at 1325 Plaza Blvd., Sanford. All proceeds raised will go toward providing the team with T-shirts and warmups. Tickets are $7 and can be purchased at the door or by calling (919) 356-4150.
• Brick Capital Community Development Corporation, a nonprofit housing organization, will offer a homebuyer education workshop from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. in the Holmes meeting room at the Chatham County Library. The Homebuyer Education Workshop teaches families how to become successful homeowners. Chatham County is partnering with Brick Capital on this workshop to teach families about credit reports, budgeting, finding the right home and working with a realtor. The workshop will also include instruction on obtaining a loan and downpayment assistance, the closing process and post-homeownership resources. Brick Capital staff and professional guest speakers will be available to answer questions. For more information about Brick Capital’s homebuyer education workshops or to register, call (919) 775-2300. All are welcome.
• The American Red Cross will hold a blood drive from 9 a.m.-1:30 p.m. at Broadway Baptist Church, 105 E. Harrington Ave., Broadway. See http://www.redcrossblood.org to make an appointment or learn more.
• The Temple Theatre will present “The Dixie Swim Club” at 8 p.m. at 120 Carthage St. The show runs through Nov. 3. Adult tickets are $23; Thursday night adult, military and Lee County educator tickets are $19. Children and student tickets are $13. See www.templeshows.com to learn more.