CALENDAR FOR SEPT. 24
• A Small Business Center seminar titled “Financing Your Small Business” will be held from 3-5:30 p.m. at 400 Progress Blvd., Siler City. This course will provide information about the current U.S. lending environment. Participants will discuss the commercial loan process and lending programs available with the SBA. Contact Kelly Dehring, Central Carolina SBC, at (919) 774-6442 to learn more; see https://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/eventReg?oeidk=a07e7yno3ui72139c4b&oseq=&c=&ch= to register.
• A Small Business Center seminar titled “Finding and Writing Grants” will be held from 6:30-9 p.m. at the Dennis A. Wicker Center, 1801 Nash St., Sanford. This seminar will focus on how to get organized to prepare grant proposals with grant-writing tips. Contact Kelly Dehring, Central Carolina SBC, at (919) 774-6442 or email@example.com to learn more; register at https://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/eventReg?oeidk=a07e7ynpt8gd73fb328&oseq=&c=&ch=
• The Lee County Genealogical and Historical Society will hold its regular monthly meeting at 7 p.m. in the Lee County Library Auditorium, 107 Hawkins Ave., Sanford. The program will be an Endor Iron Furnace update, presented by Bob Brickhouse. Meetings are open to the public, and guests are welcome. Call (919) 499-7661.
• The Lee County Democratic Party will hold its monthly meeting at 6 p.m. at the Enrichment Center of Lee County. The guest speaker will be former state Sen. Ellie Kinnaird of Carrboro. Sen. Kinnaird, who served 17 years in the North Carolina General Assembly, recently resigned after witnessing the reversal of progressive legislation she and her colleagues had worked for and supported. For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or see www.leedemocrats.org.
• The public is invited to the 25th annual Central Carolina Small Business Expo from noon-4 p.m. at the Dennis Wicker Civic Center in Sanford. The event is put on by the Sanford Area Chamber of Commerce and Central Carolina Community College Small Business Center. For more information, call (919) 775-7341 or see http://www.sanford-nc.com.
• The Chatham Chamber of Commerce's annual meeting and silent auction is scheduled for 10:30 a.m. at the Shady Wagon Farm, 2312 Pea Ridge Road, New Hill. Motivational speaker and SkillsUSA Director Peyton Holland will be the speaker. Admission is $25 for chamber members and $35 for non-members. RSVP by Sept. 16 by emailing email@example.com or calling (919) 742-3333.
• The Family Medical Supply Business Fest 2013, Dunn’s 22nd annual business expo, will be held from 10:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. at the Dunn Community Building and Dr. PK Vyas Recreation Center in Dunn. Business Fest allows businesses to exhibit, demonstrate and promote their products and services, as well as network with other people in the business community while gaining exposure and discovering new customer markets. For additional information or an application, call the Dunn Area Chamber of Commerce at (910) 892-4113. Applications are available at www.dunnchamber.com/newsletter.cfm. Booth space is limited.
• The Lee County Republican Men’s Club will meet at noon at the Lee County Republican Headquarters, 101 S. Steele St., Sanford. State Sen. Ron Rabin and Rep. Mike Stone will review the most recent North Carolina legislative session and answer questions. All men registered as Lee County Republicans are invited to attend the meeting by emailing mensgroup@LeeGOP.org and making reservations. Attendees can enjoy a lunch ($10) catered by Mrs. Lacy’s Magnolia House and Tea Room.
• Sanford Jobseekers will meet from 8:30-10 a.m. at First Baptist Church in Sanford. All jobseekers are welcome. Job leads, help with job-search skills and encouragement will be provided. Call (919) 776-6137 for more information.
• A Lee HEALTh meeting will be held from 3:30-5 p.m. at the Lee County Health Department, 106 Hillcrest Drive, Sanford. The work of this task force includes developing a pilot community garden and pocket park projects and connecting local growers, nutrition education and food pantries to increase access to healthy foods. Subcommittees will have updates for this meeting, and those in attendance will also hear from a representative from the Society of St. Andrews on gleaning.
• Lee County Schools will host its annual college fair from 6-7:30 p.m. at the Dennis A. Wicker Civic Center, 1801 Nash St., Sanford. Representatives from more than 45 colleges and universities, along with the College Foundation of NC Inc., will be present to provide information and answer questions for juniors and seniors and their families.
• The Lee County Partnership for Children will hold an Early Childhood Summit from 11 a.m.-2 p.m. at Spring Lane Assembly of God, 1715 Spring Lane, Sanford. The special event will examine the status of young children in Lee County, with the goal of helping all children be successful and recognizing that children are our future. Call the Partnership for Children at (919) 774-9496 to learn more.
• The Chatham County Center of North Carolina Cooperative Extension's pollinator conservation workshop and garden tour, part of its Enhancing Sustainability Series, will be held from 2-5 p.m. in the auditorium of the Agriculture Building in Pittsboro. Advance registration was required for this event. Chatham County Agricultural Extension Agent Debbie Roos will give an overview of North Carolina pollinators and discuss the role of native bees and managed bees in crop pollination. Participants will learn about the principles of planting a pollinator garden and — just in time for fall planting — how to select trees, shrubs, herbaceous perennials, herbs, vines, and grasses to attract a diversity of pollinators. The workshop will include a tour of Cooperative Extension's demonstration pollinator garden at Chatham Marketplace, about half a mile from the Agriculture Building. Visit the Growing Small Farms website at http://go.ncsu.edu/gsfworkshops to learn more.