CALENDAR FOR JANUARY 19
• The Lee County Chapter of the NAACP (#5447) will hold a Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. celebration at 6 p.m. at Blandonia Presbyterian Church in Sanford. The guest speaker will be the Rev. Linda Smith, assistant pastor at First Calvary Baptist Church and Lee County School Board member. Karla's Kids dance ministry and Ms. Brittany Yarborough will be performing at this celebration.
• The Lee County Library at 107 Hawkins Ave. will be closed.
• The Temple Theatre will present “Black Pearl Sings” at 2 p.m. at the theater, 120 Carthage St., Sanford. Tickets can be purchased by phone or in person through the box office ( (919) 774-4155) or online via www.templeshows.com. Prices range from $23 for a regular adult ticket to $13 for children/students. Discounts available for military, Lee County educators and groups of 10 or more ($19 per person).
• The 15th annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. community celebration, sponsored by Council For Effective Actions & Decisions, will begin at 1:30 p.m. at the MLK Memorial Park On South Horner Boulevard. The speaker will be the Rev. Matt Garrett, former president of Central Carolina Community College and lay minister. Music will be rendered by local soloist Shawanda Gill. Local officials in attendance will place the wreath near the memorial wall, and those interested in purchasing an autographed brick in the walkway will be able to do so through the city. Order blanks will be provided.
• Harnett County Offices will be closed in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
• Lee County Offices will be closed in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
• City of Sanford offices will be closed in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
• The Lee County Library at 107 Hawkins Ave. will be closed in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
• Chatham County offices will be closed in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
• C.A.S.T. Production Music Ministry of Broadway and Team Maylonnie Downey will hold a benefit fundraising event at 7 p.m. at Temple Theatre, 120 Carthage St., Sanford. Headlining the event will be former NEWSBOYS lead singer and bassist, Phil Joel. Also performing will be worldwide Christian dance troupe Arts Evangelica and the Crossroads "No Limit" Band and Choir. The evening's devotional speaker will be Pastor Rolando Vargas. The benefit is being held to help defray the cost of medical care for Maylonnie Downey, a 7-year-old child who is one of the only children known in medical literature to have acquired both cystic fibrosis and sickle cell anemia. She requires monthly blood transfusions at North Carolina Children's Hospital and will likely undergo transplant surgery in 2014. Advance tickets ar $12.50. Tickets at the door will be $14.50. Groups of five or more can get advance tickets for $10.50. Call the box office at (919) 774-4155 or order online via www.templeshows.com.
• The 15th annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. community celebration continues at 9 a.m. with "Straight Talk for Teens," hosted by Solomon McAuley, at the Dennis A. Wicker Civic Center in Sanford. Local law enforcement officials and others will host seminars and break out sessions; the summit is open to all youth from sixth grade up. Meanwhile, vendors will be offering their goods and services, and information booths will also be set up. The community celebration will begin at 1 p.m. with music by the MLK community choir. The speaker will be the Rev. George McCormick, associate minister of Greater St. John Missionary Baptist Church of Asheboro and student transition and retention associate at A&T State University, Greensboro. Elected officials will be recognized, and door prizes, including cash, will be awarded.
• A Small Business Center seminar titled “Starting a Small Business” will be held from 6-9 p.m. at the Dennis A. Wicker Civic Center in Sanford. Participants will discover how to find the business that fits them, where to find resources to get started and how to write a simple business plan. Contact
Kelly Dehring at Central Carolina SBC at (919) 774-6442 to learn more; register at http://www.dawcc.com/calendar/.
• The Sanford Area Chamber of Commerce will hold an informational session about the Chamber Ambassador Program at 11:45 a.m. at 211 S. Steele St., Sanford. The session will cover the perks and requirements of being an ambassador. Learn more or register at http://www.sanford-nc.com.