CALENDAR FOR APRIL 30
• The Republican Party of Lee County will meet at 7 p.m. at the Lee GOP Headquarters, 101 S. Steele St., Sanford.
• The North Carolina Jump$tart Coalition Financial Literacy Partners Luncheon will be held from 11:30 a.m.–1 p.m. at the Quorum Center, 323 W. Jones, Raleigh. This is a networking opportunity with fellow financial education providers, including a formal address by North Carolina Secretary of State Elaine Marshall and lunch at noon. Contact Kelli Cheatham email@example.com for exhibiting information.
• Sen. Ron Rabin (R-Harnett), Rep. David Lewis (R-Harnett) and Rep. Mike Stone (R-Lee) have announced that they will make five stops on their Harnett County Town Hall Tour. The Town of Angier will host them at 7 p.m. at the Angier Municipal building (Town Board Room), 28 N. Raleigh St., Angier.
• The Lee Small Business Center will present a free seminar titled “Financing Your Existing or Prospective Small Business (CBS)” from 1-3 p.m. at the Dennis A. Wicker Civic Center, 1801 Nash St., Sanford. Participants will learn what they need to know to make the financing application process go smoothly and get a "yes" from the bank. The presenter is Floria Oates-Williams. To register, please call (919) 774-6442 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Sanford Jobseekers will meet from 8:30-10 a.m. at First Baptist Church. The gathering will offer job leads, as well as assistance with job search skills and support from fellow jobseekers. Call (919) 776-6137 for information.
• San-Lee Park's Conservation Cubs will meet from 10-11 a.m. at 572 Pumping Station Road. This activity is open to children ages 3-5 with parent. The cost is $6 per child just for today, or $10 for today and May 15, which includes a healthy snack. Pre-registration is preferred. Call (919) 776-6221 and ask for Jaime Osborne or Carrie Council. The theme is “In the Garden.”
• The Lee County Library Trustee meeting is scheduled for 5:15 p.m. in the conference room of the main library on Hawkins Avenue.
• A quarterly membership meeting of Lee County JobReady will be held from noon-1 p.m. in the Lee County High School Culinary Arts Dining Room. Tony Bloedorn, business teacher at LCHS, will discuss a new certification available for accounting students. Other topics will include a Sanford Arts and Vine Festival concert update and election of the JobReady Executive Committee for 2013-2014. To RSVP, send a quick response to email@example.com, respond via the Lee County JobReady Facebook event page or call Jill Williams at (919) 774-6226 x 1241.
• The Temple Theatre will present “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat” at 2 and 7 p.m. at 120 Carthage St., Sanford. The show, which runs through May 19, is a retelling of the biblical story of Joseph, whose brothers become jealous of his abilities and favor with his father and sell Joseph into slavery. Joseph is eventually sent to jail, where the pharaoh hears of Joseph’s abilities and then appoints him to the post of Number 2. Years later, Joseph’s starving brothers arrive and ask Joseph for assistance. Joseph ultimately reveals his identity and reunites the family. Tickets can be bought in person or by contacting the box office at (919) 774-4155 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Ticket prices are: adult, $23; Thursday night adult, $19; children/student, $13; Lee County teacher/educator, active military and groups of 10 or more, $19. See www.templeshows.com to learn more.
• Take a “Tropical Escape” one stroke painting class with Lisa Orlando of The Painted Petal from 6-8 p.m. at the Carolina Artists’ Colony, 148 S. Moore St. in downtown Sanford. A $35 fee covers instruction & supplies needed to create a hand-painted, beach-themed wood sign. Students may bring beverages and snacks to enjoy. Visit www.CarolinaArtistsColony.com for details. Call the Colony at (919)776-3489 to pre-register.
• National Day of Prayer observances will be held at the city of Sanford Municipal Building flagpole at noon and at the Broadway Veterans Memorial Park, also at noon. Area pastors will be leading prayers at those sites.
• Join the Lee County YMCA for a National Day of Prayer luncheon from 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. at St. Luke United Methodist Church. This time will be filled with fun, fellowship and community as friends, neighbors and family from all across Lee County join together for a time of peace and devotion. Interested parties may purchase a table of eight for $65. The chorus of Broadway Elementary School will put on a special musical performance. James White, vice president of leadership development for YMCA of the Triangle, will be the keynote speaker. Those wanting to attend, or looking for more information, please contact Jamie Roberts at Jamie.Roberts@YMCATriangle.org.
• Pittsboro will hold a public ceremony at 1 p.m. at the Eastern Chatham Senior Center to announce its designation as a North Carolina Certified Retirement Community (CRC). With Pittsboro designated a CRC, RetireNC will highlight and promote the city as an attraction to the multitudes of retirees who migrate to North Carolina. The designation lasts five years. To learn more about the program, visit www.visitnc.com/retire. To RSVP for Thursday’s event, visit www.eventbrite.com/event/6420240111/eorg#.