CALENDAR FOR MARCH 11
• The Democratic Women of Lee County will host a “Meet the Candidates” event at 6 p.m. in the ballroom of the historic Wilrick Hotel, 152 S. Steele St., Sanford. Democratic candidates will meet and greet in the ballroom. Doors open at 6 p.m., and candidates will be introduced at 6:30 p.m. Questions may be addressed to Lynda F. Turbeville at (919) 776-9916.
• Story time will be held at 10 a.m. at the Broadway Library, 206 S. Main St., Broadway. This week's theme is "green." Those in attendance will share stories, sing songs, do rhymes and more. For more information, please call Delisa Williams at (919) 718-4665, x 5484.
• The Central Carolina Jaycees will hold their next general membership meeting at 7 p.m. at the Carolina Brewery & Grill in Pittsboro, followed by a night of trivia. As always, meetings are open to the public and guests are encouraged to attend; however, please RSVP to Candace (firstname.lastname@example.org).
• Sanford Jobseekers will meet from 8:30-10 a.m. at First Baptist Church for networking, job leads and encouragement. All those seeking employment are welcome. Call (919) 776-6137 for further information.
• Story time for toddlers will be held at 10 a.m. at the Main Library on Hawkins Avenue in Sanford. The theme is “green.” For more information, please contact: Delisa Williams at (919) 718-4665, x 5484.
• The Sanford Area Chamber of Commerce annual membership meeting and fundraiser will be held at 6 p.m. at the Dennis A. Wicker Civic Center. The cost is $45 per person, or $360 for a table of eight. Tickets are available at the chamber.
• The N.C. Agricultural Development and Farmland Preservation Trust Fund will hold three workshops across the state for local governments interested in protecting their communities’ agricultural lands, including one today (Wednesday) from 9 a.m.-2:30 p.m. at the McSwain Extension Education & Agricultural Center, 2420 Tramway Road, Sanford. The Voluntary Agricultural District workshops are for agricultural advisory board members, county representatives, program staff, farmers, landowners, elected officials and anyone interested in farmland preservation and the administration of the Voluntary Agricultural Districts program. The workshops are free and open to the public, and this year, they will feature breakout sessions. For more information and to register, go to www.ncadfp.org/VADWorkshops.htm.
• Central Carolina Community College will hold an information session on industry workforce certifications that are available for free through the North Carolina Back-to-Work program from 10 a.m.-noon in room 120 at the college’s Lifelong Learning Center at W.B. Wicker, 900 S. Vance St., Sanford. For more information and for registration, call (919) 777-7794 or email email@example.com. The N.C. Back-to-Work program provides pre-employment training for specific entry-level, high demand technical jobs. Training will be short-term and focused on skills that lead to industry-recognized or state-regulated credentials.
• A “Love Your Selfie” event will be held from 6-8 p.m. at Big Screen Beauty Salon and Spa, 116 S. Steele St., Sanford. The informational event will feature Dr. Steven M. Zoellner of Pinehurst Plastic Surgery Specialists. Topics to be covered include injectables/fillers, cool sculpting and body contouring procedures. Please RSVP, as space is limited; contact Christy Callaghan at (919) 777-9198 or Pinehurst Plastic Surgery Specialists at (910) 295-1917.
• A Small Business Center seminar titled “Getting it all Done: Time Management for the Small Business Owner and Manager” will be held from 6-9 p.m. at the Dennis Wicker Civic Center, 1801 Nash St., Sanford. Trying to get everything done can be impossible in today’s up-to-the-minute world. But what if you could set and meet your priorities, work more effectively with the people around you, dig out from under the paperwork and email avalanche and move closer to a balanced life? Register at www.dawcc.com/calendar/ or call Kelly Dehring at Central Carolina SBC to learn more.
• Story time for preschoolers will be held at 11 a.m. at the Main Library on Hawkins Avenue in Sanford. The theme is “green.” For more information, please contact: Delisa Williams at (919) 718-4665, x 5484.
• The Sanford Business and Professional Women's Organization will host its fourth annual luncheon at 11:30 a.m. at the Dennis A. Wicker Civic Center, 1801 Nash St., Sanford. Faye Prosser, WRAL's Smart Shopper, will offer simple strategies for smarter shopping. Register at sanfordbpw.org.
• The Sanford/Lee County Stroke Support Group will meet at 1 p.m. at the Enrichment Center of Lee County, 1615 S. Third St., Sanford. The topic is Health Care 101 (things you need to know about health insurance). Featured will be speaker Donna Hewitt, health care reform advisor, and Clint Wutsky, candidate for physical therapy doctorate, UNC. The facilitator is Joy Phillips Murphy.