CALENDAR FOR JULY 13
• A “dog wash” event, with proceeds benefiting Animal Life Inc. Rescue, will be held from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. at Tractor Supply at 3004 S. Horner Blvd., Sanford. The event will offer $6 dog baths, $5 nail trims and pet adoptions.
• The Ammons Farm July 4 celebration set for Saturday has again been postponed due to recent weather and field conditions; the date has yet to be determined. Organizer Cindy Ammons said further details will be announced as they become available.
• A second Saturday cookout will be held from noon-1 p.m., at the Wings of Carolina Flight Center at Raleigh Executive Jetport at Sanford-Lee County. Those in attendance can meet club members, local pilots and others interested in aviation. Lunch is available for $5.
• A fun shoot will be held at Deep River Sporting Clays, with registration and the wobble deck opening at 9 a.m. and event shooting starting at 10 a.m. Shooting will be held over 13 fields. The entry fee is $50 ($35 for members); youth shoot for $30. Each class winner will get a $25 gift certificate for goods or services at Deep River, and all shooters will be entered into a drawing for a case of cartridges and other prizes.
• The Sanford Farmers Market will be held from 9 a.m.-noon at Depot Park, 106 Charlotte Ave. in downtown Sanford. Patrons can purchase the best of locally grown seasonal fresh fruits, vegetables and other produce. Those wanting further information about buying or selling at the market can call Sue Buie at (919) 356-3007, email DonnaBuie@aol.com or see www.facebook.com/pages/Sanford-Farmers-Market/219549214730985.
• The Carolina Pines Ballroom Chapter 6091 USA Dance invites the public to its “All-American Picnic Dance,” an evening of fun, music, picnic food and dance, at 7 p.m. at 105 McReynolds St., Carthage (across the street from Fred's on the second floor of the Sinclair Building). The dance begins with snacks, then a free dance lesson from 7:30-8 p.m. and open dancing from 8-10 p.m. Singles and couples are welcome; please bring an appetizer or a picnic food to share. This is a smoke-free/alcohol-free event. Admission is $7 members, $10 guests. All first-time guests get in free. For more information, call Asunda at (919) 356-2784 or visit www.DancingInTheCarolinaPines.org.
• The Sunrise Theater's annual Blues Crawl fundraiser will be held in downtown Southern Pines. This year's event will involve nine venues and even more bands; all-access wristbands are available in the Sunrise Theater administration office or online at www.sunrisetheater.com. Wristbands bought before July 5 are $18, they are $20 after. Wristbands gain patrons access into every venue, including Sunrise Theater. To see the lineup and learn more, see http://www.sunrisetheater.com or call (910) 692-5801. Those who would like to volunteer at the event, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The W.B.Wicker Alumni committee will meet at 4 p.m. at Comfort Suites in Sanford.
• The Chatham County Center of North Carolina Cooperative Extension will offer a free informational meeting as part of its Enhancing Sustainability Series from 7-9 p.m. in the auditorium of the Agriculture Building in Pittsboro. Derek St. Romain, Central North Carolina regional coordinator for the nonprofit Backyard Bow Pro, will talk about connecting farmers and landowners with hunters to reduce deer depredation and provide hunger relief. Attendees will also hear from local landowners, hunters, food bank representatives and others who have worked with Backyard Bow Pro. Registration is not required. For more information, email email@example.com, call Chatham County Cooperative Extension at (919) 542-8202 or visit www.nohungrypeople.org.
• The Women's Club will meet from 7–8 p.m. at 210 S. Main St., Broadway.
• The Tween Scene summer reading program for ages 9-12 will be held from 3-4 p.m. at Harnett County Public Library, 601 N. Main St., Lillington.
• The Lee County Library's Summer Reading Program will present “Dig Into Chinese Culture,” featuring Ling Huang from CCCC, at 2 p.m. at the main branch on Hawkins Avenue. The program is tailored toward grades 1-3.
• A kids' talent show will be held from 6-7 p.m. at Harnett County Public Library, 601 N. Main St., Lillington. Registration is required. To learn more, call (910) 893-3446.
• A support group for those with Parkinson's Disease, their family members, caregivers and friends, will be held at 10:30 a.m. at the Enrichment Center of Lee County, 1615 S. Third St., Sanford. Participants are encouraged to show and tell about their helpful tools, such as velcro for buttons or a long shoe horn. To learn more, call (919) 776-0501.
• The public is invited to a hot dog supper at 6 p.m., and free free puppet troupe performance at 7 p.m., at Trinity Lutheran Church — 525 Carthage St., Sanford. Everyone is welcome, kids and adults, to see the Michigan-based troupe, Puppen Fur Christus, German for "puppets for Christ".
• The Lee County Library's Summer Reading Program will present “Ants,” featuring Daphne Ryser from Coalition for Families, at 10 a.m. at the main branch on Hawkins Avenue. The program is tailored toward toddlers and preschoolers.