CALENDAR FOR JULY 16
• The Lee County Library's Summer Reading Program will present “Dig Into Chinese Culture,” featuring Ling Huang from CCCC, at 2 p.m. at the main branch on Hawkins Avenue. The program is tailored toward grades 1-3.
• A kids' talent show will be held from 6-7 p.m. at Harnett County Public Library, 601 N. Main St., Lillington. Registration is required. To learn more, call (910) 893-3446.
• Sanford Jobseekers will meet from 8:30-10 a.m. at First Baptist Church. All who are searching for employment are welcome. Call (919) 776-6137 for more information.
• A support group for those with Parkinson's Disease, their family members, caregivers and friends, will be held at 10:30 a.m. at the Enrichment Center of Lee County, 1615 S. Third St., Sanford. Participants are encouraged to show and tell about their helpful tools, such as velcro for buttons or a long shoe horn. To learn more, call (919) 776-0501.
• The public is invited to a hot dog supper at 6 p.m., and free free puppet troupe performance at 7 p.m., at Trinity Lutheran Church — 525 Carthage St., Sanford. Everyone is welcome, kids and adults, to see the Michigan-based troupe, Puppen Fur Christus, German for "puppets for Christ".
• The Lee County Library's Summer Reading Program will present “Ants,” featuring Daphne Ryser from Coalition for Families, at 10 a.m. at the main branch on Hawkins Avenue. The program is tailored toward toddlers and preschoolers.
• Preschool storytime will be held from 10–11 a.m. at the Harnett County Public Library, 601 N. Main St., Lillington, for ages 3-5; participants are encouraged to bring show-and-tell items. The library will then host “The Falconer” from 2-3 p.m., allowing attendees to get up close and learn interesting facts about these birds; followed by the Teen-Formers summer reading program, for ages 13-18, from 6-7 p.m.
• The Carolina Mountain Dulcimers will meet at 7 p.m. at the Carol Woods Retirement Community in Chapel Hill. Beginners, experts and all stringed instruments are welcome. For more information and directions, contact Shirley Ray at ShirleyRay@aol.com or (919) 929-5359.
• A Sanford Area Chamber of Commerce AM Buzz event will be held at 7:30 p.m. at the Neurology & Pain Management Center, 1212 Central Drive, Suite 101, Sanford. The event will feature door prizes, a 50/50 raffle, coffee and breakfast.
• The Moore County Law Enforcement Officers Association will hold a fundraiser with Chili’s from 4-9 p.m. Anyone who visits Chili’s during these times and drops their receipt in the box, Chili’s will then donate 10 percent of the total bill to the Moore County Law Enforcement Officers Association. The organization provides support to several other nonprofit organizations within the county, such as the Cameron Boys Camp and Camp Duncan in Aberdeen, as well as a scholarship program for law enforcement officers wanting a college education and support for officers facing difficult times. The organization also provides a training facility for law enforcement agencies within Moore County.
• Downtown Sanford Inc. will present the Function at the Junction Summer Concert Series at 7 p.m. every Thursday through September at Depot Park in downtown Sanford. Patrons can bring lawn chairs, blankets and a picnic supper to these free outdoor concerts. Tonight, ABC will perform. For more information, call (919) 775-8332 or contact email@example.com.
• The Lee County Library's Summer Reading Program will present “Dig Into Chinese Culture,” featuring Ling Huang from CCCC, at 2 p.m. at the main branch on Hawkins Avenue. The program is tailored toward children in grades 4-6.
• A newborn care class, designed to educate parents on the physical care of the newborn, development needs of the young infant and adjustment to parenthood, will be held at 6:30 p.m. in the community classroom at Central Carolina Community College, 1135 Carthage St., Sanford. To register, go to http://www.centralcarolinahosp.com/en-US/CWSApps/FindAnEvent.aspx?ClassLink=1863.
• A blood drive will be held from 2:30-7 p.m. at the Walmart at 3310 N. C. Highway 87 South, Sanford. To sign up or learn more, visit www.redcrossblood.org or call 800-RED-CROSS.
• Derek Olds will be live in concert shooting a music video at 7 p.m. at Brick City Church, 1408 Burns Drive, Sanford. Tickets are $3 pre-sale and $5 at the door. Space is limited.