CALENDAR FOR OCT. 12
• Cirque Italia, an aquatic spectacular show, will have shows at 1:30, 4:30 and 7:30 p.m. at the Lions Club Fairgrounds, 505 N. 7th St., Sanford. Cirque Italia is the only show in the United States to have a custom-built stage that holds 35,000 gallons of water and travels from city to city. The show continues through Sunday. To learn more, call (941) 704-8572 or visit www.cirqueitalia.com.
• The Carolina Pines Ballroom Chapter 6091 USA Dance invites the public to a Halloween Dance at 7 p.m. at 105 McReynolds St., Carthage (across the street from Fred's on the second floor of the Sinclair Building). The dance begins with snacks, followed by a complimentary dance lesson from 7:30-8 p.m. and open dancing from 8-10 p.m. Singles and couples are welcome. Please bring an appetizer or a food to share; beverages are provided. This is a smoke free/alcohol free event. The cost is $7 for members, $10 for guests. All first-time guests get in free. Those in attendance can wear a costume if they wish, but it is not required.
• The 26th annual Old Fashion Day will be held from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. in downtown Goldston. There will be pony rides, face painting and a walk-in butterfly tent, as well as food, art, antiques, mums, pumpkins, pottery, home décor and more. Admission and parking are free. This event is sponsored by the Goldston Lions Club, and proceeds will benefit the blind and visually impaired in our community and surrounding areas. The Lions will be collecting eyeglasses, hearing aids and cellphones to be recycled, which can be dropped off at the Goldston Lions ice cream tent. For more information, please call (919) 718-2317 or (919) 898-4937.
• Carolina Town and Country will have it's annual Pink Event from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. at 710 E. Main St., Sanford, for Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Vendor fees will go to breast cancer care at the hospital. Those interested in participating as a vendor or wanting more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Clean Jordan Lake volunteers will once again participate in Chatham County's N.C. Big Sweep effort from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. They will remove trash from a two-mile stretch of shoreline that extends north from the B. Everett Jordan Dam along the east side of Jordan Lake. Volunteers should meet at 9 a.m. at the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ East Gate Access just south of 3005 Pea Ridge Road. The event will end at 1 p.m. with a luncheon celebration donated by Amante Pizza of Cary. Boaters, kayakers and walkers are all welcome. Water, snacks, bags and gloves will be provided. Due to potential hazards, children under the age of 11 may not participate, and those between 11 and 16 must be accompanied by an adult. Volunteers are encouraged to register online for this event by visiting www.meetup.com/helpcleanjordanlake.
• Veterans Stand Down 2013 will be held from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. at the National Guard Armory, 2214 Nash St., Sanford. The purpose of the Veterans Outreach of Central North Carolina, hosted by the Sanford, Lee County Committee, is to provide humanitarian services to veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces, including haircuts, psychosocial services, Veterans Administration services, health screenings, educational services, N.C. Vocational Rehabilitation and more. For more information, please contact Leon Jackson at (919) 775-2241 or email email@example.com. Attendees should bring their VA card or DD Form 214 if available.
• The fifth annual Shaw House Fair of Collectibles and Antiques will be held from 10 a.m.-4 p.m, rain or shine at the corner of Morganton Road and Broad Street in Southern Pines. This year, James Smith will be on hand to repair glass and crystal items. The Moore Treasures sale of collectibles and antiques will go on as before, and there will be live music by the Java Mules in the morning and the Joyful Noise in the afternoon. Visitors to the historic Shaw House and Sanders Cabin can watch craft demonstrations in vintage arts such as rug hooking, woodcrafts, quilting, dulcimer and banjo, leather craft, needlepoint and chair caning. Admission to the fair is free, and food will be served. Some vendors' spots are still available for $45 each and can be reserved by calling Grace at (919) 693-1019 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Read more about the fair at www.moorehistory.com.
• A fun shoot will be held at 10 a.m. (registration opens at 9 a.m.) at Deep River Sporting Clays, 284 Cletus Hall Road, Sanford. Entry is $35 for Deep River members, $50 for non-members. These are 100-target shoots. Each class winner will receive a $25 gift certificate for use at DRSC. Details: www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=458410750883469&set=a.225086220882591.54259.104413012949913&type=1&theater
• Carolina Animal Rescue and Adoption, Family Veterinary Hospital and Stan Lewis Photography will offer pet Halloween photos (professional pet portraits with or without a costume) from noon-4 p.m. during the Sanford Second Sunday event on Steele Street. Family Veterinary Hospital will offer them again from 4-8 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 16, at 303 S. Horner Blvd., Sanford. The cost is $15 for a 4-by-6 portrait; 10 percent of the proceeds go to CARA, with a matching donation from Family Veterinary Hospital. Costumes are available for purchase at both events. For more information about photos, please contact Family Veterinary Hospital at (919) 718-0850.
• Sanford Second Sunday will be held from noon-4 p.m. in downtown Sanford. The event will feature street vendors and music, and many downtown merchants will be open. For more information, contact email@example.com.
• Artists Studio at Fearrington Village will present Art in the Village Autumn 2013 from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. at Fearrington Village Center. Patrons will experience a day of visual arts, music and fun. Details: http://fearringtonartists.org/
• Cirque Italia, an aquatic spectacular show, will have shows at 2:30 and 6:30 p.m. at the Lions Club Fairgrounds, 505 N. 7th St, Sanford. Cirque Italia is the only show in the United States to have a custom-built stage that holds 35,000 gallons of water and travels from city to city. To learn more, call (941) 704-8572 or visit www.cirqueitalia.com.
• A service will be held at Oak Grove Holiness Church at 2:30 p.m. The guest pastor and church will be Pastor P. Carter and New Beginnings Ministries, Siler City. The host pastor will be Pastor Pearline McMillian, Oak Grove Holiness Church. Questions can be addressed to Sandra Melvin at (910) 818-1360.