CALENDAR FOR OCT. 15
• The Festival Singers of Lee County will rehearse at 7 p.m. in the choir room of First Presbyterian Church, 203 Hawkins Ave., Sanford. This community group welcomes new and returning members to come join and sing in the upcoming Dec. 1 holiday concert. For more information, please call (919) 774-4608 or (919) 776-3624.
• A presentation titled “Retirement Matters” will be held from 6-8 p.m. at the Enrichment Center of Lee County. A light dinner will be served at 5 p.m.; reservations are required. Tommy Rosser Jr., financial representative with Consolidated Planning Inc., will discuss how most Americans express that they do not feel comfortable with their plans for retirement. Call The Enrichment Center at (919) 776-0501 x 2201 to register.
• A free Small Business Center seminar titled “Choosing Your Business Structure” will be held from 3-5:30 p.m. at the CCCC Siler City Campus, Main Building room 230, Siler City. Participants will learn the advantages and disadvantages of sole proprietorships, partnerships, corporations, chapter S-corporations and limited liability companies (LLC's). Call (919) 545-8013 to learn more.
• Thomas Rosser Jr., LUTCF financial representative with Consolidated Planning Inc., will present a free program on retirement and how to be ready when the time is right from 6-8 p.m. at the Enrichment Center of Lee County. A light dinner will be served at 5 p.m.; reservations are required. Call the Enrichment Center at (919) 776-0501 x 2201 to sign up or learn more.
• Registration for The Salvation Army's Christmas JOY (Joy for Others at Yuletide) program will be held from 9-11 a.m. and 1-4 p.m. at the Army's offices in the Lee County Arts Building, 507 N. Steele St., Sanford. The JOY program provides Christmas presents to those families with children up to age 12 who otherwise cannot afford gifts. Sponsorship isn't guaranteed for families who apply, but The Salvation Army works with area businesses, churches and individuals to “adopt” the JOY program “angels” and provide them with needed clothing and gift items. To apply, parents or legal guardians must provide picture ID, proof of legal guardianship and residence in Lee County, proof of monthly income for everyone in the household and proof of monthly expenses. The Army requests that children not be brought to registration. People may apply for the program only if they have not registered for other Christmas assistance from other agencies. To learn more, please call The Salvation Army at (919) 718-1717.
• Sanford Jobseekers will meet from 8:30-10 a.m. at First Baptist Church in Sanford. Job leads, job fair information and encouragement will be offered. All who are interested in seeking employment are welcome. Call (919) 776-6137 for information.
• Professional pet portraits (with or without Halloween costumes) will be offered from 4-8 p.m. at Family Veterinary Hospital, 303 S. Horner Blvd., Sanford. The cost is $15 for a 4-by-6 portrait.; 10 percent of the proceeds go to CARA, with a matching donation from Family Veterinary Hospital. Costumes will be available for purchase. For more information about photos, please contact Family Veterinary Hospital at (919) 718-0850.
• The Temple Theatre will present “The Dixie Swim Club” at 2 and 7 p.m. at 120 Carthage St. The show runs through Nov. 3. It follows five North Carolina women, who met on their college swim team and set aside a long weekend every August to recharge those relationships. The show focuses on four of those weekends, spanning a period of 33 years. As their lives unfold, these women increasingly rely on one another, through advice and raucous repartee, to get through the challenges (men, marriage, parenting, divorce, and aging) that life flings at them. Adult tickets are $23; Thursday night adult, military and Lee County educator tickets are $19. Children and student tickets are $13. See www.templeshows.com to learn more.
• The Sanford Area Chamber of Commerce's AM Buzz “Networking with a Jolt” event will be held at 7:30 a.m. at Hampton Inn in Sanford.
• A TARPO Rural Technical Coordinating Committee (RTCC) meeting will be held from 10:30 a.m.-1 p.m. at the Lee County Government Center, Wicker Conference Room, 106 Hillcrest Drive, Sanford.
• A TARPO Rural Transportation Advisory Committee (RTAC) meeting will be held from noon-2 p.m. at the Lee County Government Center, Wicker Conference Room, 106 Hillcrest Drive, Sanford.
• A newborn care class, designed to educate parents on the physical care of the newborn, development needs of the young infant and adjustment to parenthood, will be held at 6:30 p.m. in the community classroom at Central Carolina Community College, 1135 Carthage St., Sanford. To register, go to http://www.centralcarolinahosp.com/en-US/CWSApps/FindAnEvent.aspx?ClassLink=1863.
• The Carolina Mountain Dulcimers will meet at the Carol Woods Retirement Community in Chapel Hill at 7 p.m. Beginners, experts, and all stringed instruments welcome. For more information and directions, contact Shirley Ray at ShirleyRay@aol.com or (919) 929-5359.