CALENDAR FOR OCT. 9
• This week's storytime theme at the Lee County main library will be “Apples! Apples! Apples!” Storytime for toddlers will be held at 10 a.m. at the main library branch at 107 Hawkins Ave., Sanford.
• The Central Carolina Society for Human Resource Management will hold a job fair from 1-4 p.m. at the Dennis A. Wicker Civic Center, 1801 Nash St., Sanford.
• Sanford Jobseekers will meet Wednesday from 8:30-10 a.m. at First Baptist Church for job leads and networking. Participants should bring a copy of their resume and cover letter. This week, the group will discuss “How to Network at a Job Fair,” and members will plan to attend a job fair from 1-4 p.m. at the Wicker Civic Center. Call (919) 776-6137 for information.
• San-Lee Park's Conservation Cubs will meet from 10-11 a.m. today (Wednesday) and Oct. 23 at San-Lee Park, 572 Pumping Station Road, Sanford. Children ages 3-5 are welcome with parent The cost is st: $6 per child, or both days for $10 per child (includes a healthy snack). Preregistration is preferred. Call (919) 776-6221 to learn more; ask for Jaime Osborne or Carrie Council. The theme is “creepy crawlers.”
• A tour of Chatham County Cooperative Extension's Pollinator Paradise Demonstration Garden will be held today, and every second Wednesday of the month through November, at 5:30 p.m. at 480 Hillsboro St., Pittsboro. Participants should meet on the sidewalk in front of Chatham Marketplace. Agricultural Extension Agent Debbie Roos will lead the tour. Visit the garden website at http://go.ncsu.edu/pollinator-garden to take a virtual tour and learn more.
• A comprehensive diabetic nutrition class, for people with diabetes, their families and caregivers to provide an overview on what diabetes is and how it relates to diet, will be held at 4 p.m. in the community classroom at Central Carolina Hospital, 1135 Carthage St., Sanford. Carbohydrate counting and the plate method will be reviewed. To register, go to http://www.centralcarolinahosp.com/en-US/CWSApps/FindAnEvent.aspx?ClassLink=4500.
• Meals on Wheels of Sanford will hold its monthly board of directors meeting at 9:30 a.m. in the library of the First Presbyterian Church on Hawkins Avenue in Sanford. All interested members of the community are invited to join us and learn more about this ministry.
• A Small Business Center seminar titled “Personal Productivity” will be held from 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the Dennis A. Wicker Civic Center, 1801 Nash St., Sanford. This seminar is for individuals and business owners who do some or all of their work at a desk, allowing them to learn how to keep their responsibilities and commitments organized to maximize productivity. To register, visit https://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/eventReg?oeidk=a07e8166udz393bfb7f&oseq=&c=&ch=, and to learn more, contact Kelly Dehring at Central Carolina SBC at (919) 774-6442.
• This week's storytime theme at the Lee County main library will be “Apples! Apples! Apples!” Storytime for preschoolers will be held at 11 a.m. at the main library branch at 107 Hawkins Ave., Sanford.
• The Sanford-Lee County Stroke Support Group will meet at 1 p.m. at the Enrichment Center of Lee County, 1615 S. Third St., Sanford. The topic will be “The Importance of Staying Connected,” with speaker Judi Womack, family caregiver specialist with the Enrichment Center. Group facilitator is Joy Phillips Murphy.
• Sanford Business and Professional Women will host an inaugural women's conference called “The Women's Exchange” from 8 a.m-1 p.m. at the Dennis Wicker Civic Center in Sanford. It will be a half-day program including presentations, a panel of successful women business owners, networking, and a luncheon featuring keynote speaker Sharon Decker, N.C. Secretary of Commerce. Registration after Sept. 10 is $50. Sign up online at http://www.sanfordbpw.org/registration/.
• Cirque Italia, an aquatic spectacular show, will open at 7:30 p.m. at the Lions Club Fairgrounds, 505 N. 7th St, Sanford. Cirque Italia is the only show in the United States to have a custom-built stage that holds 35,000 gallons of water and travels from city to city. Adult tickets are $20, and in addition, one child gets in free with every adult ticket. The show continues through Sunday.To learn more, call (941) 704-8572 or visit www.cirqueitalia.com.
• Downtown Sanford and the Central Carolina Jaycees will present free Halloween movies in the park on Friday nights through Oct. 18 at 7 p.m. at Depot Park, 106 Charlotte Ave., Sanford. Tonight's movie is “Monster House.”
• Chatham County Parks and Recreation's family fun night and movie will be held tonight, having been postponed from Sept. 20, at 6 p.m. at Northeast District Park — 5408 Big Woods Road, Chapel Hill. This event is free to the public and will include outdoor children's games, arts and crafts, inflatable activities, a T-shirt contest, concessions for purchase and an outdoor movie, “Wreck-It Ralph” (PG). The movie will begin at 8 p.m. Call (919) 545-8555 to learn more.