CALENDAR FOR AUG. 9
• Workers for Clean Water will hold an anti-fracking meeting from 5-7 p.m. in the Lee County Arts Center conference room. To learn more, call Reginald Marsh at (919) 356-7187 or Janeth Benitez at (919) 888-3426.
• Black Belt Leadership Academy will hold a zombie wars Nerf night from 5-10 p.m. at 1716 Westover Drive, Sanford — pitting zombies versus Nerf guns. Kids can come get their faces painted, eat some pizza, watch a movie and take on the zombies; the cost is $40 for the first child and $25 for each additional child. Call (919) 777-6913 to learn more.
• A CPR (basic and recertification) class will be offered at 9 a.m. at Central Carolina Hospital — North Building — 1000 Carthage St., Sanford. The class will provide comprehensive information and practice in CPR and obstructed-airway rescue for adults, children and infants. Other areas covered include one-rescuer CPR, management of foreign-body airway obstruction and the use of barrier devices for ventilation. The cost is $25, and an American Heart Association health care provider card will be issued upon completion. Register at http://www.centralcarolinahosp.com/en-US/CWSApps/FindAnEvent.aspx?ClassLink=52
• Members of the public can join a park ranger at 10 a.m. at Raven Rock State Park in Lillington for a two-hour, 2.2-mile hike to learn about some of the cultural and geologic history of Raven Rock. Sturdy, closed-toe shoes for walking are recommended. Hikers will meet at the picnic shelter.
• The Moncure Lions Club is joining the Sanford Lions Club to host an evening of entertainment with local bands, an event to raise money and food for a local food bank, from 4 p.m. (gates open)-9 p.m. at the Lions Club Fairgrounds in Sanford. Crowd-favorite bands will be able to perform at the Lee Regional Fair. The price of admission will be four cans of food or $2 for the food bank. There will be games for kids, and food will be sold by the Moncure Lions Club.
• Belk will hold its biannual Kidfest in-store event from noon-3 p.m. at all locations, including the Sanford store at 1065 Spring Lane. The event will include runway fashion shows, featuring local children as runway models, as well as refreshments, music, games, face painting, balloons and prizes. Customers can save up to 50 percent off of the entire stock of children's apparel during the event, excluding designer collections.
• The Sanford Farmers Market will be held from 9 a.m.-noon at Depot Park, 106 Charlotte Ave., Sanford. Patrons can purchase the best of locally grown, seasonal fresh fruits, vegetables and other produce. For further information about buying or selling at the market, call Sue Buie at (919) 356-3007 or email DonnaBuie@aol.com.
• Deep River Sporting Clays and Shooting School will host a fun shoot, with shooting starting at 10 a.m. (registration and the Wobble Deck open at 9 a.m.), at 284 Cletus Hall Road, Sanford. The entry fee is $50, $35 for members and $30 for youth. This is a 100-target shoot, and each class winner will receive a $25 gift certificate for goods and services at Deep River. To learn more, see www.deepriver.net.
• The Lee County High School Marching Band will host a flapjack fundraiser from 7-10 a.m. at the Applebee's located at 1325 Plaza Blvd., Sanford. All proceeds raised will be used to offset competition and instructor fees. Tickets are $7 and can be purchased at the door or by calling (919) 499-3621.
• The Carolina Pines Ballroom Chapter 6091 USA Dance will hold its “Luau Dance” starting at 7 p.m. at 105 McReynolds St., Carthage (across the street from Fred's on the second floor of the Sinclair Building). The dance begins with snacks, then a complimentary dance lesson from 7:30-8 p.m. and open dancing from 8-10 p.m.. Singles and couples are welcome. Attendees are asked to bring an appetizer or a picnic food to share. This is a smoke free/alcohol free event. The cost is $7 for members, $10 for guests. All first-time guests get in free.
• The August meeting of the Republican Women of Lee County will be held at 6:30 p.m. at Lee GOP headquarters at 101 S. Steele St., Sanford. The guest speaker will be Mike Stone.
• Lee County Schools Superintendent Andy Bryan will hold a public meet-and-greet event at 5:30 p.m. at Deep River Elementary School. Bryan will hold a total of seven informal gatherings at elementary schools around the county, giving him the chance to hear from parents, community members and educators about the direction they would like to see Lee County Schools take in the next few years. Members of the public are invited to attend any session that is convenient for their schedule. For more information, please contact Lee County Schools Public Information Officer Sharon Spence at (919) 774-6226 or firstname.lastname@example.org
• The First Baptist Church of Sanford and Sandhills Center MCO will be sponsoring a free community-wide event titled “Autism — What Every Family Should Know” from 5:30-7 p.m. at First Baptist, 202 Summit Drive, Sanford. This is an informative session for parents, foster parents, professionals and others working with children. Childcare and light dinner are provided free, but registration is required. To register, contact Linda Swann, email@example.com or call toll free 1-877-776-6702.
• A bond informational session will be held during the Railroad House Historic Association meeting from 10-11 a.m. Bob Bridwell, director of Sanford's Community Planning & Development Department, and David Montgomery, executive director of Downtown Sanford, Inc., will discuss the upcoming bond referendum.