CALENDAR FOR FEB. 8
• "Give Lee Kids A Smile" will be held from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. at Central Carolina Community College, 1105 Kelly Drive, Sanford. This is a free event for Lee County children who do not have dental insurance. Free medical screenings and dental screenings will be offered, as well as cleanings and sealants for children ages 1 through 13.
• Beaver Creek Church will sponsor a free dental bus day from 8 a.m.-4 p.m. at the church, located at 2280 Nicholson Road, Cameron. Please note that participants of the Dental Bus must be over the age of 18.
• Central Carolina Community College and the Chatham Sculpture In The Environment Committee (SITE) will host a publiccharette, an information and discussion session, from 6.-7:30 p.m. in the Chatham Community Library’s Holmes Meeting Room, 197 N.C. Highway 87, on the college's Chatham Campus in Pittsboro. The charette will feature models of suggested sculptures for the first SITE sculpture project at the campus. For more information, contact Diane Pettus at (919) 542-7014 or by email email@example.com/. For more information about Central Carolina Community College's art or sustainability programs, visit www.cccc.edu.
• The Lee County 2014 Academic Quiz Bowl, featuring students from Lee Christian, Southern Lee, Lee Early College and Lee Senior, will be held at 10 a.m. in the old fellowship hall at First Presbyterian Church, next door to the library on Hawkins Avenue. The event is sponsored by the Lee County Library, Friends of the Lee County Library and The Sanford Herald.
• Greg Gelb and the Heart of Carolina Jazz Orchestra will present their special guest, Cecile McLorin Salvant, in a special performance at 8 p.m. (reception at 7 p.m.) at the Temple Theatre, 120 Carthage St., Sanford. McLorin is the winner of the 2010Thelonius Monk International Jazz Competition and has earned a 2013 Grammy nomination for her album, “Womanchild.” She performs interpretations of unknown and scarcely recorded jazz and blues compositions and focuses on a theatrical portrayal of the jazz standard and composing music and lyrics. General admission tickets are $25 and include the reception, hosted by the Temple. Call the box office at (919) 774-4155 or order online at https://www.vendini.com/ticket-software.html?m=81e3ccd7551f3180c82536e4cd325e2a&t=tix..
• The Central Carolina Jaycees are hosting a "Celebration of 2013" party at 8 p.m. at Gina Guerrero's home, 1518 Dogwood Acres Drive, Sanford. Jaycees are invited to grab their friends and prepare to relive all the great CCJC projects and memories from 2013. This is a BYOB party, and snacks are much appreciated as well.
• Visitors are invited to join a park ranger for a two-hour, two-mile hike to Raven Rock at 10 a.m. at Raven Rock State Park, located six miles west of Lillington off U.S. Highway 421 North. Those in attendance will discover how some plants and animals cope with the cold season. Participants will meet at the picnic shelter.
• The Harnett County Democratic Men's Club will kick off the political season at 8:30 a.m. with its annual Groundhog Day Breakfast at the Governmental Complex in Lillington. This event began in 1985 and has been a political mainstay since. Many state and federal candidates have used the breakfast as a stage to announce their candidacy. The 2014 theme will be the honoring of past and present party chairs. For more information call (910) 984-1012. The cost of the breakfast is $5.
• The 26th annual Chatham County Council on Aging’s Chocolate Cake and Cheesecake Bake Off is slated from 3-5 p.m. at the Eastern Senior Center in Pittsboro. The event is one of the council's major fundraisers, and attendees can enjoy the winning chocolate cakes and decadent cheesecakes while supporting programs and services for older adults. The cost is $5 for adult tickets and $3 for children to sample the winning sweets while enjoying milk or coffee. The deadline for entries was Wednesday, Feb. 5, by 5 p.m. To learn more, contact Megan Coggins at (919) 542-4512 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Author Harriet Hill will hold a book-signing event at 2 p.m. at McIntyre's Books, 220 Market St., Fearrington Village, Pittsboro. Hill, a Raleigh resident, will be available to sign copies of her book, “For the Love of Robert.” For more information, contact (877) 727-0697 or Michelle Whitman at email@example.com.
• Robert Reives, II will be sworn in as the 54th District House Representative at noon in Courtroom 3 of the historic Courthouse in Pittsboro. A reception will follow.
• The Sanford-Lee County Youth Council will meet from 4-5:30 p.m. at 225 E. Weatherspoon St., Sanford. Teens in grades nine-12 are encouraged to participate. Meetings are held at the Sanford Municipal Center (West End Conference Room) unless otherwise noted.