CALENDAR FOR OCT. 10
• Meals on Wheels of Sanford will hold its monthly board of directors meeting at 9:30 a.m. in the library of the First Presbyterian Church on Hawkins Avenue in Sanford. All interested members of the community are invited to join us and learn more about this ministry.
• Each year, The A.J. Fletcher Opera, an Academic Institute of Higher Education at UNCSA, and Piedmont Opera collaborate to bring opera to students across North Carolina. This year, the organizations will present the operatic version of the story of The Bremen Town Musicians, which addresses diversity. The opera will hold performances today at 9 and 10 a.m. at Pinehurst Elementary, 100 Dundee Road, Pinehurst.
• A Small Business Center seminar titled “Personal Productivity” will be held from 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the Dennis A. Wicker Civic Center, 1801 Nash St., Sanford. This seminar is for individuals and business owners who do some or all of their work at a desk, allowing them to learn how to keep their responsibilities and commitments organized to maximize productivity. To register, visit https://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/eventReg?oeidk=a07e8166udz393bfb7f&oseq=&c=&ch=, and to learn more, contact Kelly Dehring at Central Carolina SBC at (919) 774-6442.
• This week's storytime theme at the Lee County main library will be “Apples! Apples! Apples!” Storytime for preschoolers will be held at 11 a.m. at the main library branch at 107 Hawkins Ave., Sanford.
• The Sanford-Lee County Stroke Support Group will meet at 1 p.m. at the Enrichment Center of Lee County, 1615 S. Third St., Sanford. The topic will be “The Importance of Staying Connected,” with speaker Judi Womack, family caregiver specialist with the Enrichment Center. Group facilitator is Joy Phillips Murphy.
• Sanford Business and Professional Women will host an inaugural women's conference called “The Women’s Exchange” from 8 a.m-1 p.m. at the Dennis Wicker Civic Center in Sanford. It will be a half-day program including presentations, a panel of successful women business owners, networking, and a luncheon featuring keynote speaker Sharon Decker, N.C. Secretary of Commerce. Registration after Sept. 10 is $50. Sign up online at http://www.sanfordbpw.org/registration/.
• Cirque Italia, an aquatic spectacular show, will open at 7:30 p.m. at the Lions Club Fairgrounds, 505 N. 7th St, Sanford. Cirque Italia is the only show in the United States to have a custom-built stage that holds 35,000 gallons of water and travels from city to city Adult tickets are $20, and in addition, one child gets in free with every adult ticket.The show continues through Sunday.To learn more, call (941) 704-8572 or visit www.cirqueitalia.com.
• Downtown Sanford and the Central Carolina Jaycees will present free Halloween movies in the park on Friday nights through Oct. 18 at 7 p.m. at Depot Park, 106 Charlotte Ave., Sanford. Tonight's movie is “Monster House.”
• Chatham County Parks and Recreation's family fun night and movie will be held tonight, having been postponed from Sept. 20, at 6 p.m. at Northeast District Park — 5408 Big Woods Road, Chapel Hill. This event is free to the public and will include outdoor children's games, arts and crafts, inflatable activities, a T-shirt contest, concessions for purchase and an outdoor movie, “Wreck-It Ralph” (PG). The movie will begin at 8 p.m. Call (919) 545-8555 to learn more.
• Cirque Italia, an aquatic spectacular show, will have shows at 1:30, 4:30 and 7:30 p.m. at the Lions Club Fairgrounds, 505 N. 7th St, Sanford. Cirque Italia is the only show in the United States to have a custom-built stage that holds 35,000 gallons of water and travels from city to city. Adult tickets are $20, and in addition, one child gets in free with every adult ticket. The show continues through Sunday. To learn more, call (941) 704-8572 or visit www.cirqueitalia.com.
• The Carolina Pines Ballroom Chapter 6091 USA Dance invites the public to a Halloween Dance at 7 p.m. at 105 McReynolds St., Carthage (across the street from Fred's on the second floor of the Sinclair Building). The dance begins with snacks, followed by a complimentary dance lesson from 7:30-8 p.m. and open dancing from 8-10 p.m. Singles and couples are welcome. Please bring an appetizer or a food to share; beverages are provided. This is a smoke free/alcohol free event. The cost is $7 for members, $10 for guests. All first-time guests get in free. Those in attendance can wear a costume if they wish, but it is not required.
• The 26th annual Old Fashion Day will be held from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. in downtown Goldston. There will be pony rides, face painting and a walk-in butterfly tent, as well as food, art, antiques, mums, pumpkins, pottery, home décor and more. Admission and parking are free. This event is sponsored by the Goldston Lions Club, and proceeds will benefit the blind and visually impaired in our community and surrounding areas. The Lions will be collecting eyeglasses, hearing aids and cellphones to be recycled, which can be dropped off at the Goldston Lions ice cream tent. For more information, please call (919) 718-2317 or (919) 898-4937.
• Carolina Town and Country will have it's annual Pink Event from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. at 710 E. Main St., Sanford, for Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Vendor fees will go to breast cancer care at the hospital. Those interested in participating as a vendor or wanting more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Clean Jordan Lake volunteers will once again participate in Chatham County’s N.C. Big Sweep effort from 9 a.m.-1 pm. They will remove trash from a two-mile stretch of shoreline that extends north from the B. Everett Jordan Dam along the east side of Jordan Lake. Volunteers should meet at 9 a.m. at the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ East Gate Access just south of 3005 Pea Ridge Road. The event will end at 1 p.m. with a luncheon celebration donated by Amante Pizza of Cary. Boaters, kayakers and walkers are all welcome. Water, snacks, bags and gloves will be provided. Due to potential hazards, children under the age of 11 may not participate, and those between 11 and 16 must be accompanied by an adult. Volunteers are encouraged to register online for this event by visiting www.meetup.com/helpcleanjordanlake.
• Veterans Stand Down 2013 will be held from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. at the National Guard Armory, 2214 Nash St., Sanford. The purpose of the Veterans Outreach of Central North Carolina, hosted by the Sanford, Lee County Committee, is to provide humanitarian services to veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces, including haircuts, psychosocial services, Veterans Administration services, health screenings, educational services, N.C. Vocational Rehabilitation and more. For more information, please contact Leon Jackson at (919) 775-2241 or email email@example.com. Attendees should bring their VA card or DD Form 214 if available.
• The fifth annual Shaw House Fair of Collectibles and Antiques will be held from 10 a.m.-4 p.m, rain or shine at the corner of Morganton Road and Broad Street in Southern Pines. This year, James Smith will be on hand to repair glass and crystal items, the Moore Treasures Sale of collectibles and antiques will go on as before, and there will be live music by the Java Mules in the morning and the Joyful Noise in the afternoon. Visitors to the historic Shaw House and Sanders Cabin can watch craft demonstrations in vintage arts such as rug hooking, woodcrafts, quilting, dulcimer and banjo, leather craft, needlepoint and chair caning. Admission to the fair is free, and food will be served. Some vendors' spots are still available for $45 each and can be reserved by calling Grace at (919) 693-1019 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Read more about the fair at www.moorehistory.com.
• A fun shoot will be held at 10 a.m. (registration opens at 9 a.m.) at Deep River Sporting Clays, 284 Cletus Hall Road, Sanford. Entry is $35 for Deep River members, $50 for non-members. These are 100-target shoots. Each class winner will receive a $25 gift certificate for use at DRSC. Details: www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=458410750883469&set=a.225086220882591.54259.104413012949913&type=1&theater