CALENDAR FOR SEPT. 10
• A free Small Business Center seminar titled “Writing a Business Plan, Part I” will be held from 3-5 p.m. at CCCC Siler City Campus, main building room 230, Siler City. In this session, participants will learn how to prepare an initial feasibility analysis to determine if their business idea can be viable before they undertake the task of writing a full business plan. Call (919) 545-8013 to learn more.
• The municipal primary election will be held from 6:30 a.m.-7:30 p.m. Residents can find voting locations and other information on the Lee Board of Elections' website at leecountync.gov/Departments/Elections/tabid/87/Default.aspx.http://leecountync.gov/Departments/Elections/tabid/87/Default.aspx
• Gates open at 4 p.m. at the 76th Lee Regional Fair, which runs through Sept. 15 at the Lions Club Fairgrounds on Colon Road in Sanford. Admission is $7 (children under 36 inches tall admitted free, and school-age children K-12 get in free from 4-7 p.m.). Carnival ride bracelets are $20 for all rides, or attendees can pay by the ride. See http://www.sanfordlionsclub.com to learn more.
• Sanford Jobseekers will meet at First Baptist Church from 8:30-10 a.m. Job leads will be provided, and support with resumes and job search skills will be provided. This week's program will be given on NCWorks, the newest search engine from the Employment Security Commission. Call (919) 776-6137 for information.
• a Patriot's Day ceremony, commemorating the anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, will be held at 11:30 a.m. at American Legion Post 382, 305 Legion Drive, Sanford, featuring several guest speakers.
• The Ruth Pauley Lecture Series will present “Lessons Learned from a Date with Destiny: A Historical and Inspirational View of 9/11” at 7:30 p.m. in Owens Auditorium on the Sandhills Community College campus in Pinehurst. Admission is free and open to the public with no tickets required. Joe Dittmar will give an eyewitness account of the sights, sounds, and scenes inside and outside the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001.
• Gates open at 4:30 p.m. at the 76th Lee Regional Fair, which runs through Sept. 15 at the Lions Club Fairgrounds on Colon Road in Sanford. Admission is $7 (children under 36 inches tall admitted free). Carnival ride bracelets are $20 for all rides, or attendees can pay by the ride. See www.sanfordlionsclub.com to learn more.
• A special Lee County JobReady meeting, featuring discussion regarding a pending merger of the Sanford Area Chamber of Commerce and the Lee County Economic Development Corporation, will be held from 1-2:30 p.m. at the Dennis Wicker Civic Center, Sanford. The meeting will be moderated by Bob Joyce, president of the Sanford Area Chamber of Commerce, and Crystal Morphis, Interim director of the Lee County Economic Development Corporation. The group discussion will help shape the direction of this new organization. RSVP by email at email@example.com, by phone (Jill Williams) at (919) 774-6226 x1241 or Facebook at www.facebook.com/events/168526976668899/.
• The 2013 Orange and Chatham Counties Development Briefing will be held from 7:30-9:30 a.m. at the Carolina Club, located at 550 Stadium Drive in Chapel Hill. The briefing will provide attendees with a host of information about the latest development trends in local markets, new economic development initiatives in our counties and the status of approved projects in Orange and Chatham counties. Commercial and residential real estate professionals, planners and economic development experts will present information and take questions from attendees. Participants can network with more than 160 attendees from all areas of business and enjoy a full breakfast during the briefing. Tickets are $28 for Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber members, Chatham Chamber members, and GCHAR members; $38 for non-members; and $300 for preferred seating for eight. Tickets are non-refundable after 5 p.m., Thursday, Sept. 5. To attend, register by phone at (919) 967-7075 or online at http://business.carolinachamber.org/events/details/orange-chatham-counties-2099
• Lee County High School will hold an open house for parents from 6-7:30 p.m.
• A tour of Chatham County Cooperative Extension’s Pollinator Paradise Demonstration Garden will be held today, and every second Wednesday of the month through November, at 5:30 p.m. Participants should meet on the sidewalk in front of Chatham Marketplace. Visit the garden website at http://go.ncsu.edu/pollinator-garden to take a virtual tour and learn more.
• A Comprehensive diabetic nutrition class, for people with diabetes, their families and caregivers to provide an overview on what diabetes is and how it relates to diet, will be held at 4 p.m. in the community classroom at Central Carolina Hospital, 1135 Carthage St., Sanford. Carbohydrate counting and the plate method will be reviewed. To register, go to http://www.centralcarolinahosp.com/en-US/CWSApps/FindAnEvent.aspx?ClassLink=4500.