CALENDAR FOR MARCH 9
• The 20th annual Kovack Pottery spring event will be held today through March 17 from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Saturday and noon-5 p.m. on Sundays at Kovack Pottery, 1298 Fork Creek Mill Road, Seagrove. The event is a unique pottery celebration showcasing limited-edition pieces, new items, favorites and more. To learn more, call (336) 873-8727 or visit www.kovackpottery.com.
• Sandy Creek Baptist Association RA race day will be held starting at 9:30 a.m. (registration) at the Family Life Center, First Baptist Church, 202 Summit Drive, Sanford. Races begin at 10:30 a.m. Call (919) 776-9423 to register.
• The North Carolina Democratic Party will hold annual precinct organizational meetings in Lee County at 10 a.m. at the Lee County Democratic Headquarters, 143 Charlotte Ave. Coffee and donuts will be served. These meetings are free and open to any Democrat residing in a precinct in Lee County. In addition to electing officers in each precinct, each precinct will elect delegates to the Lee County Democratic Party County Convention on Saturday, April 13, at 10 a.m. For more information, please contact Ann McCracken, chair of the Lee County Democratic Party, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (919) 774-4797.
• The 78th Annual Highfalls Old-Time Fiddlers’ Convention will kick off with registration at 4:30 p.m. at North Moore High School Auditorium, located on North Moore Road between High Falls and Robbins. Bands can participate without pre-registration. Admission is $7 per person for an evening of entertainment that begins at 5:30 p.m. Tickets can be purchased at the door. A concession stand will be open throughout the evening. More than $1,800 in cash prizes and ribbons will be awarded in multiple categories. For more information, call Highfalls Elementary during school hours at (910) 464-3600 or visit http://tinyurl.com/27gq84c.
• A grand opening celebration will be held at Shine N Styles cleaning, decorating and designs from noon-4 p.m. at 816 Wooland Ave., Sanford. The event will offer free food, a fun zone for kids with a bounce house, and drawings for gift baskets and a free clean. For more information please call (919) 774-7944.
• The Lee County Republican Party will hold its annual precinct meetings and convention, with registration from 8:30-9:30 a.m., at the Republican headquarters located at 101 S. Steele St. in Sanford. Precinct meetings will be held from 9:30-10 a.m., followed by the convention from 10-11 a.m. and a guest speaker from 11 a.m.-noon. During the precinct meetings, elections of delegates to the county, district and state conventions will take place. In every odd-numbered year, the convention will elect officers and executive board members who will lead the party during the 2013-2014 elections cycle. All interested Republicans are invited to attend; however, to be a voting delegate at the precinct meeting, one must be a registered Republican by Jan. 31, 2013.
• Temple Theatre will present “Forever Plaid” at 8 p.m. at 120 Carthage St. The show runs through March 17; Ticket prices are $23 for adults (Thursday night adult ticket is $19), $13 for children/students and $19 for Lee County teachers/educators, active military and groups of 10 or more. Tickets may be purchased in person or by contacting the box office via phone or email at (919) 774-4155 or email@example.com.
• The Epsilon Gamma Central Carolina Chapter of Eta Phi Beta Sorority Inc. is partnering with the Christian Education Department of Cameron Grove AMEZ Church, under the direction of Minnie Ragland, to host Career Awareness Day from 11 a.m.-2 p.m. in the Fellowship Hall at Cameron Grove AMEZ Church, 309 Vernon St., Broadway. This is an annual event held by the sorority, and the aim is to familiarize and/or to interest youth as they begin thinking about their future career choices. The target audience is middle and high school students. To learn more, contact Dr. Lillie Robinson at (919) 258-9326, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org; or contact Ragland at (910) 488-4890 or by email at email@example.com.
• USA Dance, chapter 6091, Carolina Pines, a non-profit ballroom dance group that serves Lee, Moore, and surrounding counties by providing a ballroom dance venue and lessons, will hold a fund-raiser to support Center Stage Bargains at 105 McReynolds St., Carthage. The Sanford thrift store supports the Center for Independent Living. Attendees are encouraged to bring their gently used household items, clothes or furniture to the dance to donate. Each bag or box of items donated will result in $1 off of admission to the dance.
• The First Annual Defeat the Disease Dodgeball Tournament to benefit Relay for Life of Lee County will be held from 4-8 p.m. at Grace Christian School. The tournament will be a double-elimination bracket and have a maximum of 12 teams of eight players per team (minimum of two girls per team). The cost is $15 per player (includes team shirt in assigned team color). The event is open to ages 14 and up, and any monetary donation gets someone in as a spectator. Sponsorships are available. Door prizes will be raffled off, and food and drinks will be sold at the tournament. Prizes will be awarded to the first-place team and most creative team/uniforms. Registration is first come, first served. Please make checks payable to "Defeat the Disease." To register a team, inquire about sponsorship or ask questions, please contact Jessica Nelson (firstname.lastname@example.org), or visit the event's Facebook page.
• The 78th Annual Highfalls Old-Time Fiddlers’ Convention will begin at 5:30 p.m. at the North Moore High School Auditorium. The auditorium is located on North Moore Road between High Falls and Robbins. Registration for participants will begin at 4:30 p.m. and end at 7 p.m. Bands can participate without pre-registration. Admission is $7 per person. Tickets can be purchased at the door. A concession stand will be open throughout the evening. More than $1,800 in cash prizes and ribbons will be given in several categories. For more information, call Highfalls Elementary School during school hours at (910) 464-3600.
• The Jimi Hendrix Experience, featuring Chad Spivey on guitar and vocals, Pat Harrison on drums, keyboards and vocals, and David Spivey on bass guitar, will perform from 9-11 p.m. at The Flame/Brewer's Pub. Patrons are encouraged to dress in their favorite 1967-1970 attire.
• The Fayetteville Rose Society will be conducting a pruning lecture and demonstration from 9 a.m.-noon at Fayetteville Technical Community College, Lafayette Hall, room 104. The rose garden is located on the corner of Devers Street and Hull Road. Roger Mercer, well-known local gardener, will give a lecture on rose culture. Bring clippers and gloves for a hands-on experience. Rosarians will be available to assist. For further information contact Olivia at (910) 892-2537.
• Virginia Cross Elementary School will hold a PTA Thrift Sale from 8 a.m.-noon at the school in Siler City. This is also the first day of the school's Scholastic book sale, held in the school's media center during the same time period. Parents are welcome to bring their children to browse the selection and/or purchase books, some at a more discounted rate than can be found in stores.
• Temple Theatre will present “Forever Plaid” at 2 p.m. at 120 Carthage St. The show runs through March 17; Tickets prices are $23 for adults (Thursday night adult ticket is $19), $13 for children/students and $19 for Lee County teachers/educators, active military and groups of 10 or more. Tickets may be purchased in person or by contacting the box office via phone or email at (919) 774-4155 or email@example.com.
• The 10th annual Tapas and Tunes, the signature fund-raiser for Chatham County Together, will be held from 5-8 p.m. at the Briar Club at Briar Chapel, 1600 Briar Chapel Parkway, Chapel Hill. Guests will enjoy gourmet tapas, light bites and desserts. The event will also include a silent auction, raffle and door prizes. Tickets are $40 per person. Event and raffle tickets can be purchased at http://chathamcountytogether.givezooks.com/events/2013-tapas-tunes; it is not necessary to be present to win. To learn more, visit www.chathamcountytogether.org or call (919) 542-5155 or (919) 663-0116.
• The Survivors of Sexual Assault Support Group meets tonight and every Monday from 6:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m. in the HAVEN in Lee County conference room, 215 Bracken St., Sanford. Please call (919) 774-8923 for more information, completely confidential.
• Ballroom dance lessons for beginners will be offered at 6:45 p.m. at the Enrichment Center of Lee County with instructor Judith McDonald, president of Outreach Programs, US Dance. This is a free opportunity for anyone who would like to learn to glide across the floor with confidence. Wear comfortable clothing and bring dance or leather-soled shoes. Class size is limited; call (919) 776-0501 ext. 2201 to register or learn more.
• The March Republican Women of Lee County meeting will be held from 6:30-7:30 p.m. at Lee GOP headquarters at 101 S. Steele Street in Sanford, followed by a dessert social from 7:30-8 p.m. Speakers are Chris Farr from the North Carolina Americans for Prosperity (AFP) and Kirk Smith from the Lee County Board of Commissioners. The RWL supports CUOC (Christian United Outreach Center) in Lee County; please bring a nonperishable donation.