CALENDAR FOR MARCH 13
• A non-partisan town hall for all Lee County residents will be held at 5 p.m. in the Lee County Arts Center auditorium, 507 N. Steele St., Sanford. Speakers include newly elected Lt. Gov. Dan Forest, Administrative Court Judge Beecher Gray, Lee County Sheriff Tracy Carter and Thomas Rhyne of Grassroots North Carolina. Time will be allotted for audience questions. For further information, contact coordinator Frank Del Palazzo at (919) 776-9835 or email@example.com.
• The quarterly membership meeting for the Lee County JobReady Partnership Council will be held from noon-1 p.m. at Southern Lee High School. New career and technical education programs in local schools will be discussed. Those wanting to attend can RSVP by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, responding via the Lee County JobReady Facebook event page or calling Jill Williams at (919) 774-6226 x 1241.
• A Comprehensive diabetic nutrition class, for people with diabetes, their families and caregivers to provide an overview on what diabetes is and how it relates to diet, will be held at 4 p.m. in the community classroom at Central Carolina Hospital, 1135 Carthage St., Sanford. Carbohydrate counting and the plate method will be reviewed. To register, go to http://www.centralcarolinahosp.com/en-US/CWSApps/FindAnEvent.aspx?ClassLink=4500.
• An organizational meeting of the Sanford Farmers' Market will be held from 4-6 p.m. at the McSwain Extension Education Center in the Farm Bureau Auditorium. Produce farmers in the area who would like to sell at the local markets are invited to attend. On the agenda is the election of officers, setting opening dates, grant opportunities and advertising, and more. Those who are current members or would like to join the Sanford Farmers Market are encouraged to attend this meeting. Also during the meeting, NCDA will be present to re-certify produce scales. For more information contact Sue Buie, 2012 market manager, at (919) 356-3007 or the Lee County Cooperative Extension at (919) 775-5624.
• Meals on Wheels of Sanford will hold its monthly board of governors meeting at 9:30 a.m. in the library of the First Presbyterian Church on Hawkins Avenue. All interested parties are invited to attend and learn more about this ministry that serves the homebound in Sanford.
• Residents living in and around Sanford can be screened to reduce their risk of having a stroke or bone fracture by participating in a Life Line Screening at Swann Station Baptist Church, 7592 N.C. Highway 87 South, Sanford. For more information regarding the screenings or to schedule an appointment, call 1-800-697-9721 or visit www.lifelinescreening.com. Pre-registration is required.
• Guests can create a springtime mesh wreath with artist Donna Stees from 6-8 p.m. at the Carolina Artists' Colony. A $40 fee includes instruction and all supplies needed to make the wreath. Visit “events” at www.carolinaartistscolony.com for more information. Call the Colony at (919) 776-3489 to register.
• A program titled “Social Security & Retirement” will be held at 6 p.m. at the Enrichment Center of Lee County. Dargan Moore, CFP, CLU financial advisor, Edward Jones, will lead the program. Participants can get their questions answered about Social Security and see if their plans are going to meet their needs. Call the center to register at (919) 776-0501 x 2201. The event is free and open to the public.
• Temple Theatre will present “Forever Plaid” at 2 and 7 p.m. at 120 Carthage St. The show runs through March 17; Ticket prices are $23 for adults (Thursday night adult ticket is $19), $13 for children/students and $19 for Lee County teachers/educators, active military and groups of 10 or more. Tickets may be purchased in person or by contacting the box office via phone or email at (919) 774-4155 or email@example.com.
• Covenant Preparatory School will host an open house at 7 p.m. at New Covenant Fellowship Church, 1305 Hulsey Road, Carthage (located between New Century Middle School and Union Pines High School). Organizers plan on having sports programs for middle/high school students with intramurals for the younger grades. Enrollment applications are now being accepted for the 2013-2014 school year. The application fee has been waived through March 15. To learn more, contact Kristin at 673-1025 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit the school's newly updated website at www.covenantprep.com for more information and to download an application.
• A free seminar titled “Financing Your Existing or Prospective Small Business (CBS)” will be held from 10 a.m.-noon at the Dennis A. Wicker Civic Center, 1801 Nash St., Sanford. Participants will learn what they need to know to make the financing application process go smoothly and get a "yes" from the bank. Presenter is Floria Oates-Williams. Interested parties can pre-register by calling (919) 774-6442 or emailing email@example.com. Seminars are subject to cancellation without a minimum number of pre-registrations.
• The Sanford/Lee County Stroke Support Group will meet at 1:30 p.m. (time change for this month only) at the Enrichment Center of Lee County, 1615 S. Third St., Sanford. The topic will be adaptive yoga, and the speaker will be Howie Shareff, author of “Sit Stretch Smile” and director of You Call This Yoga. Facilitator is Joy Phillips Murphy. Participants can join other stroke survivors caregivers and others who understand what they are going through.
• The Third Friday ArtWalk will be held from 6-9 p.m. in downtown Siler City, offering visitors food, live music, arts and crafts, wine tastings and more.
• The Knights of Columbus will host a fish fry from 5-8 p.m. at St. Stephen Catholic Church. Plates are $7.50 for adults, $5 for children. Contact Ken Friend at firstname.lastname@example.org or (919) 770-1082 for more details.
• Johnston-Lee-Harnett Community Action Inc. will host a free, public workshop on financial recovery at 11 a.m. at 225 S. Steele St., Sanford.
• Temple Theatre will present “Forever Plaid” at 8 p.m. at 120 Carthage St. The show runs through March 17; Ticket prices are $23 for adults (Thursday night adult ticket is $19), $13 for children/students and $19 for Lee County teachers/educators, active military and groups of 10 or more. Tickets may be purchased in person or by contacting the box office via phone or email at (919) 774-4155 or email@example.com.
• A Quilt Magic craft class will be held from 10:30-11:30 a.m. at the Enrichment Center of Lee County. The activity is like painting by numbers except using fabric instead of paint! No special tools are needed, and no sewing or gluing is required. The kits include all fabric to complete this project. Call The Enrichment Center at (919) 776-0501 x 2201 for more information and to register for the class.
• A girl scout volleyball game will be held at 7:30 p.m. at First Baptist Family Life Center.