Lett's Set A Spell
Each winter, as I recover from a hectic fall schedule and the hustle of the holidays, I go into hibernation, but this time I took it to a higher level of isolation. I remind myself of when I called a close friend and complained about my scattered mind, tired body and restless spirit. Susan told me a story about a group of Brits who went to Africa on safari. After days of hightailing it across the plains the guides refused to go forward. When asked why, one responded: “We are waiting for our souls to catch up with our bodies.”
Since being injured in a car accident in November 2011, my life has centered on health appointments and therapeutic treatments to relieve the pain. Meanwhile I have dealt with some other health challenges, but that’s another story for another day. Focused on getting well, I recently reviewed my NewYear goals that are very appropriate for spring objectives to create a healthier and happier life.
With that in mind, I am honoring these intentions:
(1) I vow to treat my body like a temple and quit eating fattening foods and drinking bad beverages containing white sugar and artificial substitutes that destroy my body and damage my mind. I am eating a high-protein diet and lots of vegetables and fruits and drinking several glasses each day of pure water.
(2) I honor the adage “rest is the ultimate cure,” therefore getting more sleep at night and taking naps to speed the body’s natural healing ability so I will become better than ever before.
(3) I write often in my diary about my thoughts and feelings. Keeping a journal and drawing upon various forms of creative self-expression are very therapeutic. I will focus on writing articles that help others to live more positively.
(4) I put exercise as a priority. I am doing yoga stretches and postures inside and take brisk walks outside. Since the car accident, stiffness sets in if I don’t walk and stretch for a while every day. Also motion heals emotion!
(5) I spend time outside with Mother Nature, even when cold, benefiting from the healing sun, invigorating fresh air and exhilarating scenery.
(6) I seek help from professionals in the form of chiropractic adjustments, therapeutic massage, bodywork, detoxification, nutritional supplements, natural remedies, etc. I will allow the trauma related to the car accident and any negative emotions to surface and be released.
(7) I take soothing baths almost every day … soaking in Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) and baking soda to promote relaxation as well as soothe the pain.
(8) I pray often, asking God for guidance, and meditate more, listening for answers. I trust that the same God who brought me the resources I needed back while living in the cabin years ago will provide me with the financial support to focus on my life purpose: writing.
(9) I express gratitude every second of the day and am thankful that I am alive to move forward this planet. I am available for the Holy Spirit to speak and write through me.
(10) I maintain a positive mental attitude and persistently gain knowledge to grow my mind and seek truth and wisdom to create my greatest possible life.
As my soul catches up with my body, I am balancing physical aids with the mental, emotional and spiritual strategies to healthy living. To thrive, I must always honor the timeless principles of healing body, mind and soul.
Continuing to believe in the best in 2013, I live in tune with cycles of change in the climate and seasons of the heart and fields. While a ripened crop may go to seed in the fall, bare fields will eventually bring forth fruit in the spring. With each day of spring, the days grow a little longer and the light returns!
With warm weather, fresh flowers and growing green all around me, I am claiming rebirth. What about you?
AlexSandra Lett is a professional speaker and the author of “Natural Living, From Stress to Rest;” “A Timeless Place, Lett’s Set a Spell at the Country Store;” “Timeless Moons, Seasons of the Fields and Matters of the Heart;” “Timeless Recipes and Remedies, Country Cooking, Customs, and Cures;” and “Coming Home to my Country Heart, Timeless Reflections about Work, Family, Health, and Spirit.” Lett can be reached at (919) 258-9299 or LettsSetaSpell@aol.com.