Multiple arrests made in fatal home invasion
Five Lee County people were arrested Tuesday in connection with the slaying of Anthony Giles, the man killed in an armed home invasion on Nov. 22. One suspect is still at large.
According to the Lee County Sheriff's Office, the following were charged with first-degree murder, first-degree burglary, four counts of first-degree kidnapping, robbery with a dangerous weapon, possession of stolen goods and conspiracy to commit robbery with a dangerous weapon:
- Phillip Howard Fortune, 21, of the 400 block of Charlotte Avenue, Sanford.
- Akil Mathew McAden, 30, of the 600 block of Barnes Street, Sanford.
- Jessica McCoy, 19, of the 600 block of Maple Avenue, Sanford.
- Wilbert Verndell Bruton, 58, of the 300 block of McIver Street, Sanford.
- Franklin Deon Dorsett, 28, of the 1200 block of First Pointe, Sanford.
- Travis Jamarion McLean, 23, of the 600 block of Scott Avenue, Sanford, is still at large.
Giles, 45, of the 100 block of Hickory Nut Court, was found unresponsive with a gunshot wound shortly before 6 a.m. Nov. 22. He was pronounced dead at the scene by Central Carolina Hospital Emergency Medical Services.
More information in tomorrow’s Sanford Herald.