Local election filing period ends Friday
Area residents interested in public service have precious few hours to enter the political fray.
Filing for the Sanford and Broadway municipal elections ends at noon Friday, with nearly a dozen citizens already committed to the campaign.
In Sanford, the mayoral seat, one at-large seat and seats for Ward 1 and 3 are up for grabs, while four seats, three carrying a four-year term and one a two-year term, are open on the Broadway Board of Commissioners.
The following candidates have filed:
Sanford Municipal Election
* Mayor: Chet Mann and incumbent Cornelia Olive
* Council Member Ward 1: Incumbent Samuel Gaskins
* Council Member Ward 3: Incumbent James "J.D." Williams
* Council Member at Large: Incumbent L.I. "Poly" Cohen and Chas Post
Broadway Municipal Election
* Three Town Commissioner Seats (4-year term): Incumbents Thomas Beal and Jim Davis, Janet Harrington and Betty Sauls.
* Town Commissioner (2-year term): Woody Beale
Early voting for the Sept. 10 primary — which will include Sanford's $14.5 million bond referendums — begins Aug. 22 and will end Sept. 7. The general election is scheduled for Nov. 5.