Officials developing rules on oil and gas exploration to meet in June
The North Carolina Mining and Energy Commission and several of its study groups are scheduled to meet in June to continue developing a modern regulatory program for oil and gas exploration.
The June meetings are on the following schedule:
• June 3, 9-11 a.m.: The Local Government Regulation Study Group of the N.C. Mining and Energy Commission meets at the Chatham County Agriculture Building, 45 South St., Pittsboro. The study group makes recommendations to the full N.C. Mining and Energy Commission on local government regulations for oil and gas exploration and development, including horizontal drilling and hydraulic fracturing. During the June 3 meeting, the study group will review the initial rough draft of the report it is preparing for the Mining and Energy Commission.
• June 6, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.: N.C. Mining and Energy Commission committee meetings. Meetings include the Coordinated Permitting Study Group, Administration of Oil and Gas, the Environmental Standards and Rules committees. The committees were created and staffed by members of the full commission to address specific issues such as handling wastewater during natural gas extraction and the establishment of rules to protect the environment and property rights.
• June 7, 9 a.m.: The full N.C. Mining and Energy Commission meets in Ground Floor Hearing Room of the Archdale Building, 512 North Salisbury St., Raleigh. Fifteen minutes after the adjournment of the Mining and Energy Commission’s meeting, the Trade Secret and Proprietary Information Study Group will meet.
• June 17, 1-3 p.m.: The Funding Levels and Potential Funding Sources Study Group will meet in the 5th Floor Conference Room of Archdale Building, 512 N. Salisbury St., Raleigh.
• June 27: Committee meetings of the North Carolina Mining and Energy Commission are scheduled to meet. Times and locations will be announced later.
• June 28: The full North Carolina Mining and Energy Commission is scheduled to meet. Times and locations will be announced later.
To see a schedule of meetings for the rest of the year, go to http://portal.ncdenr.org/web/mining-and-energy-commission/meeting-schedule.
Please check the North Carolina Mining and Energy Commission’s meeting schedule at this website for any changes in meeting dates, times and location. Also, please continue to check the meeting schedule website for the posting of any new upcoming meetings.