Family displaced by Carolina Trace fire

Authorities rule blaze accidental
Nov. 29, 2013 @ 05:00 AM

No one was injured in an early morning Thanksgiving fire that destroyed a Carolina Trace home.

Carolina Trace Fire Department responded to a single-level home, located in the 100 block of North Traceway, shortly before 7:30 a.m. Thursday, according to Capt. Robert Dufresne.

Two residents, a mother and daughter, and a dog were in the home at the time of the fire, according to Lee County Emergency Services Director Shane Seagroves. The mother was taken to Central Carolina Hospital as a precaution for smoke inhalation.

"The fire was ruled accidental, and our investigation is complete," Seagroves said.

Lee County fire stations seven and five and Harnett County Station 13 responded to the fire, along with other emergency personnel, Dufresne said.

"Smoke was visible from the outside, and a neighbor called it in," he said, adding that the house and one vehicle were a total loss.

Carolina Trace firefighters Joseph Gay and John Cain were credited with "leading the (one) resident still in the house," Dufresne said.

Smoke detectors reportedly are responsible for notifying the family about the fire, he said.

The names of the residents were not released.  

Local American Red Cross Coordinator Michele Bullard said the organization is assisting the family.