One dead, one hurt in Cameron shooting

Dec. 14, 2013 @ 05:04 AM

One man was killed, and another injured, in a shooting at a Cameron home around 2 a.m. Friday morning. Neither man lived at the Ripley Road home where they were shot, although both lived nearby.

James Mallette, a 43-year-old man from the 500 block of Marks Road in Cameron, had died by the time first responders arrived at Ripley Road, located in a neighborhood off of Marks Road. Rayshonne King, a 23-year-old man from James Wilbur Lane in Cameron, was taken to Cape Fear Valley Hospital with at least one gunshot wound. His condition is unclear.

The Harnett County Sheriff’s Office is investigating, although no further details were available from authorities by press time, including whether the incident is being investigated as a murder, whether there are any suspects or persons of interest, what the victims were doing at the home, what kind of gun or guns were used, whether the shooting might be related to any other incidents, and whether a reward will be offered for information.

No one answered knocks at the door of the home where the shooting took place Friday morning.

A neighbor said a noise — which she later determined were likely the gunshots — woke her at 1:47 in the morning, but she went back to sleep — used to hearing blasts from nearby Fort Bragg. But when she woke again a few hours later to walk some neighborhood children to the school bus stop, law enforcement vehicles had blocked the street and detectives were swarming the home two houses down from hers.

Sara Strong walks or drives kids in the neighborhood to and from the bus stop each day, and although she didn’t know who owned or rented the house where the shooting occurred, she said at least two school-aged children stay there.

“It’s tragic that anybody died, but at least it wasn’t the kids,” she said.

The house used to host parties most weekends and would often receive noise complaints, Strong said, but she hadn’t noticed any disturbances for the past few months. This incident dwarfs anything the neighborhood has seen since she moved in, she added.

“I’ve been here 10 years, and it’s been quiet,” Strong said regarding crime in the area. “... It’s been a major shock to us because nothing like that has ever happened here before.”

The last law enforcement officers were departing the scene at about 10 a.m., leaving the yard covered in plastic gloves and the front of the home marked with stickers denoting at least a half-dozen bullet holes through the front door, wall and windows. The home across the street also had what appeared to be a bullet hole in at least one window, although no one answered the door to confirm whether it was from this shooting.