County budget and fire district tax rates to be discussed Monday
Two public hearings — one for the county's proposed $63.5 million budget and the other for the proposed fire district tax rates — are slated for 6 p.m. Monday.
The public hearings will be held in conjunction with the Lee County Board of Commissioners 4:30 p.m. meeting at the Lee County Government Center, located at 116 Hillcrest Drive.
The proposed budget for fiscal year 2013-2014, which begins July 1, lowers the property tax rate from 75 cents per $100 valuation to 72 cents.
Throughout the past two weeks the commissioners have met with each county department to review the individual budgets. The board is scheduled to vote on the budget during its June 28 meeting.
As for the fire districts, more than half of the districts have proposed fire tax increases for the coming year. The Cape Fear, Carolina Trace, Lemon Springs, Northview and Tramway fire tax rates are set to see increases with Clearwater, Deep River and Northwest Pocket rates projected to stay the same. The commissioners will vote on the rates when it approves its annual budget ordinance.
Other items included in the agenda:
* Approval of the Local Coordinated Transportation Plan. A transportation plan must be approved if Lee County intends to apply for various federally funded grant programs.
* A $473,287 contract with Waste Industries to haul and dispose of the county's solid waste and recyclable material.
* A long-term contract between Lee County Health Department and Nutrition that Works, LLC, to provide a registered dietitian to the health department's Women Infant Children program.
* An amendment to the bylaws of the Lee County Economic Development Corporation to include two representatives from the Sanford Area Chamber of Commerce.
* A resolution to join the America's Counties for Energy Independence organization. Proposed by Commissioner Jim Womack, the organization was formed to help counties "efficiently maximize and sustain energy resources," among other things, according to the agenda. The annual fee is $500.