Lee Regional Fair to showcase fresh fun
From mud bogging to horse shows, rides, contests and a hypnotist, the Lee Regional Fair is adding a slew of new attractions for the 2013 fair, which is in less than two months.
Fair Chairman Ronnie Turner said a number of activities are set at the upcoming fair, scheduled from Sept. 10-15, that attendees haven’t seen before in Lee County. A barnyard theater show will stoke the imaginations of young children, he said, and anyone age 18 or younger will be able to register for a horse show and compete against other local riders by displaying tricks at the fair, which is sponsored by the Sanford Lions Club.
A tobacco-tying contest will debut this year, building on the popularity of last year’s tobacco looping contest that will be returning for 2013. Also coming back are the lions and tigers, which made their first appearance last year. An ATV mud bog has been added to the schedule, and several new rides will appear on the midway — but Turner said he can’t disclose information about the rides yet.
And every night, a hypnotist will perform two or three shows, getting into the subconscious of volunteer audience members.
“That’s something we’ve never done before,” Turner said. “I’ve seen it at other fairs, and it seemed to go well, so we decided to try it.”
The fair will still include the local beauty pageants, he said, and the newly crowned Miss North Carolina, Lumberton native Johna Edmonds, is expected to be on hand. As a bit of nostalgia for older attendees, Turner said, a new general store will be set up to look exactly as one would have back in the 1960s.
Those who are already gearing up for the festivities, he said, won’t have to wait much longer. Organizers will start selling arm bands to enter the fair in about two weeks at local schools and Piggly Wiggly stores.
Fairs around the area
From August through the end of September, all of Lee’s neighboring counties have fairs planned too, and the state fair is in October. The details are as follows:
• Moore County: Aug. 27-31; located at 3699 U.S. 15-501, Carthage. More information at http://moorecountyfair.vpweb.com or (910) 215-6893.
• Lee County: Sept. 10-15; located at 505 N. 7th Street, Sanford. More information at www.sanfordlionsclub.com, “Sanford Lions Club - Lee Regional Fair” Facebook page or (919) 776-2714.
• Chatham County: Sept. 19-21; located at 191 Fairgrounds Road, Pittsboro. More information at www.chathamcountyncfair.com, (919) 542-5511 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Harnett County: The date for the fair hasn’t been set yet, said Harnett County Cooperative Extension Agent Lynn Lambert, but a livestock show will be held on Sept. 28 at the fairgrounds, located in Lillington, with parking available behind the Harnett County Courthouse at 301 W. Cornelius Harnett Blvd. More information at www.harnettcountyfair.com or the “Harnett County Regional Fair” Facebook page.
• State Fair: Oct. 17-27; located at 1025 Blue Ridge Road, Raleigh. More information at www.ncstatefair.org/index.htm, “N.C. State Fair” Facebook page, https://twitter.com/NCStateFair, http://info.ncagr.com/DeepFried or (919) 821-7400.