EDITORIAL: Board openings offer opportunities to serve
It’s that time of the year when the Lee County Board of Commissioners makes its appointments to various boards and commissions.
These are extremely important assignments, allowing talented men and women to give of their time and lend their expertise in representing their fellow county citizens in these various areas of service.
The boards on which seats are available include:
• Agriculture Advisory Board — nine vacancies (Greenwood District 2, Deep River District 2, Jonesboro District 2, East Sanford District 1, Cape Fear District 2)
• Central Carolina Community College Board of Trustees — one vacancy
• Economic Development Corporation — two vacancies.
• Board of Health — five vacancies (dentist, one; pharmacist, one; medical doctor, one; general public, two).
• Industrial Facility and Pollution Control Financing Authority — one vacancy.
* Jury Commission — one vacancy.
• Library Board of Trustees — three vacancies.
• Parks & Recreation Commission — two vacancies.
• Lee County Planning Board — five vacancies.
• Sanford Planning Board — one vacancy (alternate)
• Rest Home-Nursing Home Advisory Board — seven vacancies.
• Senior Services Advisory Board — two vacancies.
• COLTS Transportation Advisory Board — two vacancies.
In many respects, a lot of apathy exists in our world. This is a great time for residents to do away with that indifference and put their community spirit and concern to work in these diverse areas. It’s a chance for local citizens to get involved in these sectors of government — serving the public while making a difference within our county structure.
If you believe you can help bring about improvements within one of these agencies, you can obtain an application for these boards on at the county website at leecountync.gov, or contact Gaynell Lee at (919) 718-4605, ext. 5507. Applications are due by 5 p.m. May 17.
Remember — you can help make your community, and your county, better through your service.