THUMBS UP: Memorial Day
It would be nice if there were no need for Memorial Day. That, unfortunately, is not the case. The men and women who have died while serving as a member of the U.S. Armed Forces deserve a special salute for their supreme sacrifice on behalf of our nation and its people.
On Monday, we observe Memorial Day as it is a national holiday. During this special day, let us take time to remember those who perished in the line of duty. As we do so, let us also remember the families of these courageous men and women. We should remember those who served and gave their lives with great honor and respect.
THUMBS UP: Coach K
Duke University men’s basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski has had a change of heart and will coach Team USA through 2016.
Coach K is no doubt revered by those who follow Duke basketball. Then there are those college basketball fans who are not Coach K fans. Say what you will. Coach K is a winner. He’s brought fame to the Duke program — and he’s brought fame to the U.S. Olympic effort, with two Olympic golds under his leadership.
It’s good to see Coach K returning to Team USA as our country continues its excellence in the game of basketball under his tutelege.
THUMBS UP: Graduates
Graduation season has arrived, with those who have attained their collegiate or high school educations prepare for the next steps of their lives. But, first, it’s a time to celebrate their achievements and accomplishments.
Linda Smith, a member of the Lee County Board of Education, was graduation speaker at the Lee Early College commencement and had some great dares for the graduates.
• Tap into creativity early and often.
• Think of yourself in a positive manner. Don’t be scared by a challenge. Convince yourself you can beat it.
• Stay calm, focused and patient, even in the midst of adversity.
• Take responsibility for every choice you make. Don’t blame other people or circumstances.
• Envision yourself successful, and refuse to settle for what you’ve already accomplished.
• Stay balanced, and value work, play and family evenly.
That’s great advice.
To all of our seniors, our wish for each of you is great success as you move into the next phases of your lives.